Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It’s only unnecessary if those in charge rate what we have. Morgan can’t be relied upon now. Evans is a starter, Benkovic and Soyuncu we have absolutely no idea if they can cut the mustard. And Benkovic is also injury prone.

Do people really fancy going into the season with Evans and one of Soyuncu and Benkovic as starters in year everyone keeps banging on about potentially being a prime year to crack the top 6.

Personally I think that would be borderline football suicide.

I agree Babs. 

The point is that if they're not rated currently then we probably did another 35m of bad business on these two last summer.

Get Dunk in absolutely if that is the case. 

Edited by Stevosevic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I agree Babs. 

The point is that if they're not rated currently then we probably did another 35m of bad business on these two last summer.

I wouldn't write them off as bad business just yet. They do need to be playing and not just providing cover if their going to progress. Football management. What a nightmare.

Assuming the price is right ~£25m then I think it's a smart signing if Maguire is actually off.

Caglar, while showing signs of his clearly big talent, clearly hasn't properly settled and Benkovic is still a kid and has a worrying injury record.

We can't afford to be playing Wes Morgan too much. 

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I agree Babs. 

Both might be fine but for me it’s too much of a risk to wait and see.

Next season with Vardy still being at it, still likely to have Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo etc. Is probably the best shot we have of jumping up the league, when coupled with other teams being in transition.

I don’t fancy gambling on those 4 CB’s being enough.

• Like 2

If Maguire goes then I'm all for going forward with the 4 CBs we have, but if the club think it be worthwhile bringing in Dunk then I wont moan. Everytime I saw him play he looked a great player. 

Our main focus really needs to be on another striker to take the burden off Vardy.  

35 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I agree Babs. 

Soyuncu looked decent when he played and Celtic fans have been comparing Benkovic to VD so not sure how you keep making this assumption.

Fill your glass up.

• Like 2

Hmmm. Maguire and Evans worked well because Evans was more of a stopper while Maguire was able to break lines with his passing and the occasional 50 yard run through the pitch.

ive really enjoyed the last few games where we were able to keep the ball out the back and bring teams onto us and play through the press, calmly.

dunk isn’t someone who I assoiyite with that, any pressure on him and I’d though he’d twat it 60 yards up the pitch, not what we need. Strange. 

Would be the worst bit of business possible if we said no to £40 Million for Tielemens but yes to £30 Million for Dunk.

Centre back is not a priority in my opinion even if we lost Maguire.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

I agree Babs. 

One plays for the Turkish National side and the other just made his debut for the World-cup finalists.   Bad business????  Me thinks not.  With BR doing the coaching, there is every chance they will cut it - they must given the chance first.  We cannot go wasting money on Dunk when there are more important areas that need attending too - Striker being the main one.  

• Like 1

He's actually very good. I doubt it'll happen because I can't see anyone paying what we'd ask for Maguire, but we could do far, far worse for a replacement. If Brendan and the Gang decide they don't really trust one/both of Soyuncu and Benkovic then we would need to get someone in and he fits the profile. Seems he's being written off a bit as a big hoof merchant clogger because he plays for a shit team and has a one-syllable surname.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

It’s only unnecessary if those in charge rate what we have. Morgan can’t be relied upon now. Evans is a starter, Benkovic and Soyuncu we have absolutely no idea if they can cut the mustard. And Benkovic is also injury prone.

Do people really fancy going into the season with Evans and one of Soyuncu and Benkovic as starters in year everyone keeps banging on about potentially being a prime year to crack the top 6.

Personally I think that would be borderline football suicide.

I would put faith in them because otherwise it seems likely it was panic buying on our part or poor planning at the very least. The only logical explanation for getting both of them was that it was too good an opportunity to miss out on them and that at some point both of them would be in the mix for a first team spot. You are right that if the coaching staff and management don't rate them then we might have to swallow it and strengthen should we lose Maguire, but it seems overkill on the face of it to me. I don't see what has changed in the last season whereby we were buying them in case Maguire went to now not trusting them if Maguire goes. Benkovic has done everything that could be asked of him in the SPL, it's been a great season and he's now in the Croatia national squad. His profile and experience at a young age would have him in good stead. He has had a few injury problems but to deem him injury prone when last season has mirrored previous seasons in the amount of games he has played would again be odd of our club, if it were a problem then why sign him? Likewise Soyuncu, for club and country his experience at his age is vast. I thought he did ok in the games we saw last season, he made a few errors but so did Maguire. I think the only way he is going to settle is by being trusted and played more.

I don't think central defence with those options will be as much of a concern as goals scored if we don't significantly strengthen in midfield and attack. Our record without Maguire in games last season wasn't poor.

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

What’s wrong with behind the scenes currently? This the strongest position Leicester city have ever been on and off the pitch, a position created by quality structuring off the pitch.

Lost our head of recruitment and replaced him with Lee Congerton. Concerns over the academy as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

Hmmm. Maguire and Evans worked well because Evans was more of a stopper while Maguire was able to break lines with his passing and the occasional 50 yard run through the pitch.

ive really enjoyed the last few games where we were able to keep the ball out the back and bring teams onto us and play through the press, calmly.

dunk isn’t someone who I assoiyite with that, any pressure on him and I’d though he’d twat it 60 yards up the pitch, not what we need. Strange. 

