Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Carabao League Cup 2019/20 Thread

4 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Ward 

Justin 

benkovic

morgan

fuchs

mendy

silva 

praet

barnes 

gray 

kelechi 

that side should be more than capable of beating a weakened Newcastle side. This isn’t the team I’d necessarily put out though! 

i have zero confidence in any team with silva in it ever being anything other than utter dog shit tbh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Not particularly bothered about this competition, particularly how it's been run, embarrassing at times under the Carabao link.., the FA Cup is where it's at for LCFC.

This cup has sadly lost its gloss due to this Carabao sponsorship.

Having said that I do prefer the two legged semis over the excessive use of Wembley. Only finalists or internationals deserve to play at the national stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

How uninspiring. I’d say sack it off for premier league clubs, just have the championship down. Or at least sack it off for those in Europe. 

Not a bad shout. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but, technically, it should probably already exclude the top flight – as it's officially the "English League Cup" (currently called the EFL – Carabao Cup or whatever).

You could ask, with some justification, what the Premier League has got to do with it?

1 hour ago, HitchinFox said:

You could ask, with some justification, what the Premier League has got to do with it?

I think the tradition of the league cup being contested between the top four divisions of the English football pyramid has got a bit more relevance than what the current commercially-driven name they've got today. The "Premier League" itself is just a name. We're still Division One. With more money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Not a bad shout. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but, technically, it should probably already exclude the top flight – as it's officially the "English League Cup" (currently called the EFL – Carabao Cup or whatever).

Gives the opportunity for the reserves to get a runout though 

5 hours ago, Wizerud said:

I think the tradition of the league cup being contested between the top four divisions of the English football pyramid has got a bit more relevance than what the current commercially-driven name they've got today. The "Premier League" itself is just a name. We're still Division One. With more money.

Of course. Hard to disagree with that. 

However, from a legal point of view – and this is purely pedantic – The Premier League is actually a separate corporate entity, with the 20 clubs being shareholders. So not part of the EFL in any way. 

Anyway. Pedantics. I'd personally hate to see the League Cup become a pointless trophy competition. It's got great history and for the clubs outside the top four, it's still a meaningful competition. 

Maybe Prem clubs could choose whether they take part or not – I could see the clubs in Champions League not wanting extra games?

Actually, that's a terrible idea.

Edited by HitchinFox

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

As shit draws go that is probably up there with the shittest it could be. What a dull first few days of the season. 

Our reserves should hopefully be better than theirs. 

They'll have Bruce as a CB and Malcolm Mcdonald up front.. 

Having a random sponsor does nothing for the League Cup, I don't know the psychology behind it but it's safe to say the more well known or prestigious the brand sponsor, the more important the cup becomes. In the early stages it gets referred to as the Carabao Cup and nobody seems to care but by the QF's a lot more people refer to it as the League Cup, completely ignoring the sponsor. 

I reckon get sponsorship from Pizza Hut, sort it right out 

• Haha 1

On 17/06/2019 at 14:35, Voll Blau said:

The complete degradation of a trophy I'm proud we've won three times continues then.

Disgrace.

To be honest, I still find doing the draw in a supermarket less of a degredation to a competition's prestige than playing the semi finals at Wembley. :dunno: