Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

England U21's

13 minutes ago, l444ry said:

England are so far behind many continental sides tactically it's embarrassing. Individually good enough but way off the pace as a team.

Huh?  We should have absolutely buried them.

We are finally producing some technically excellent young footballers and we're playing some of the most attractive football I've ever seen from England sides.

BUT, Jesus Christ some of the mistakes from we've seen from both the seniors and U21's in the past month have been absolutely biblical.  I don't even know where to begin or how to explain them.  Too many and too bad to just be bad luck.

Hugely disappointing end for a side that should absolutely be challenging in this tournament.  

6 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Huh?  We should have absolutely buried them.

We are finally producing some technically excellent young footballers and we're playing some of the most attractive football I've ever seen from England sides.

BUT, Jesus Christ some of the mistakes from we've seen from both the seniors and U21's in the past month have been absolutely biblical.  I don't even know where to begin or how to explain them.  Too many and too bad to just be bad luck.

Hugely disappointing end for a side that should absolutely be challenging in this tournament.  

Exactly but the same old story with English football. Individual, technical, golden generation, heard it all before. Nobby Stiles and Roger Hunt wouldn't get a look in with the criteria required to get into an England side these days. 

Edited by l444ry

Have to agree with comments about Boothroyd not being up to the job. His managerial career has been pretty woeful. England need to be more ambitious and forward thinking in their choice of coach, otherwise our young talent will be wasted at international level. The same applies to Southgate. Good guy, he's restored some pride in the national team but does he have the tactical acumen to mix it with the big boys? No chance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

So many chances not taken and so many defensive mistakes, bit embarrassing to watch.

Looked a little stronger in the midfield compared to the senior side but the juniors have the same problems, can't get themselves ahead and away in games and instead seem to fall over themselves to give goals away.

Some seriously talented lads coming through but clearly there are some significant coaching issues that threatens to waste them.

If the FA were serious about progression Boothroyd and his coaching team need to be told the Croatia match will be their last.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueSi13 said:

Looked a little stronger in the midfield compared to the senior side but the juniors have the same problems, can't get themselves ahead and away in games and instead seem to fall over themselves to give goals away.

Some seriously talented lads coming through but clearly there are some significant coaching issues that threatens to waste them.

If the FA were serious about progression Boothroyd and his coaching team need to be told the Croatia match will be their last.

Usually described as over playing with players unable to deal with a high press.

Only saw the 2nd half but we looked Okdecent midfield to up top(missing some chances)but defence was awful.Goalie who didn't want to get his shorts dirty and the two lads in the centre defence were dire no pressure at all on the attackers for 2 goals and overplaying/not making the right decision for the other 2.

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on our English representatives at the tournament. Brilliant finish by Gray, who was good throughout tonight despite the result. I'd love to see him finish like that for us on a regular basis as he has it in his locker.

Maddison really struggled which is a bit of a worry. Obviously he is a young player, but I think one of the reasons for leaving Foden, Mount and Maddison with the U21's was to see if they could become the types of player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and run the midfield. All three are clearly talented, but none of them have that ability yet. If Leicester have aspirations to crack the top 6, we need some of our emerging youngsters to have a standout season, not just a breakthrough one. Luckily we have so many young players there is a good chance one player will, and if none of them do but they are all decentl then we will have a season like we just had maybe a bit better. So we are a promising club in that respect.

A big shame the U21 team couldn't get through, and I have to question the manager on this one. I'm really not sure why he dropped Foden who IMO is the best U21 player we have in the squad despite his age, or why he didn't start with Tammy Abraham for both games. His subs post Hamza sending off against France were also awful. But at the end of the day the players need to have a look at themselves too, as their pitch valuation was something like 150m, and yet players like Pascanu who as far as I know has never been in a senior LCFC squad made them look poor.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on our English representatives at the tournament. Brilliant finish by Gray, who was good throughout tonight despite the result. I'd love to see him finish like that for us on a regular basis as he has it in his locker.

Maddison really struggled which is a bit of a worry. Obviously he is a young player, but I think one of the reasons for leaving Foden, Mount and Maddison with the U21's was to see if they could become the types of player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and run the midfield. All three are clearly talented, but none of them have that ability yet. If Leicester have aspirations to crack the top 6, we need some of our emerging youngsters to have a standout season, not just a breakthrough one. Luckily we have so many young players there is a good chance one player will, and if none of them do but they are all decentl then we will have a season like we just had maybe a bit better. So we are a promising club in that respect.

