Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

1 hour ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Where’s these Thauvin links coming from?

Sean from Enderby last week. Despite his appearances, he has been ITK about some things in the past. Actually has been spot on about Tielemans saga this whole window.

1 hour ago, wattolcfc said:

Made up from gimps on the internet who have nothing better to do

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

Literally the only source for it lol

Sean is the source for it. And he is #NeverWrong

On 02/07/2019 at 08:27, FireFox said:

Assuming we haven't bought Perez to predominantly be a bench player (which seems a fair thing to say, as he's in his prime and left Newcastle in the first place due to ambition), an expensive winger on top of Perez just seems wasteful. Either he displaces Barnes, severely limiting his gametime and therefore his development, or he ends up a failed signing, or he makes Perez a wasted signing as Barnes proves too good to misplace so Perez loses out instead. This would have made sense last summer, immediately after losing Mahrez, when Barnes was nowhere near the first team and we hadn't signed Perez. Right now though, I really think it would be prudent to hold on to the money. If we make Europe this season, then maybe a 30-50 million winger signing next summer makes more sense.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Assuming we haven't bought Perez to predominantly be a bench player (which seems a fair thing to say, as he's in his prime and left Newcastle in the first place due to ambition), an expensive winger on top of Perez just seems wasteful. Either he displaces Barnes, severely limiting his gametime and therefore his development, or he ends up a failed signing, or he makes Perez a wasted signing as Barnes proves too good to misplace so Perez loses out instead. This would have made sense last summer, immediately after losing Mahrez, when Barnes was nowhere near the first team and we hadn't signed Perez. Right now though, I really think it would be prudent to hold on to the money. If we make Europe this season, then maybe a 30-50 million winger signing next summer makes more sense.

It’s not wasteful. We’re a creative CM, left footed winger and another striker away from having a very complete squad. 

On paper, there’s a fair argument to suggest we have a first 11 that is as good as, if not better then some of the top six teams. The difference is the strength in depth of our squads.

Last season Man Utd could bring the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez & Mata off the bench. Arsenal had Denis Suarez, Ozil at times. Chelsea could bring Giroud or Pedro off the bench. Say what you want about these players and that they didn’t have a good season, but at the end of the day these teams have options at their disposal when they need to mix it up. We had Iheanacho and Gray lol.

Even if we sign a winger just for rotation purposes/as an option from the bench its a solid investment. Strength in depth is key! 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't really agree to be honest. We're desperately short of quality outside of any starting 11. We can't rotate if people are tired or off form, let alone injured and we can't make any match winning substitutions. 

Whilst it's unrealistic to expect us to have quality to replace quality in every position, I think the most exciting thing about the Perez signing is he represents our ability to change things up in attack. 

I'd be more than happy if we started the season with Perez on the bench with basically:

Vardy

Barnes, Maddison, New Guy, 

Tielemans, Ndidi 

Not because I don't want Perez to play but because I want Perez to be competition. There were times last season, even in the last couple months, where I felt Barnes could do with being dropped for a game or things just weren't working out for Vardy or Gray was looking done in and we just had nothing we could do about it other than bring on Ghezzal or Nacho. 

I'd love one more quality attacker so we can actually start a good system of rotation in the attacking midfield areas. 

I'd agree with you if Barnes was a bit more established and developed. As things are though, I could easily see him getting displaced and struggling to get back in to the team. However I do take your point that more competition is necessary.

Just now, Shane said:

It’s not wasteful. We’re a creative CM, left footed winger and another striker away from having a very complete squad. 

On paper, there’s a fair argument to suggest we have a first 11 that is as good as, if not better then some of the top six teams. The difference is the strength in depth of our squads.

Last season Man Utd could bring the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez & Mata off the bench. Arsenal had Denis Suarez, Ozil at times. Chelsea could bring Giroud or Pedro off the bench. 

Say what you want about these players and that they didn’t have a good season, but at the end of the day these teams have options at their disposal when they need to mix it up. We had Ihenacho and Gray lol.

Even if we sign a winger just for rotation purposes/as an option from the bench its a solid investment. Strength in depth is key! 