Consensus on the Brighton forum is his passing is well up to scratch. Obviously I can't vouch for their judgment as to how good he is at it, but in terms of 'intent' he's not a hoofer. Obviously 50 yard runs up the pitch is a fairly unusual thing to have in a centre-back's locker... there's no getting away from the fact I'll miss those if Harry goes.

As an aside (and forgive me if already mentioned) Dunk looks like being given the skipper's job if he stays at Brighton (he's already vice-captain and has already stood in for half the season in Bruno's absence)

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I would put faith in them because otherwise it seems likely it was panic buying on our part or poor planning at the very least. The only logical explanation for getting both of them was that it was too good an opportunity to miss out on them and that at some point both of them would be in the mix for a first team spot. You are right that if the coaching staff and management don't rate them then we might have to swallow it and strengthen should we lose Maguire, but it seems overkill on the face of it to me. I don't see what has changed in the last season whereby we were buying them in case Maguire went to now not trusting them if Maguire goes. Benkovic has done everything that could be asked of him in the SPL, it's been a great season and he's now in the Croatia national squad. His profile and experience at a young age would have him in good stead. He has had a few injury problems but to deem him injury prone when last season has mirrored previous seasons in the amount of games he has played would again be odd of our club, if it were a problem then why sign him? Likewise Soyuncu, for club and country his experience at his age is vast. I thought he did ok in the games we saw last season, he made a few errors but so did Maguire. I think the only way he is going to settle is by being trusted and played more.

I don't think central defence with those options will be as much of a concern as goals scored if we don't significantly strengthen in midfield and attack. Our record without Maguire in games last season wasn't poor.

Lost our head of recruitment and replaced him with Lee Congerton. Concerns over the academy as well.

True, but we lost our saviour Walsh and replaces him with the man responsible for Tielemans, Maddison, Ricardo etc. Concerns over Congerton possibly can be valid due to previous track record but only time will tell with that one. 

Been concerns over our academy for a little while now, but there aren’t many clubs in the premier league with 2 starting academy graduates in their first XI so we can’t be doing too horrendously, although I do agree there is room for improvement. (Barnes+Chilwell)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When we signed them Wes was still playing a significant role, which is very very unlikely now and he could regress even further any moment. So we still had two experienced starters if we lost Maguire last summer. Now we don’t have that. 

If if we are happy with another top 10 finish then there is probably no need to buy another. But if people seriously want to push on you can’t be seriously putting your faith in those two so heavily IMO.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

When we signed them Wes was still playing a significant role, which is very very unlikely now and he could regress even further any moment. So we still had two experienced starters if we lost Maguire last summer. Now we don’t have that. 

If if we are happy with another top 10 finish then there is probably no need to buy another. But if people seriously want to push on you can’t be seriously putting your faith in those two so heavily IMO.

All depends on how much money we have. I still think scoring goals will be the defining factor as to whether we finish nearer to the top 6 than the last 2 seasons. If we can sell Maguire, buy Dunk, buy Tielemans, buy a winger like Sarr or Malcom and a back up striker then happy days even if I think it'll be to the detriment of Benkovic and Soyuncu here. However, if we can't strengthen these areas then I don't think £30-40m on another centre half is shrewd business. Rodgers teams score goals, we need those key areas strengthening much more than our defence. We prioritised resolving our defensive problems last summer. Now we focus on midfield and attack and then see what's left to be done.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I suspect that the two purchases had as much to do with Morgan's waning powers as uncertainty over Maguire. The plan might have been to start this season with Soyoncu and Benkovic as numbers 3 and 4 behind Evans and Maguire, a plan that doesn't look so clever now that Wes has another year. 

There is too another logical explanation for getting both of them: economics. They might (again!) have been seen as buys that could only go up in value compared to the purchase price, and it might (sorry!) have been the case that the plan was to keep the better of the two and sell the other at a profit.

I have no idea whether Cags and Benko are good enough and reliable enough now to be numbers 2 and 3 (with and behind Evans, ahead of Wes) at CB. If not, and IF Harry leaves, we need to buy a CB good enough to be either our second or third choice in that position. I rate Dunk but don't know his play well enough to know if he's that good. As I didn't know how good Harry was until he'd payed for us! Personally I hope Harry (and everyone else important) stays and we still spend £80M+ this summer: it's Europe or bust this season!

• Like 1

We absolutely have to have 4 cbs we can trust and possibly some(youth players/Amartey/Ndidi/Hamza) who are capable of sliding in in an emergency.

If we have to go out and spend 30/40 mil on a center half and don't have the money to add another 20+ goals then we should do an attitude adjustment about where we finish in the league. I'm ok with expectations being lowered to a point but when they come for Chilwell or the others next year.......... will we ever have the money to push the squad over the top and into the top 6.

Starting to make my head hurt now all the what ifs and whens. I've never reconsidered my position so many times until I read this thread........ I QUIT :plancque:

Edited by SO1

I don't get the assumption that Benkovic is an injury risk. The only injury I'm aware of is the one sustained last season, which I believe might have happened because of playing on an artificial surface - something that won't happen in the Prem - and a reoccurrence of it which was surely down to it not being managed properly (again, a much less likely occurrence if playing as part of our squad in the Prem). 

Can anyone give convincing evidence of his being a significant injury risk?