Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

15 hours ago, FireFox said:

He won't be replaced with someone who costs +80m. If we sell him, why not buy a 40m CB replacement and 40m winger to replace Ghezzal/Gray?

I don’t think that was the point Rama was trying to make to be honest. Also we won’t make £80m off this deal. Don’t forget Hull’s cut from the deal, loyalty bonus, legal fee’s, plus instalments. 

For me personally IF we do sign a big money wide man this would be the order I would have them in.

1) Ryan Fraser. Barnes has looked equally as good on the right & scores his first goal on the right. Bring Fraser In on the left & shift Barnes to the right.

2) Florian Thauvin. His stats are just simply amazing. Contributed to 87 goals & assists in 131 games, giving him an average of a goal or assist every 1.5 games. They are ridiculous numbers across 3 seasons.

3) Ismaila Sarr. From watching quite a bit of him after we originally got linked it’s clear to see this lad is very raw still, however I genuinely think with the right coaching this lad can become one serious player in the premier league. 

Cheaper alternative to all the above is you go for Jarrod Bowen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Stick faith in Barnes and Gray otherwise gives wrong message to youth academy imo

Grays last chance mind

and still wouldn’t surprise me if ghezzel showed some improvement and pushing for bench as an impact sub 

If we are going for it, then no point doing it half hearted as Babylon says. A genuine quality winger is the obvious weakness on the right which would cost us between £30-50m which is significant but perhaps do-able now FFP rules have relaxed. There's always the option to cash in on Maguire to fund it as well.

• Like 1

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

For me personally IF we do sign a big money wide man this would be the order I would have them in.

1) Ryan Fraser. Barnes has looked equally as good on the right & scores his first goal on the right. Bring Fraser In on the left & shift Barnes to the right.

2) Florian Thauvin. His stats are just simply amazing. Contributed to 87 goals & assists in 131 games, giving him an average of a goal or assist every 1.5 games. They are ridiculous numbers across 3 seasons.

3) Ismaila Sarr. From watching quite a bit of him after we originally got linked it’s clear to see this lad is very raw still, however I genuinely think with the right coaching this lad can become one serious player in the premier league. 

Before we go throwing down 30/40 mil on Sarr I'd like to see the right coaching (Rodgers) on Gray for a year. We'll know before Aug 8th whose surplus to requirements here.

Sure that Rodgers has been going over the squad with a fine tooth comb looking for ways to maximize the potential of every player in the club.  I still like Bowen price and goals

but I know nothing.

Edited by SO1

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Before we go throwing down 30/40 mil on Sarr I'd like to see the right coaching (Rodgers) on Gray for a year. We'll know before Aug 8th whose surplus to requirements here.

Sure that Rodgers has been going over the squad with a fine tooth comb looking for ways to maximize the potential of every player in the club.  I still like Bowen price and goals

but I know nothing.

You're right, you know nothing (when it comes to Gray). ;)

May be worth keeping till Christmas to see whether he improves BUT there is no way we should be going in to the season, going for top six, with Gray in the first 11.

• Like 1

Guest SO1
7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You're right, you know nothing (when it comes to Gray). ;)

May be worth keeping till Christmas to see whether he improves BUT there is no way we should be going in to the season, going for top six, with Gray in the first 11.

He isn't in the first eleven because it doesn't exist. A figment of your imagination :)

1 hour ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Stick faith in Barnes and Gray otherwise gives wrong message to youth academy imo

Grays last chance mind

and still wouldn’t surprise me if ghezzel showed some improvement and pushing for bench as an impact sub 

you cant seriously think Leicester City would be sending the wrong message to young players if they replace Gray, surely?

Gray has had plenty of opportunity to develop and hasn’t.

his place in the team is the most vulnerable, i think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest SO1
5 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Mockery saying we've allegedly made 30 mil  Euro bid for Thauvin.

I can't see Thauvin. All I see is that photo of his wife someone posted here yesterday 

4 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

It basically says reports form England say we have bid but local journalists have refuted this and they would want at least €45m anyway

2 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Three great shouts, maybe temparement issues with Thauvin but that aside he's a terrific player and Fraser I imagine you could get for a very reasonable price given he has a year to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Grays last chance mind

Barnes fair enough, not Gray imo, had a fair crack of the whip now and doesn't look to be developing at all, just not got it imo.  His level is lower EPL/top end of the championship imo.

