Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

19 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Anyone able to provide some info on positive work this guy has done? 

All I can see is poor records at Sunderland and Celtic. 

And some mention of Hamburg that apparently wasn't successful either.

It's very difficult to offer up any as Babylon says it's a job or area of football that is hard to dissect as to who was responsible for what. All we know is Hanburg were fcuked after he was there, as were Sunderland. He himself would argue why that was and probably wouldn't take any blame but managers also have many things out of their direct control and require lots of cogs working to be a success. If they were disasters like Congerton then you wouldn't go anywhere near them.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

This isn’t a player they can watch on the pitch though, fans have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, the politics, the processes, who picks who etc. 

We we signed some decent players lately, but if people think Mascia was the man out there solely picking up Maddison, Evans, Ricardo etc they are deluded.

I appreciate that, and I'm not saying we can completely judge someone on the opinions of the fans of the club they've come from. But if he was head of recruitment and his previous side are ecstatic he's going because their recruitment has been dreadful then that worries me - surely the Head of Recruitment and Manager will be most responsible for transfer decisions and we have both of them. Of course Celtic fans probably massively overestimate their pulling power. We're in a very different position to Celtic and Sunderland when he arrived, but it's still reason to be nervous.

I’m prepared to give this fella a chance but ......... I was told some stuff from sland which doesn’t sit well with me. Hopefully that’s behind him. 

he should have made plenty of good contacts over the years ....perhaps if his role is more about bringing all the scouting information together and then making the necessary/initial contact with the agents/clubs he may work out.  

im not going to throw him under the bus without him first screwing up badly here, nor am I going to judge him on this upcoming window unless it’s obvious that a player coming in is down to him. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

I’m prepared to give this fella a chance but ......... I was told some stuff from sland which doesn’t sit well with me. Hopefully that’s behind him. 

he should have made plenty of good contacts over the years ....perhaps if his role is more about bringing all the scouting information together and then making the necessary/initial contact with the agents/clubs he may work out.  

im not going to throw him under the bus without him first screwing up badly here, nor am I going to judge him on this upcoming window unless it’s obvious that a player coming in is down to him. 

Fine. No pitchfork for you then.

This is seriously bad news for the club.

Why the **** has this been allowed to happen.

His reputation is ridiculously bad, I think looking at his history at each club he has a 2/10 success rate on incoming transfers.

Trying to console myself with the fact that Rodgers knows him better than any of us and must see something in him.

I won’t judge him too much on his time at Sunderland as he was Sporting Director, not Head of Recruitment, and we’ve seen with Steve Walsh how different those roles can be. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So if Rogers said I'm only coming if I can bring in LC, what would you have done, said no thanks.

Yes I would,  you shouldn't start off beholden to any new manager without very very good reason ie if it was Pep or Kopp with a really proven track record.  My first question to Rodgers would be 'what is it in his cv thus far that you feel would make him a successful head scout'? Regardless of whether he your friend, a nice bloke and seemingly talks a good game, if we list every player he's been responsible for recommending at his last 3 clubs, let's examine two columns, one the successes and one the failures and they're values. Now after those cold hard facts Mr Rodgers, explain to me exactly why it is you feel that he as an individual that is good enough for Leicester City? No man, player or manager is bigger than the club. Lest we forget,  with what Rodgers had available to him, there aren't many managers unable to achieve what he achieved at this moment in time at Celtic who are a big fish in a very small pond. It's only this season there had been a sign of some competition gor them and he's left. His stock was hardly high here in the Premiership when he got the Celtic job, he should think himself lucky to get the job here as it's a very good one. He's very media friendly and has all the blarney and although it's been very promising and exciting thus far, it's very early days.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

This thread reminds me of the Claudio Ranieri appointment thread.

We are ready to throw someone under the bus before he has even made any signings (with his recruitment team). How can we possibly judge him without seeing what he can do and without seeing how he copes in a different market place. He may well have unearthed loads of players that Celtic couldnt afford, he may have found players who didnt want to go to a largely cold climate playing against a bunch of donkey teams and then there are the players who wanted higher wages. His pool of what he can afford and persuade to sign is much smaller than what he can do now being at not over the premier league and the pulling power we have, being in England and having money.

BTW, before we start making out as if every signing we have made was Messi or Ronaldo, we have wasted tens of millions and 50m of that on Slimani and Iheanacho. 

You make a judgement on career to date.

If we had appointed Harold Shipman as head of medical staff would you be saying "lets just wait and see"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

I appreciate that, and I'm not saying we can completely judge someone on the opinions of the fans of the club they've come from. But if he was head of recruitment and his previous side are ecstatic he's going because their recruitment has been dreadful then that worries me - surely the Head of Recruitment and Manager will be most responsible for transfer decisions and we have both of them. Of course Celtic fans probably massively overestimate their pulling power. We're in a very different position to Celtic and Sunderland when he arrived, but it's still reason to be nervous.

Rodgers was at loggerheads about the failure of their board to get their targets and back him. So that alone should tell you it’s a bit more complex.

Sunderland were bottom and already a total shambles when Congerton joined. Again that tells you there were already huge issues there.

1 minute ago, murphy said:

You make a judgement on career to date.

If we had appointed Harold Shipman as head of medical staff would you be saying "lets just wait and see"?

How easy is it to judge his career when he’s held multiple different roles and there are chains of people involved.

You walk into Sunderland and they are a shambles, bottom of the table with no properly scouting system. How quick are you expected to turn it around? If you go to the Celtic board and say sign Mcginn and Schar, but they don’t back you and you have to scrape the barrel, how easy is it to judge that.

Sure he doesn’t come with glowing fan recommendations, but they don’t have a clue about the finer detail. The man who actually wants him here does though. So perhaps we can give him the benefit of doubt as Rodgers has clearly been impressed with something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

So you all love Rodgers.

Rodgers and Congerton were a package deal.

You hate congerton.

FT

I guess I'll just see Congerton as the mother-in-law of the package deal.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's very difficult to offer up any as Babylon says it's a job or area of football that is hard to dissect as to who was responsible for what. All we know is Hanburg were fcuked after he was there, as were Sunderland. He himself would argue why that was and probably wouldn't take any blame but managers also have many things out of their direct control and require lots of cogs working to be a success. If they were disasters like Congerton then you wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Sunderland were already bottom of the league when he arrived and I’m sure Hamburg got relegated something like 5 years after he left.

Guest SO1
2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes I would,  you shouldn't start off beholden to any new manager without very very good reason ie if it was Pep or Kopp with a really proven track record.  My first question to Rodgers would be 'what is it in his cv thus far that you feel would make him a successful head scout'? Regardless of whether he your friend, a nice bloke and seemingly talks a good game, if we list every player he's been responsible for recommending at his last 3 clubs, let's examine two columns, one the successes and one the failures and they're values. Now after those cold hard facts Mr Rodgers, explain to me exactly why it is you feel that he as an individual that is good enough for Leicester City? No man, player or manager is bigger than the club. Lest we forget,  with what Rodgers had available to him, there aren't many managers unable to achieve what he achieved at this moment in time at Celtic who are a big fish in a very small pond. It's only this season there had been a sign of some competition gor them and he's left. His stock was hardly high here in the Premiership when he got the Celtic job, he should think himself lucky to get the job here as it's a very good one. He's very media friendly and has all the blarney and although it's been very promising and exciting thus far, it's very early days.

"Cold Hard Facts" give me a break. And if we repeat anecdotal knowledge enough times it must be true. Rodgers and all the clubs he managed made mistakes in the transfer market. How's that :)