Imagine if Perez had come off the bench instead of Iheanacho. Liverpool win the league!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Last season Man Utd could bring the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez & Mata off the bench. Arsenal had Denis Suarez, Ozil at times. Chelsea could bring Giroud or Pedro off the bench. Say what you want about these players and that they didn’t have a good season, but at the end of the day these teams have options at their disposal when they need to mix it up. We had Iheanacho and Gray lol.

That's a fair argument. I'm still sceptical though. "Depth" on the wings can very easily fall into the sort of trap that Ghezzal was, for a mid-table club like ours. Besides, with the signing of Perez, Gray has now been relegated to the bench alongside Ghezzal and Albrighton, which has already technically given our squad more depth. We already have a seriously bloated squad, about 30 players. Before adding a high-profile wage we should be selling or at minimum loaning out more players. If we look at our current squad as it is, assuming a 4-1-4-1 is our first 11:

Vardy Iheanacho

Perez Gray

Barnes Albrighton

Maddison Ghezzal

Tielemans Choudhury

Ndidi Mendy

Chilwell Fuchs

Ricardo James

Maguire Soyuncu

Evans Benkovic

Schmeichel Ward

That's 22 players, discounting Jakupovic, Kapustka, Silva, Slimani, Amartey, Morgan, and more. If we look at the depth options for attack (Iheanacho, Gray, Albrighton, Ghezzal), yes, they aren't fantastic, but the addition of Perez now means that we can shift to formations with two strikers in case of injury, so we won't have to rely on the like for like replacements in depth. If we sign someone like Sarr to push Gray out of the squad and place Barnes firmly into the second 11, we run the risk of ruining all Gray's value and severely stunting Barnes' growth. I don't think the expenditure is worth the potentially marginal 1st 11 gain.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'd agree with you if Barnes was a bit more established and developed. As things are though, I could easily see him getting displaced and struggling to get back in to the team. However I do take your point that more competition is necessary.

I trust Rodgers to be a good judge of a young player tbh. If he thinks Barnes is going to be the star we want him to be then he's going to get the game time. 

I'd be more than happy to see Barnes, Perez, Maddison and a new winger / attacking midfielder all sharing a similar amount of starts each in a fluid rotation of those three positions. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I know this player will end up being Perez, but could you imagine us splashing another £30m+ on a quality winger.......

:teehee:

I'm so conflicted between expectations, and what I'm seeing Leicester do in this window.

It's mad.

Just now, ramadaone said:

If Maguire goes he will be replaced as we won't start the season with just 4 centre halves 

Maguire coming or going has no effect on us bringing other players into different positions 

He won't be replaced with someone who costs +80m. If we sell him, why not buy a 40m CB replacement and 40m winger to replace Ghezzal/Gray?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FireFox said:

He won't be replaced with someone who costs +80m. If we sell him, why not buy a 40m CB replacement and 40m winger to replace Ghezzal/Gray?

Think the point is that we’ve (probably) got our targets and we’ll be moving on them whether Maguire stays or leaves regardless. 

9 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

If Maguire goes he will be replaced as we won't start the season with just 4 centre halves 

Maguire coming or going has no effect on us bringing other players into different positions 

But surely it would impact on the calibre/transfer fee of other positions would it not? I mean what on earth is our net spend going to be? I'm being made to look a right prat here, I said it would be less than £50m! ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I know this player will end up being Perez, but could you imagine us splashing another £30m+ on a quality winger.......

:teehee:

I was thinking that. Imagine a world where Leicester fuching City are spending 50/60 million for Lemina and Perez to sit on the bench as cover.....

If we are genuinely going in for a Right Winger, which is now really the main area I feel needs strengthening, I’ve got a list of 4 names i’d love to see coming in.

However, they’ve all been mentioned before, and I’m not really optimistic about actually getting any of them if i’m honest:

Thauvin - Probably interest from bigger teams in European competition, so unlikely to come to us

Ziyech - The same as above

Deulofeu - Watford are an arse to deal with, he only signed last year, and they’d likely ask for a ridiculous price

Knockaert - May not have any interest in coming back

For me, any of those have great ability to unlock defences, are exciting to watch,  and chip in with a fair number of goals too.