Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure, all I heard was there was a release clause of £50m so you may well be correct in what you say.

Not sure if I read that or made it up, guess between us we can say it's around  £50mlol

According to the Burnley forum he's at Turf Moore today just not playing.

I think Burnley could really use the money. They've hardly strengthened this summer, and we've seen before they've caved in to reasonable fees like £25m for Keane two years ago.

He'd be a good fit, I reckon, and I think he'd want the move. 26 years old, would definitely boost his Euro 2020 chances ahead of Dunk, and playing in a better footballing side would be great for his development too.

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Tarkowski Chilwell

I hate to say this, but I think this would be more solid than with Maguire. Chilwell  seems to struggle when he has to cover for a walkabout CB as we saw yesterday when Soyuncu stepped up too often.

If the Club thought there was a good chance that HM would leave why give Wes a contract extension?  If we are going sign another CB, the Wes wage seems an utter waste of cash.

Just now, mozartfox said:

If the Club thought there was a good chance that HM would leave why give Wes a contract extension?  If we are going sign another CB, the Wes wage seems an utter waste of cash.

Wes was probably kept not for his on field ability, but for his off field presence. Look at Gerrard in his last year or so at Liverpool.

Having Wes around the place to help the younger players and his presence in the dressing room would be massive. We may only see 90 mins of on the pitch action, but from the bits you hear he is a great presence off the pitch.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Not sure having a premier league winning captain around helping develop younger players is ever going to be a bad thing tbh. 

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Wes is 4th choice centre back.

He's probably on a reduced wage, for another year, potentially very useful in supporting and guiding Soyuncu and Benkovic, and ultimately is still a useful Premier League player as seen late last season under Rodgers.

I'd rather keep Wes for a year than keep both Soyuncu and Benkovic, where one would be 4th choice and would hardly get any games, when they could go on loan and get quality minutes elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Wes isn't just some dead wood in the squad, he started 21 PL games last season! Renewing more than justified. 

Who said he was dead-wood?  Signing JT would put us up to 5 CB's without including others that could step in.   These wages could be better served on a winger and Striker may be?

17 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think Burnley could really use the money. They've hardly strengthened this summer, and we've seen before they've caved in to reasonable fees like £25m for Keane two years ago.

He'd be a good fit, I reckon, and I think he'd want the move. 26 years old, would definitely boost his Euro 2020 chances ahead of Dunk, and playing in a better footballing side would be great for his development too.

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Tarkowski Chilwell

I hate to say this, but I think this would be more solid than with Maguire. Chilwell  seems to struggle when he has to cover for a walkabout CB as we saw yesterday when Soyuncu stepped up too often.

It's harsh to blame Maguire for Chillwells shortcomings, Fuchs manages to cope when his centre back

moves into midfield.

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not sure how true it is but i'm sure it was reported Tarkowski had a £50m release clause, if true why would they accept less?

Because nobody will pay the £50m. Burnley are a selling club (we all are, but some are relatively happy to cash in on assets).

5 minutes ago, notnow john said:

It's harsh to blame Maguire for Chillwells shortcomings, Fuchs manages to cope when his centre back

moves into midfield.

I'm not necessarily blaming Chilwell. All I'm saying is that I think we'll be more solid down that side because Chilwell isn't particularly brilliant going backwards when Maguire pushes upfield and loses it. Tarkowski would be less likely to do that.

I guess we then lose that 'creativity' you get from Maguire.

48 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Quick, someone jump onto a Burnley forum and see what the fuss is about?! :ph34r:

Most think we will take a good but overrated player off their hands, and overpay by tons for the privilege.  Some who don’t want him to leave, are sure he’s just got a minor knock.  Or locked into a stall in the Turf Moor crapper.  One or two are ready to melt.

In other words exactly the same nonsense as on here.  It just won’t take them 400 pages.

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Most think we will take a good but overrated player off their hands, and overpay by tons for the privilege.  Some who don’t want him to leave, are sure he’s just got a minor knock.  Or locked into a stall in the Turf Moor crapper.  One or two are ready to melt.

In other words exactly the same nonsense as on here.  It just won’t take them 400 pages.

Weak b*stards.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, KingsX said:

In other words exactly the same nonsense as on here.  It just won’t take them 400 pages.

We probably will tbf.

But it's the position we've put ourselves in, we can't have it both ways, we can't demand massive prices then expect to replace on the cheap (Unless it's a relatively unknown player that we take a gamble on).

As much as I keep saying the big clubs keep inflating the market by paying such ridiculous prices, we're not helping it by demanding them - That's not to say we shouldn't demand them, of course we should, it's the big clubs faults for paying it, if they can't be bothered to go out, do research, find their own gems or bargains, more fool them.

However on this occasion I feel we need to get an estabilished player, someone assured and due to the deal we've just done with Man Utd, we're now going to have to pay over the odds and make the deal we did with Man Utd not really worth it all that much, we'll have little change out of any replacement all things considered and probably be weaker for it.

Edited by Matt

Over priced at £50m (if it's correct he has a release clause at this) , but so was Maguire. Rodgers will need to make a decision as to whether Soyuncu/Benkovic are PL standard, or likely to be within a few games. If not, I'd prefer to see Tarkowski, than Dunk, as a repalcement. 

• Like 2