A big shame the U21 team couldn't get through, and I have to question the manager on this one. I'm really not sure why he dropped Foden who IMO is the best U21 player we have in the squad despite his age, or why he didn't start with Tammy Abraham for both games. His subs post Hamza sending off against France were also awful. But at the end of the day the players need to have a look at themselves too, as their pitch valuation was something like 150m, and yet players like Pascanu who as far as I know has never been in a senior LCFC squad made them look poor.

Is it? Don't see the relevance myself 

Got to think that some of our u21s have played full premier league seasons whereas Pascanu hasn’t (even though he has played a fair of u23 footy). They won’t be as fresh as a lot of those u21s.  Not saying it excuses it but it won’t help some of the players.

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Is it? Don't see the relevance myself 

Well as I said a bit later on in my post:

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Maddison really struggled which is a bit of a worry. Obviously he is a young player, but I think one of the reasons for leaving Foden, Mount and Maddison with the U21's was to see if they could become the types of player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and run the midfield. All three are clearly talented, but none of them have that ability yet. If Leicester have aspirations to crack the top 6, we need some of our emerging youngsters to have a standout season, not just a breakthrough one. Luckily we have so many young players there is a good chance one player will, and if none of them do but they are all decent then we will have a season like we just had maybe a bit better. So we are a promising club in that respect.

Hopefully it doesn't have any effect on our season whatsoever. But let's say that instead of coming home early that Maddison came away being player of the tournament and full of confidence... that would have helped us (and possibly the senior team) immensely. The best players show up in the big games and make the big moments happen, but a young Maddison was quiet in both of the pressure cooker games for the U21 side. It doesn't make me doubt his talent in any way because he's a very good player who I very much enjoy watching play for us. But had he come out of it brimming in confidence, I think it could have really helped us for the season ahead.

• Like 1

Well as I said a bit later on in my post:

Hopefully it doesn't have any effect on our season whatsoever. But let's say that instead of coming home early that Maddison came away being player of the tournament and full of confidence... that would have helped us (and possibly the senior team) immensely. The best players show up in the big games and make the big moments happen, but a young Maddison was quiet in both of the pressure cooker games for the U21 side. It doesn't make me doubt his talent in any way because he's a very good player who I very much enjoy watching play for us. But had he come out of it brimming in confidence, I think it could have really helped us for the season ahead.

I think he'll pick up where he left off last season. Seems very capable of playing the sort of passes Vardy thrives off and has a wicked set piece on him. I don't think this tournament will have too much bearing on his form for us, they just look a poorly managed group of individuals 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I think he'll pick up where he left off last season. Seems very capable of playing the sort of passes Vardy thrives off and has a wicked set piece on him. I don't think this tournament will have too much bearing on his form for us, they just look a poorly managed group of individuals 

Yes in definite agreement there. Surely Boothroyd gets the sack and they bring someone else in? Given the embarrassment of riches available to him, he really did a poor job.

I'd actually suggest giving it to Darren Moore of ex-WBA fame who was very harshly sacked, was responsible for taking a huge punt on an England U21 player (Harvey Barnes), played good football and being a BAME manager would be very refreshing for the game. He's also a very amicable individual who seems humble and entertaining. I doubt that will happen, though I do think they will replace Boothroyd.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

Yes in definite agreement there. Surely Boothroyd gets the sack and they bring someone else in? Given the embarrassment of riches available to him, he really did a poor job.

I'd actually suggest giving it to Darren Fletcher of ex-WBA fame who was very harshly sacked, was responsible for taking a huge punt on an England U21 player (Harvey Barnes), played good football and being a BAME manager would be very refreshing for the game. He's also a very amicable individual who seems humble and entertaining. I doubt that will happen, though I do think they will replace Boothroyd.

You mean Darren Moore? If you do I agree he'd be a good fit. These young talents aren't gonna learn a lot from a dinosaur like Boothroyd. The games moved on and the England U21 managers job should be seen as an exciting job for a young and hungry manager

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You mean Darren Moore? If you do I agree he'd be a good fit. These young talents aren't gonna learn a lot from a dinosaur like Boothroyd. The games moved on and the England U21 managers job should be seen as an exciting job for a young and hungry manager

Yes Darren Moore!

Darren Fletcher... I’ve had a mare... :teehee:

• Haha 2

We can't have people like Boothroyd managing the youth teams anymore, they're too tainted from their league experiences. It's like us with Beaglehole. It has to be more about the style of play and tactics now, you're better off having a coach take the reins. Was Boothroyd ever known for playing good football?

• Like 2