Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Boys v England women

A poll revealed that 100% were of the opinion that an under 17 boys team would beat the The England women

under 16 was down to 76%, and under 15 was only 34%

Don't know about under 15 winning,but surely under 16 would win, there can be a big difference in growth rates from 15 to sixteen in young men.

Edited by treer

17 minutes ago, treer said:

A poll as to at what age a boys team would beat a Women's international  team, I thought my post was crystal clear on that.

Btw, it pertains to Football teams

I think the previous poster was asking where you got your information from, preferably with a link :thumbup:

Personally I don't think women's and men's football should be compared in terms of at what age will a male team beat a women's international team. It's a different game. The women's game is less blood and thunder and the game can sometimes be a lot calmer in the thirds closest to the goal, but the technique and technical play is often right up there with the men's game. It's a fascinating and entertaining watch, and it deserves the platform it's getting at this World Cup. The higher attendances certainly help the watchability of the games, which the SheBelieves Cup definitely lacked. It's on the up, which is only a good thing as it means more good football to watch :scarf:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, treer said:

A poll revealed that 100% were of the opinion that an under 17 boys team would beat the The England women

Don't know about under 15 winning,but surely under 16 would win, there can be a big difference in growth rates from 15 to sixteen in young men.

Think an over 70s pub side could beat them.Shocked how bad the standard has been

8 hours ago, treer said:

so what? Pointless poll (wherever it is - since you don't link it) which serves only to feed the narrative of belittling the women's game. 

Participation by girls in football is on the up and has been for years. This is a good thing. There is no need to compare the two since they won't be playing against each other. 

• Like 3

In athletics, the world records for women are frequently considerably 'worse' than the national record for American high school boys. Yet those achievements are - rightfully so - still given the credit they deserve and those women are lauded as being at the pinnacle of sport. For some reason, that admiration seems to go completely out of the window when it comes to football.

Yes the standard across the board is lower, but this is still the top level of the sport and slandering it by comparing apples to oranges is completely unnecessary. If you don't like it don't watch it, but no need to attempt to degrade it at every opportunity.

• Like 4

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Just reminded me of Alan Brazil ranting about Bellerin's diet :ph34r:

Hector Bellerin's vegan diet criticised by man who is a perfect advert for healthy living

I actually have a story about Alan Brazil. 

It was about five years ago and me and a friend were watching the racing in a boozer near Smithfield market - he was great company but absolutely steaming. Betting on his phone, in cash and with others, had a great chat about football and we got onto the horses and he loved it as we knew our stuff, we backed My Tent or Yours and it came so my mate said to him, fancy a Jaegerbomb Alan??

He said no so we said get yourself a drink anyway on our tab, he said cheers lads I'll have three peronis - I admired the gall of it.

Because I'm Canadain, I'll add this in:

Hayley Wickenheiser, who's regarded as possibly the best female hockey player ever, decided to try to play with the men. She played briefly for a team in the 3rd tier of Finland. She did manage to score a couple goals. The team was promoted and she wasn't offered a new contract.

Now I've never seen a game from the 3rd division in Finland, but I imagine it's just above the level of the men's recreational league I used to play in.

People here support both the women's hockey and football teams. When it's the World Cup or Olympics there's lots of enthusiasm, but neither would get enough support for their own leagues.

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've never understood why people need to be so committed to shitting on the quality of women's football. It's not a mystery or a secret, it's there for anyone to watch. If you like it, watch it. If you don't, don't. 

?‍♂️

I think it's probably the fact that every media outlet, pubs and TV channels are now insisting the two sides of the game are exactly alike. 

In the push for equality we're no longer allowed to acknowledge any form of difference and it ****s people of. It's an element of thought policing and I can see why people get irritated. 

Personally I couldn't give a ****. 

• Like 3

This isn't a rant about women's football, but I can't stand the media's response to it...

I never forget the BBC a a year or two a go had the sport home page plastered with the headline "European Superstar to make Chelsea Move" but once clicked it was on about the ladies team and the story pushed up the rankings by clicks - there was no reason for it to be major news (other than the BBC's relentless agenda to balance both gender's games)

The truth was the news in reality was no bigger than Forest Green's men team buying a new reserve right back.

TalkSport and the BBC's coverage of the Women's World Cup iover the past few days has been excruciating in my opinion. Driving home earlier I listened to Durham and Gough and for the 3rd day in as row they awkwardly banged on and on about how we all "need to embrace Women's football" because it's brilliant and would be just about as good as the men winning the cup!

Switch to the R5 Live and it gets worse, forced so much "You must respect women's football and it is brilliant because we say so and all the "me too stuff" invite feminist guest 1,2 and then 3... 

