Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

United and City fans have complained that Maguire isn't worth £70-80m or whatever it is the papers are quoting, but that's what hes worth to us just like Dunk is worth £40m to Brighton. Dunk isn't  a bad player but i do just wonder if there are better options out there for a cheaper price. We have apparently offered around £40m for Tielemans who will be our best player if we do manage to get him, whereas Dunk would be our 2nd best centre back at best, so wouldn't seem sensible spending the same amount as we are on Tielemans. I understand that Tielemans isn't wanted at Monaco and Dunk is a key player at Brighton but im sure there would be other options that would be cheaper. The majority of the Maguire money (if he leaves) would be better spent on a new winger and a striker. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

United and City fans have complained that Maguire isn't worth £70-80m or whatever it is the papers are quoting, but that's what hes worth to us just like Dunk is worth £40m to Brighton. Dunk isn't  a bad player but i do just wonder if there are better options out there for a cheaper price. We have apparently offered around £40m for Tielemans who will be our best player if we do manage to get him, whereas Dunk would be our 2nd best centre back at best, so wouldn't seem sensible spending the same amount as we are on Tielemans. I understand that Tielemans isn't wanted at Monaco and Dunk is a key player at Brighton but im sure there would be other options that would be cheaper. The majority of the Maguire money (if he leaves) would be better spent on a new winger and a striker. 

If we are going to spend that amount on a replacement I would like to think we go in for Nathan Ake. Personally think he fits the mould of our team well. 

Has Dunk signed yet?  This would be a monumental signing and a real statement to the rest of EPL.  The statement being LCFC have lost the plot.

I think Dunk is a good defender, however, if (and I am not convinced we will) sell Maguire, I'd like to see the money invested elsewhere. We have 4 decent centre halves, two of which are proven at this level, and if we could buy Tielemans, Fraser (in a swap situation with Gray), Adams, Peresic and Rodriguez (mainly for an alternative option and at £5 mil its not really a risk), I think that would bean outstanding window and would probably still have a relatively small net spend (if Silva is part of the Tielemans deal)

I'd rather the money be spent somewhere else, IF we lose Maguire. I'd rather sign a young talented centre back that can push the 1st team rather than £40m on Dunk. CB isn't much of a priority for me, so use the funds to where it's needed. 

27 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I'd rather the money be spent somewhere else, IF we lose Maguire. I'd rather sign a young talented centre back that can push the 1st team rather than £40m on Dunk. CB isn't much of a priority for me, so use the funds to where it's needed. 

I think we have 2.young, talented centre backs already that we could develop. I am pretty sure Benkovic and Suyoncu (sorry for the spelling) were bought as an insurance for the likelihood we would lose Maguire at some stage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daveb5569 said:

Its alot of money for a player who plays in a team who fights of relegation each year and their defence gets battered, so he might have the grit to be a good replacement if Maguire goes but not for 40 million

see above :dry:

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

We signed two young CB's last summer (who would push for the 1st Team IF given a frigging chance).  Why would need to sign another?   Is BR going to play 1-6-3-1?  (i.e. 4 CB's and 2 WB's?).  But 5000% agree, we do not need Dunk under any logical equation or circumstances, even if HM is sold off.  This cash could be spent strengthening other areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

I think Dunk is a good defender, however, if (and I am not convinced we will) sell Maguire, I'd like to see the money invested elsewhere. We have 4 decent centre halves, two of which are proven at this level, and if we could buy Tielemans, Fraser (in a swap situation with Gray), Adams, Peresic and Rodriguez (mainly for an alternative option and at £5 mil its not really a risk), I think that would bean outstanding window and would probably still have a relatively small net spend (if Silva is part of the Tielemans deal)

Lewis Dunk is advertising the Brighton kit for next season. I don't think Maguire or Dunk are moving this summer. 

14 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Has Dunk signed yet?  This would be a monumental signing and a real statement to the rest of EPL.  The statement being LCFC have lost the plot.

Be good to get a bit more of the thinking behind this comment. I say this on the basis that your strong opinions about Dunk must surely be based on a decent amount of time spent watching and analysing his abilities.

2 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Be good to get a bit more of the thinking behind this comment. I say this on the basis that your strong opinions about Dunk must surely be based on a decent amount of time spent watching and analysing his abilities.

My strong opinion is we do not need him. Analysis? Our recruitment Team decided to spend best part of 30M  on 2 CB's last summer . Why?   Insurance against HM being sold.  If you think Dunk is worth buying, that is your opinion and you are free to make it on this forum.  Next time we are linked with someone I do hope you share with us your in depth analysis of the said player(s).

Just now, mozartfox said:

My strong opinion is we do not need him. Analysis? Our recruitment Team decided to spend best part of 30M  on 2 CB's last summer . Why?   Insurance against HM being sold.  If you think Dunk is worth buying, that is your opinion and you are free to make it on this forum.  Next time we are linked with someone I do hope you share with us your in depth analysis of the said player(s).

It would seem what you call 'analysis' I call 'remembering things'.

As for me posting my own analysis.... I don't have one, since I don't have any in-depth knowledge about Dunk. Which is why I haven't posted a comment about the player's abilitiies. Whereas you seem happy to claim we would be a laughing stock if we signed him based on, well, nothing.

1 hour ago, Perseus said:

Lewis Dunk is advertising the Brighton kit for next season. I don't think Maguire or Dunk are moving this summer. 

There are fewer more unreliable forms of logic than believing that a player will stay where he is because he's been pictured advertising his club's kit two months before the new season begins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

I think we have 2.young, talented centre backs already that we could develop. I am pretty sure Benkovic and Suyoncu (sorry for the spelling) were bought as an insurance for the likelihood we would lose Maguire at some stage.

Of course they were but please quote me some stats of their EPL experience for me to be convinced they can fill the gap left by Harry.... I think I am the only one who likes this signing. 27 on the verge of the England squad, huge prem experience, good leader and potentially 40mill left in change. It’s a yes from me.

Edited by TaggertvsWise

47 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Of course they were but please quote me some stats of their EPL experience for me to be convinced they can fill the gap left by Harry.... I think I am the only one who likes this signing. 27 on the verge of the England squad, huge prem experience, good leader and potentially 40mill left in change. It’s a yes from me.

I'm in favour of it too. There is no doubt I'd feel more confident going into this season with Dunk in the team. Benkovic and Soyuncu SHOULD be enough but what if they're not? Neither are proven at a high level and one is injury prone..... 

If we can get Dunk to replace Harry, it should be done.