Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll absolutely wait and see, not a lot else we can do. It's funny though because poor signings we make in the past it seems quite straight forward who gets thr blame, yet the same people are now saying " well we don't know what Lee's circumstances or remit was at other clubs ". Is that going to be the same here then?

Hopefully it all works out but it seems a very needless risk, we are an ambitious club and yet certain appointments or positions are filled with sub standard staff, its bizarre.

I agree with this. Bizarre is definitely the word. We are building a team capable of breaking into the top 6, have a manager whos managed in the top 6 yet we are appointing a head of recruitment who has a pretty poor record at 2 clubs that are nowhere near us in terms of finances and player appeal. Im always willing to give people a chance but it does seem a strange appointment with the way the club is heading. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crispin LA said:

We are getting laughed at by Sunderland and Celtic supporters, they are taking the p*ss out of us on their forums. 

Thanks Brendon and Rudkin. 

I'm not too worried about what Sunderland or Celtic supporters think, Sunderland were a grade "A" shitshow that I don't think even Jesus could save, Celtic are a pathetic club with a budget of ten million.They think that winning the worst division in Europe make them Giants. 

If Brendan thinks its a good move then so do I.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I'm not too worried about what Sunderland or Celtic supporters think, Sunderland were a grade "A" shitshow that I don't think even Jesus could save, Celtic are a pathetic club with a budget of ten million.They think that winning the worst division in Europe make them Giants. 

If Brendan thinks its a good move then so do I.

Yeah let’s bash Sunderland and Celtic as a means of justifying appointing a charlatan, sound logic right there.

All it means he’ll have more money at Leicester to squander on the horrendous players he’ll identify.

Please stop sticking your head in the sand, I was guilty of exactly this when he arrived at my club.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out Congerton is a haddy.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Anyone and I mean absolutely anyone discounting the views of Celtic and Sunderland fans needs to stop being an ostrich. 

Learn from Ghezzal. You know, the Ghezzal that Monaco and Lyon fans screamed en mssse HE'S SHIT and foxestalk went "narh they're just bitter let's give him a chance!" 

Not really sure why it's so hard to accept that some people know more than us about their own assets. Remember when Guingamp fans came on here to describe Knockaert as hard working, skillful but a bit nuts in the head? And what did he turn out to be? Hard working, skillful and a bit nuts in the head. Funny that. 

Ranieri was used as an example in this thread of a man who came here without current form but Claudio Ranieri had literally never, EVER taken a single club backwards in his entire, lengthy career until Nantes (after us.) He left every side he's ever managed in a stronger position. Thats his pedigree, it was there for all to see. 

Congerton's pedigree is also there for everyone to see. It's shit. 

You are comparing players to a Head of Recruitment. That’s not a fair comparison.

Fans can see clear as day how good or bad players are because their qualities are out on display every match day. As such you trust the overall consensus of rival fans.

It’s a totally different kettle of fish with Recruitment. There are so many different people invested in it and there are a lot of external factors that go into it. If a signing flops it’s nigh on impossible for the fans to know why that’s happened and who might be to blame. Someone like the Head of Recruitment is the easy target.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Anyone and I mean absolutely anyone discounting the views of Celtic and Sunderland fans needs to stop being an ostrich. 

Learn from Ghezzal. You know, the Ghezzal that Monaco and Lyon fans screamed en mssse HE'S SHIT and foxestalk went "narh they're just bitter let's give him a chance!" 

Not really sure why it's so hard to accept that some people know more than us about their own assets. Remember when Guingamp fans came on here to describe Knockaert as hard working, skillful but a bit nuts in the head? And what did he turn out to be? Hard working, skillful and a bit nuts in the head. Funny that. 

Ranieri was used as an example in this thread of a man who came here without current form but Claudio Ranieri had literally never, EVER taken a single club backwards in his entire, lengthy career until Nantes (after us.) He left every side he's ever managed in a stronger position. Thats his pedigree, it was there for all to see. 

Well said 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I thought Ranieri left us in a complete Fuching mess to be honest. He was quickly sacked by Nantes and then Fulham. 