I like women's football and fully respect the effort that is put in love the fact that young girls might want to emulate their stars - BUT STOP TRYING SO ********* HARD MEDIA!!!! :mad: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

TalkSport and the BBC's coverage of the Women's World Cup iover the past few days has been excruciating in my opinion. Driving home earlier I listened to Durham and Gough and for the 3rd day in as row they awkwardly banged on and on about how we all "need to embrace Women's football" because it's brilliant and would be just about as good as the men winning the cup!

Adrian Durham is so embracing of women's football he once wrote a column saying men should play in goal because the keepers were so poor.

You would believe listening to the media that women’s football (and cricket for that matter) are hugely popular, yes, the standard had improved dramatically in both sports but there is still not the huge interest in it that the media like to portray, both sports are growing, but very slowly, the technical ability of the women’s England cricket team is excellent but are many people interested in them? No not at the moment, the media just need to take a tiny step back instead of trying to fool the general public into believing both sports are on a par with the men’s game.

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

You would believe listening to the media that women’s football (and cricket for that matter) are hugely popular, yes, the standard had improved dramatically in both sports but there is still not the huge interest in it that the media like to portray, both sports are growing, but very slowly, the technical ability of the women’s England cricket team is excellent but are many people interested in them? No not at the moment, the media just need to take a tiny step back instead of trying to fool the general public into believing both sports are on a par with the men’s game.

It doesn’t seem to me that girls cricket is growing as much as football, my daughter plays both and is the only girl at her age, but girls football is growing rapidly and the take up is becoming huge and will only grow after this World Cup, especially if England do well. There are some very very good girls out their in girls teams and also playing for boys teams, the number of girls tournaments are rising and there’s girls teams playing in boys leagues and doing well in them. The standard will only get better as rather than girls coming into it at 7/8 they’re now starting much younger. 

I honestly don't understand people getting  worked up over the coverage, weather you think it’s being forced down your throats or not, why does it bother people so much, there’s all sorts of crap pushed on us, you’re not going to like everything. A lot of the narrative of men’s football is bullshit media overhyping but I chose to ignore it or switch over when it gets tiresome. I guess I’m too lazy to get wound up. lol 

• Like 1

A few years ago unplayed lacrosse. Beauty of lacrosse is the men's and women's games are very different. Men's game is very physical, big pads, hit each other with sticks. 

Women's game is still fierce but alot more skillful. 

Different equipment, different sticks different rules different games. Made the difference between the 2 much more appealing and made the men Vs ladies debate null and void. 

I'm not sure how that could be achieved in the women's game but it would be good to not just replicate the games like for like

I just think the pitch and goals are too big for the women’s game. I’d like to see it get enough traction to allow for dedicated pitches more suited to the reduced speed and power possessed by women. 

On 10/06/2019 at 13:44, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think a large part has to do with it being rammed into people's daily lives currently. The women's game is being pushed on social media feeds that were previously just for the mens' teams, in the top 3 articles on the BBC Sport website, brought into the discussion on TV/radio discussion/debate...

When people feel they are having something forced upon them, they are more likely to push back by overreacting and going on the offensive about that thing (like the OP has done to a certain extent).

It was the same with the Alex Scott stuff this year - I don't believe she was really being 'abused' by online 'trolls', I just think that people were expressing their frustration at turning on any football show and seeing her on it (in the same way seeing Alan Shearer on absolutely everything would become tiresome).

Then they are immature...

Discrimination of the sexes!!

It's just macho bigotary..

Trying to analyse it ,to find excuses even worse...some men and women just can't

Handle having to grow up...and criticism of women's sport comparing against men's,just to grind out their male arrogance is quite pathetic,it's like a species-racism....a complete insult to one's intelligence..

I know what I said is fair & true..cos my daughters and wife told me so!!!

On 10/06/2019 at 06:42, Finnegan said:

I've never understood why people need to be so committed to shitting on the quality of women's football. It's not a mystery or a secret, it's there for anyone to watch. If you like it, watch it. If you don't, don't. 

?‍♂️

I think it's because it's being pushed hard and artificially into the media (primarily by the BBC) beyond the actual real levels of interest in it. Sure, I know, it's called 'promotion', but even as you say, you do or you don't. Maybe the hard sell will garner new fans, but hard sell usually gets a fair few people's backs up too.

For all the supposed 'interest' in women's football, I don't see the pay to view channels scrambling to get coverage.

The standard of women's football really isn't anywhere near the men's. Compare it to tennis. I reckon women in the top ten rankings could beat mean down in the hundreds, maybe even higher, whereas I watching women's football, and I'm thinking non-league teams would comfortably win. My only guess as to why is because it hasn't been given similar profile to something like tennis.

So maybe in 20 years time.

I've said elsewhere, I don't see how it's any different to BT trying to pretend formula E is massive. 

There's not a lot of football on at the moment, so they're pushing the world cup. It's not like you can't get any news on men's football during the season because they're always covering the women's game instead.