Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

7 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

Look I know your miffed and your point is valid but Celtic won the European cup been to finals in Europe (in recent history) , have a global following to rival the super clubs , have twice the number of season tickets as we have and play in one of Europe’s only 20 leagues where every player in every team is full time pro , if they were in the premier league they would be massive , same for the mighty Rangers , YES we are richer , YES we are more exciting in term of the future and YES we are now on finances a massive global club but we have to improve in so many ways , this appointment isn’t a good sign of that improvement 

They are a big club with a huge following but the truth is that the Scottish Premier league is barely equivalent to league 2. Any English Premier League club would win the SFL in a cakewalk.

As to Congerton lets give him a chance to do his job and see what he can do.

I still don't care what Sunderland or Celtic fans think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

They aren’t salty at all , it seems they are in total estatics he has left , the posts on twitter etc... suggest Celtic Fans are more happy he has left than They were sad that Rodgers left, the Celtic board also did or said nothing to try stop him leaving , We have to trust Rodgers this  is a massive call by him so we have to trust he believes it’s the right call 

Salty was probably the wrong word, but did Celtic not just have 3 pretty good seasons? You'd think they had been relegated or something.

Congerton sounds like Cetic's Rudkin.

• Like 1

He wasn’t head scout at Hamburg and West Brom wanted him and Hamburg turned them down so he can’t be that bad surely? 

After the sacking of Villas Boas, the entire sporting and youth team were dismissed.[3] After Arnesen was appointed Sporting Director of Hamburg in 2011, Congerton was appointed Technical Director,[4] working alongside head coach, Thorsten Fink.[2]

In October 2012, West Bromwich Albion approached Hamburg to request to appoint Congerton to replace their former Technical Director Dan Ashworth; this was immediately turned down by Hamburger SV.[5]

His CV is absolutely atrocious and fans from previous clubs couldn't have a lower opinion about him. If we're judging our Head of Recruitment from his previous recruitment of players in retrospect then  a monkey with a pencil could have made better picks. 

I'm struggling to find anything positive about this appointment but he's obviously come with BR's recommendation and if he was as useless as he appears on the face of it then I'm sure BR wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. Also I'm sure Top, Rudkin, etc and those responsible for bringing him in have looked at all the evidence and been won round, they would not have let BR bring in someone who was an utter clown.

I'm extremely dubious about this appointment but there must be more to this than meets the eye, Congerton surely must be more competent than he is given credit for from fans of previous clubs he's been at. 

On the other hand though if you can't judge a Head of Recruitment on the signings that a club has made under his watch then what exactly is his job? It's very worrying but I'm trying to console myself that if he keeps getting employed by good clubs and BR wants him here there must be more to it. 

1 hour ago, Nickfosse said:

This man is massively rated in the sports science data analysis world. 

He was also beggar all to do with recruitment, unless he got into it recently. He was first team performance analyst, doing pre and post match stuff

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

He was also beggar all to do with recruitment, unless he got into it recently. He was first team performance analyst, doing pre and post match stuff

That’s right, I was just responding to the person who’d tweeted his moving on. 

I thought that those who maybe are not familiar with the world, that he is regarded pretty much as the best of the best in the trade. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vanity said:

Well that was stupid as f. Recruiting under Macia was seemingly terrific, feels like a major step backwards.

Was it terrific though? Name me a player that we have signed over the last couple of years that has been a success and hasn’t already been very well known to pretty much everyone?

Maguire, Evans and Maddison were courted by pretty much every club of our size. Everyone knew how good they were, we were just lucky enough to convince/afford them.

Similar with Tielemans, world renowned player who only came about because Monaco wanted Silva.

Ricardo was a Puel ‘find’.

It doesn’t leave you much to justify that Macia was any good at uncovering gems.

Edited by Ricey

Can't make this up. Seriously, no one at the club had the backbone to say no to BR. His CV, is gash. 

People on here referencing Slim, Musa and others. We need to learn from those mistakes, not make the biggest one yet.

Head of recruitment means, just that to me. Whether he has the best scouting team in the land. It is all relative now.

Cannot wait for this thread in 6 months when we’ve signed three or four top quality finds and he’s suddenly the messiah despite all those deals probably being agreed before he got here.... fickle football fans as always lol 

I hope he does well, like Brendan he’s had ups and downs... sorry like ANYONE he’s had ups and downs. 

Our transfer “god” Walsh can’t even get a job at the minute... the apparent “worlds best” got let go by Arsenal. This position is difficult to define and not something I think fans can really have much of an opinion on, Lee will be here for his ability to get deals over the line as much as identifying targets... for me a head of recruitment is essentially “the agent of the football club” who has a black book of other agents. 

For anyone who wants a better insight into football recruitment, give Done Deal by Daniel Geey a read, he’s a sports lawyer and gives a great overview of what really goes on during big transfer dealings. 

No one is really sure how Hamburg went, Sunderland for anyone who has watched the documentary was just a mess from top to bottom, and he was the head of recruitment for Gus Poyet and Dick Advocat, two absolute headcases!! Also, let’s take a look at his “dealings” first season.

07B0A206-7B28-450D-A411-C6A2072F8579.thumb.png.4aa6208cd9d4aa455f2b3e163836e057.png

Apart from Rodwell who was actually seen as a coup at the time, what’s he done wrong? PVA is quality now at Palace and was highly rated. Defoe was a club legend still banging goals in. Buckley was highly rated in the championship.

Second season he was head of recruitment for Advocat again, before big Sam came in and asked him to leave in October as he likes to be in charge of signings as we know! 

2D81BD9E-3E78-41D5-82A9-DC99AA4D5768.thumb.png.625f64a7550aeecd754f9f82df894fcc.png

Again, apart from Borini who really at £10m wasn’t the worst gamble ever (Young, could still show some of why Liverpool signed him) the rest are all those sorts of players that again, at the time were rated. Jermaine Lens for example has done great at PSV and Dinamo... he’s not the first person to take a gamble on someone who has done well in Holland! Kaboul was experienced and also one of the few that actually did a decent job keeping them up that season! 

I wont go on and get into Celtic, as A) Its hard to judge any player in that league! And B) I don’t think he was given the resources.

Just take a step back for a second amongst all this backlash and ask yourself whether given the state Sunderland were in, and the fact Poyet and Advocat hated not being in control, did he really do that bad a job? 

• Like 1