• Like 2

Can't see how anyone can defend this appointment. I'm not having the mentality of some fans basically suggesting he could've just been unlucky with what signings went through at other clubs. He's been a complete failure everywhere he's been. It's a disgrace that our club has considered this failure of a head of recruitment worthy enough. We should be matching our supposed ambition in every appointment we make. Why we didn't get Paul Mitchell in when we had the chance I'll never know. 

• Like 2

Looking at LCFC official website it states quotes that he is vastly experienced and has had impressive background working at Chelsea, Hamburg, and Sunderland where his reputation grew. 

It didn't mention that with him in charge of Sunderland they got relegated and almost went bankrupt, at Hamberg when he left they got relegated afew years later and at Chelsea nobody had heard of him cos he was such a minor staff member. 

Edited by Crispin LA
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

Looking at LCFC official website it states quotes that he is vastly experienced and has had impressive background working at Chelsea, Hamburg, and Sunderland where his reputation grew. 

It didn't mention that with him in charge of Sunderland they got relegated and almost went bankrupt, at Hamberg when he left they got relegated afew years later and at Chelsea nobody had heard of him cos he was such a minor staff member. 

By that logic, Sven was responsible for 2015-16.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Criticisms from people who don’t have a scooby though. If he hands in a list of 10 players to Rodgers and 9 of them go on to be great, but the Celtic board only manage to get the dud over the line, fans only see the dud and not all the other work. As I said, Celtic failed to get Schar and Mcginn for him and not they’d cost a damn site more to sign than they did.

Arnesen and Rodgers see the full picture and have seen fit to take him with them because of the players he’s spotted.

It’s almost impossible to have an educated opinion on positions like this unless you are party to the finer detail which we never will be.

There is also a very big difference in what roles people have, their remit and how much of a success they can be. Walsh looks brilliant at spotting the odd diamond, but Everton absolutely hate him as he was over promoted. At Sunderland they made some ridiculous errors that cost them a lot of money, we are talking contract errors that cost them millions. That clouds some of their opinion, but he wouldn’t even be involved in that here, Rudkin is DOF. Plus Sunderland were already rotten to the core well before he turned up.

Get what you're saying but there's too much said against this bloke, too much association with clubs who are performing par at best (Celtic) and disastrous at worst (Sunderland) that I just can't blindly see the positive side of it. I'd like to hope you're right but we can do better than this in our position.

7 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

This thread makes me chuckle to an extent as it is almost word for word the same on many a Celtic forum when he was appointed at our club.

I and many others stuck their head in the sand and said “but look at Sunderland” as a club in the same way some on here are looking at Celtic somehow being culpable for this guy being terrible at his job. Yes we don’t have the vast millions to sign on players but of course everything is relative. 

With the benefit of hindsight just look at this guy’s record at ALL his previous clubs and what ALL fans of previous clubs think of him, it’s not as if he even splits opinion.

The guy is an unmitigated disaster when it comes to identifying players, simple as that.

Sorry @Babylon but how can alarm bells not be ringing? Think we've dropped a clanger here.

15 hours ago, reynard said:

Potential disaster.

15 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

This fills me with dread. 

12 hours ago, Royston. said:

Its best to assume the worst

12 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Beginning of the end for us.

14 hours ago, DannyN83 said:

My god

• Haha 1

Have to take a "wait and see approach." He's not ****ed up yet. Let's wait for that **** up before calling him out on that **** up. It's not like we can reverse the appointment. Rodgers likes him. If you want Rodgers it seems, judging from Rodgers' past, you have to like Congerton too. I'm not saying throw away the pitchforks but let's put the pitchforks to one side for a while. I can't wait for our first out of the blue transfer. I may buy some popcorn.

17 hours ago, mozartfox said:

BR has not put a foot wrong thus far.  So let's give this man a chance.   Any Head of Recruitment that gets every player decision correct is not human.  As long as he avoids mistakes of the magnitude of Slimani/Musa and knows how to operate a fax machine, I am willing to give him a chance.  At Celtic he was fishing in a different pool with limited financial clout.   Calm down folks and enjoy the summer.

:appl: