Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Actually the people he’s worked for (Rodgers and Arnsen) saw fit to sing his praises and take him with them to their next clubs.

It’s the fans who have absolutely no idea of his role, what he’s done, who he has or hasn’t scouted, who the boards allowed or wouldn’t allow him to sign etc that are critical.

Whose opinion do you put more faith in?

Was the correct answer - Freddie Starr’s hamster ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

His Sunderland form of non loanees and frees will be a good guide to the car crash we've just signed, terrible signing in my opinion (which seems to differ to the mods opinions as every time I make an observation, comment regarding anything that's not kissing the sunbeams out of Rodgers ar$e get's deleted. My opinion is (I'm allowed an opinion right?)  that he will destroy what's been built up so far.

The scouting system?

19 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

That genuinely frightens me. We’ll probably buy total muck.

It’s unlikely the new man will be behind many moves this summer as they often take ages to lineup. Maddison, Ricardo and Evans has been in the works for a while before we signed them. 

But as previously stated the move does make me nervous. I suppose one good thing is the manager trusts him which is very important. Look at Walsh / Koeman and Woodward / Mourinho for what happens when head of recruitment and manager don’t get on. 

The 100m figure I find surprising too. How many players do we actually need? If Tielemans and Bowen came in we are probably good to go. A backup striker would be useful but not essential and Fuchs is staying on another year. If Youri doesn't sign, we still know what sort of player to go out and get. Maybe Dani Olmo from Dinamo Zagreb for example?

Will make for an interesting summer that’s for sure!

Edited by StriderHiryu

I think people are over stating just how vital one man is in the process of identifying and signing players.

Nowadays the recruitment teams are much larger than he they used to be. It’ll be his job to organise that team and put processes in place. We aren’t just letting him loose with the credit card and hoping he comes up trumps.

• Like 1

This was an oppotunity to build a strong off the field team independent of the current manager.

Epl clubs are rich but dont get the benefit coz their expenditure is so inefficient.  Detailed reseach shows this is down to manager turnover which  means players are let go or bought in only for the cycle to be repeated within 3 years. 

Better to eslablish a style of play and range of player profiles to recruit to.   

I would also include sports med, diet, psychology,  fitness and personal development within the rhelm if a hands on technical director. .as well as recuuitment, desposal, contractual management of players (assets).   

Of these i think personalised develooment of players ... skills, fitness and streength, lifestyle and decision making. .... is essential  if they are to become elite. It also suggests that players without an growth mindset (belief they will improve with effort) and grit ( tenacity and willingness to commit) should not be hired.

Hiring rogers mate  ... who will kowtow to him. ...might be great in short term but it is an opportunity missed.  What happens if rogers moves on?

• Like 2

He does seem to have had a track record of identifying some decent players, let’s be fair. His job isn’t actually signing the players - that’s down to the DoF. You can’t necessarily blame him if the people above fail to get the better deals across the line - and you try and convince players to move to Sunderland or join Celtic in a pub league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

****ing idiots 

Hopefully we have enough checks and balances in our system to prevent us signing shite.

Well, it worked ok with Nacho and Slimani...

His track record is certainly very poor and I would rather not have the manager influencing who we appoint in recruitment positions, but think I'll wait and see how he actually does before deciding he's the worst thing to ever happen to the club

Guest SO1
7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

This was an oppotunity to build a strong off the field team independent of the current manager.

Epl clubs are rich but dont get the benefit coz their expenditure is so inefficient.  Detailed reseach shows this is down to manager turnover which  means players are let go or bought in only for the cycle to be repeated within 3 years. 

Better to eslablish a style of play and range of player profiles to recruit to.   

I would also include sports med, diet, psychology,  fitness and personal development within the rhelm if a hands on technical director. .as well as recuuitment, desposal, contractual management of players (assets).   

Of these i think personalised develooment of players ... skills, fitness and streength, lifestyle and decision making. .... is essential  if they are to become elite. It also suggests that players without an growth mindset (belief they will improve with effort) and grit ( tenacity and willingness to commit) should not be hired.

Hiring rogers mate  ... who will kowtow to him. ...might be great in short term but it is an opportunity missed.  What happens if rogers moves on?

I thought the club was showing commitment to a style of play by hiring Rodgers. Rodgers time here will come to an end and I would expect that a new manager, in the same style, will be hired.

This isn't up to Rodgers. It's the responsibility of your DOF Jon Rudkin. Everywhere Rodgers has been he's helped to put a new system in place to benefit a style of play or club culture.

In June one of them might be Champions of Europe. 

Scrambling for positives, he surely cant fcuk us too hard for the foreseeable future???

Assuming Maguire may be the only big name we lose and we have cover already.

Wide players we hopefully wont bring in worse than gray/ghezzal.

Strikers: anyone will be better than nacho and a departed shinji.

I suppose a tielemans replacement is a potential fcuk up:unsure:

Will we even sign a bunch of wasters to clogg the development squad given we have invested heavily into growing our own wasters?

Guest SO1
15 minutes ago, Guest said:

His track record is certainly very poor and I would rather not have the manager influencing who we appoint in recruitment positions, but think I'll wait and see how he actually does before deciding he's the worst thing to ever happen to the club

Conflict is good!  Maybe its time to have Death Grudge Matches between Rodgers, Top, Rudkin, Congerton and a poster of the week to determine who to buy.

That way everyone takes a share of the blame if its determined a dud.

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I thought the club was showing commitment to a style of play by hiring Rodgers. Rodgers time here will come to an end and I would expect that a new manager, in the same style, will be hired.

This isn't up to Rodgers. It's the responsibility of your DOF Jon Rudkin. Everywhere Rodgers has been he's helped to put a new system in place to benefit a style of play or club culture.

In June one of them might be Champions of Europe. 

Its the john rudkin thing i worry about... he is not bad or mad   yet weve out grown him