38 minutes ago, SO1 said:

but I know nothing.

My concern with Bowen although a good player is that anytime I've watched him he's not particularly quick.  I think this could be exposed a bit in the EPL and because he's not the quickest I'm not sure he'd be a great fit in a Rodgers side.

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we are going for it, then no point doing it half hearted as Babylon says. A genuine quality winger is the obvious weakness on the right which would cost us between £30-50m which is significant but perhaps do-able now FFP rules have relaxed. There's always the option to cash in on Maguire to fund it as well.

This 'we're going for it' is a made up term on here as far as I can see. The club's mission statement if that's what we're calling them now days is more about progression through a longer term sustainable business plan more in the Monaco and Dortmund mode I would suggest. Until we've offloaded some of our surplus to requirement players and their inherent high wages, spending 30 to 50m on a winger is less like a viable business plan and more like a drunk pissing it up the wall in an off license. They're not going to go gung ho just to please a few supporters. They may have even considered and rejected the idea of selling Maguire for a winger as they know who would truly be available to them as opposed to having a mere fantasy wish list. They may also consider through consultation with Rodgers that we already have the future Ziyech/Thauvin here with the development of Barnes for example. I'm sure they consider every angle including the betterment of the club longer term and not just one season ahead.Thus far they appear to have done well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

This 'we're going for it' is a made up term on here as far as I can see. The club's mission statement if that's what we're calling them now days is more about progression through a longer term sustainable business plan more in the Monaco and Dortmund mode I would suggest. Until we've offloaded some of our surplus to requirement players and their inherent high wages, spending 30 to 50m on a winger is less like a viable business plan and more like a drunk pissing it up the wall in an off license. They're not going to go gung ho just to please a few supporters. They may have even considered and rejected the idea of selling Maguire for a winger as they know who would truly be available to them as opposed to having a mere fantasy wish list. They may also consider through consultation with Rodgers that we already have the future Ziyech/Thauvin here with the development of Barnes for example. I'm sure they consider every angle including the betterment of the club longer term and not just one season ahead.Thus far they appear to have done well.

Take the money out of it, the one glaring deficiency in the side is a quality wide player and regardless of cost the club should have the ambition to address that.  Cost only comes into it as the way the world is for EPL clubs now is that they have to pay a premium for players who will significantly enhance what they already have, therefore, £30-40-50m isn't an outlandish expectation from fans to acquire such a player, even more so if Maguire goes for the fees being reported.  You've already spent similar money on Tielemans so there is clearly an appetite within the club to spend this level of money should the right player become available.

Forget top 6, to simply improve on last year's finishing position you need that little bit of quality that separates you from the rest of the chasing pack, if you don't it's pretty much a lottery where you'll finish among that middling set of clubs such is the low disparity in points totals, 4 or 5 points could easily be the difference in an 8th place finish versus a 14 or 15th placed finish.  A bad spate of injuries, suspensions, cruel run of fixtures could all lead to that latter scenario so I believe you need that little bit extra to separate you from the Everton's and West Ham's in and around you.

As for the deadwood such as Slimani and Ghezzal, it's fantasy to think another club is going to come in and take them off your hands.  These guys are on lucrative contracts that no club outside the EPL will be able to match and as such the players will be happy to sit tight.  The best you can hope for is to send these guys out on loan and get as much of their wages covered as possible for the duration of their contracts.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Very good points and you're right about having a viable business plan and we definitely need to move on about 4 or 5 players to clear some wage bill but I can also see why some fans feel we should go for it. In some ways its a catch 22 as we could stick with what we have (which is a decent squad and a good starting 11) and maybe push for 6th, or could we be bold and get that extra winger and push for champs league. United, Arsenal and Chelsea will not be this vulnerable forever so if we were to go for it and finish top 4 ( very big ask I know) then we would have no issues keeping our squad together next summer and building again. My worry is that next summer, we have Chilwell, Madders and Ricardo who could all be looking for a big move. And if we manage to keep Harry then he could also be tempted away next summer. Not to mention Tielemans who if he continues to develop could also be looked at by bigger clubs. Im sure the club won't want to sell 4 or 5 key players next summer but is a question of how long we can keep them all if we dont get into Europe.