Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

Without shedding quite a few players, possibly even Maguire, I don't forsee us buying any of the aforementioned bigger names. The fact that different people have different ideas upon which one it should be highlights the difficulty and, we have to remember, our professional recruitment team will have looked at far more than a few fans video clips and statistics and more importantly, have probably already put feelers out for who would sell, at what price and who more importantly would even consider coming to play for Leicester City. For some of the names mentioned we'd hardly be their first choice! On the other hand, if the club feel that they can, with Rodgers, with a full pre-season, further develop the likes of Barnes and Gray than I for one would back their judgement and ambitions which also has due regard to finances available. Some folks with their armchair ambitions think it's a simple case of miraculously plucking another 30-50m out of the air.

2 hours ago, City1884 said:

Thauvin - Probably interest from bigger teams in European competition, so unlikely to come to us

He'll see himself as a starter here, that might be important to him.

16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Just how good is Thauvin?

Who is he comparable with, is he really what we want?

In terms of goals and assists as a left footed right winger he's not far off Nicholas Pepe who the whole of Europe want. His bad experience at Newcastle might put a few iff but there were a lot of players in that team that didn't do a lot and have gone on to do very well both in the Prem and/or in Europe.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Good enough to be a contributing member of the side that won the World Cup.

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

If I'm honest I think he's probably too good for us. He'd be looking to play for a decent champions league team at this stage of his career.

The easiest comparison to make would be to Mahrez. Imagine Mahrez but slightly less ability to beat a man 1v1 but bulkier, with slightly more end product and more intelligent movement. Probably not quite on Mahrez's level but not far off. I think it says a lot that he gets into the French national team regularly considering the depth of talent they have. They manage to leave out players like Lacazette and Laporte and still win the world cup. 

As for is he what we want, I think he's the best match out there. He'd be my first pick of any semi-realistic targets. A left footed right winger with both creativity and goal threat. I think his stats over the last 3 years speak for themselves... Screenshot_20190709-070832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.830af6a1c44e7d7d63336ee05a20a152.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, City1884 said:

If we are genuinely going in for a Right Winger, which is now really the main area I feel needs strengthening, I’ve got a list of 4 names i’d love to see coming in.

However, they’ve all been mentioned before, and I’m not really optimistic about actually getting any of them if i’m honest:

Thauvin - Probably interest from bigger teams in European competition, so unlikely to come to us

Ziyech - The same as above

Deulofeu - Watford are an arse to deal with, he only signed last year, and they’d likely ask for a ridiculous price

Knockaert - May not have any interest in coming back

For me, any of those have great ability to unlock defences, are exciting to watch,  and chip in with a fair number of goals too. 

Knockaert is just a stocky, left footed Albrighton with half the work ethic.

For me (maybe an unpopular opinion) but Albrighton is our weak link right now in the formation we are likely to play, especially in terms of starting 11, and is definitely the position we need to add to the most.

He's a good old fashioned right sided midfielder. Not skillful enough to play as a wide forward/modern day winger. He's great to have in the squad, bring in to help his fullback out etc if you're defending a lead for example.

But we need creativity in that position, someone to cut inside, a Mahrez or Robben type player. 

I believe Barnes is 1 year short of being completely effective in that position and we don't know where Perez will fit just just.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Billy Big Balls said:

If I'm honest I think he's probably too good for us. He'd be looking to play for a decent champions league team at this stage of his career.

The easiest comparison to make would be to Mahrez. Imagine Mahrez but slightly less ability to beat a man 1v1 but bulkier, with slightly more end product and more intelligent movement. Probably not quite on Mahrez's level but not far off. I think it says a lot that he gets into the French national team regularly considering the depth of talent they have. They manage to leave out players like Lacazette and Laporte and still win the world cup. 

As for is he what we want, I think he's the best match out there. He'd be my first pick of any semi-realistic targets. A left footed right winger with both creativity and goal threat. I think his stats over the last 3 years speak for themselves... Screenshot_20190709-070832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.830af6a1c44e7d7d63336ee05a20a152.jpg

Those stats are mad.

10 hours ago, KingKoala said:

I like the look of Everton the Brazil international.

He just became a top goal scorer of Copa America and is rated €20m in transfermarkt.

Signing for Milan. Agree about your statement though - he benched David Neres and kept his place, and Neres could easily fetch 60m. 

As for Thauvin I’m not convinced. He’s got the skill for sure but his attitude has been questioned numerous times. Mahrez was the last sulk at the club and he could get away with it because of what he’d done for the club. Even then it definitely caused friction among the club. It’s important to maintain a good attitude among the squad! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Any of these four then will be fine Top.

https://talksport.com/football/546316/liverpool-transfer-salah-replacement/

I personally think they're all out of our league, potentially including Thauvin who - just to reiterate - no credible source has linked us to. 

For perspective, Bergwijn is the least developed of those and is heavily linked to Bayern. 

It's hard to see Ziyech moving outside the champions league, Pepe looks destined for an elite level club (CL last 8ish) and I'm pretty sure it's only questions over Thauvin's character holding him back over joining Pepe at that table. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Knockaert is just a stocky, left footed Albrighton with half the work ethic.

For me (maybe an unpopular opinion) but Albrighton is our weak link right now in the formation we are likely to play, especially in terms of starting 11, and is definitely the position we need to add to the most.

He's a good old fashioned right sided midfielder. Not skillful enough to play as a wide forward/modern day winger. He's great to have in the squad, bring in to help his fullback out etc if you're defending a lead for example.

But we need creativity in that position, someone to cut inside, a Mahrez or Robben type player. 

I believe Barnes is 1 year short of being completely effective in that position and we don't know where Perez will fit just just.

If we don't give Barnes game time though he'll always remain one year short. He needs a good pretty season with Brendan then game time. We can't applaud bringing youth in like Chilwell,  Choudhury, Maddison etc one minute and turn turtle on the idea two minutes later. Of the names given above this post is Ziyech and Thauvin etc, how many would realistically want to come to Leicester?  Do we honestly think our recruitment team are not capable of having similar thoughts but also have the knowledge of our financial constrictions also. Mention has been made of Thauvins possible personality traits, might they have not looked into this and come to the conclusion that he's not for us? All pure conjecture of course but they are far and above more in the know than us. If they chose to continue with just Albrighton , Barnes and Gray there will be reasoning behind it, not a lack of knowledge. We have to trust their judgement with players and finances as of late, the last couple of seasons I think they've done remarkably well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I personally think they're all out of our league, potentially including Thauvin who - just to reiterate - no credible source has linked us to. 

For perspective, Bergwijn is the least developed of those and is heavily linked to Bayern. 

It's hard to see Ziyech moving outside the champions league, Pepe looks destined for an elite level club (CL last 8ish) and I'm pretty sure it's only questions over Thauvin's character holding him back over joining Pepe at that table. 

Ismaila Sarr or Brais Mendez then please.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Signing for Milan. Agree about your statement though - he benched David Neres and kept his place, and Neres could easily fetch 60m. 

As for Thauvin I’m not convinced. He’s got the skill for sure but his attitude has been questioned numerous times. Mahrez was the last sulk at the club and he could get away with it because of what he’d done for the club. Even then it definitely caused friction among the club. It’s important to maintain a good attitude among the squad! 

Actually doesn't look like it, Leonardo was the one who wanted to sign him and he's gone from the club now, plus he would cost a lot more than €20 million which would be out of their summer budget for this year.

Signing Everton would be hilarious. Imagine him scoring the winning goal against Everton...

3 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Actually doesn't look like it, Leonardo was the one who wanted to sign him and he's gone from the club now, plus he would cost a lot more than €20 million which would be out of their summer budget for this year.

Signing Everton would be hilarious. Imagine him scoring the winning goal against Everton...

In that case...

GERRIMIN!!!!

Everton Soares has been one of those "next big thing" Brazilian "youngsters" for so long he's 23 now having made his Gremio debut in 2014.

He played second fiddle to Luan, who we've been linked to before, for most of his time there but he had his best goalscoring season last time out. 

Tbf, before the Copa he probably wouldn't have been considered a very exciting signing for us and now after the Copa he's probably destined for bigger things. 

Mad how that happens. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Speaking of Milan what about Suso? 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Ismaila Sarr or Brais Mendez then please.

Sarr would easily be my shout. Plays left. Plays right. Plays as a striker. Offers more versatility than most other options and that seems to be something we are attracted to in this window. 

19 minutes ago, Shane said:

Brais Mendez does tick a lot of boxes. The links to him seem to be non existent at the moment though :(

Bit like Perez then ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Brais Mendes has been my pick ever since Mahrez left.  That would be a fantastic move.

I still think Perez could be pretty successful playing on the right.  If he could score 12 goals with that supporting cast and philosophy at Newcastle, he can certainly score 15 at Leicester.

Edited by Deeg67