Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

So..if we do need a new winger ,like some,not all are griping about...

Here an alternative...

Either Justin/Amartey at Right-back

Then let's give Periera that winger /WB responsibility..he's got many of the attributes required,and he's already a major part of the team/squad....

I still don't think we need to go out & get cranky worrying about a new winger.

I believe it's simply become an over-hyped obsession from some posters on this forum..I doubt it is something occupying Rodgers & coaching staff minds. We are really just at the start of the development of squad & team,looking towards the long term.

Pearson set the platform,Ranieri Shakespeare despite title seem to drift from continuing slowly the process.

Puel Kick-started it again..obviously the tragic loss of the chairman brought it's own complications,but it seems the club and management are finding their feet again.

Its great to have dreams & ambitions,but let's not run before we can walk,we are still a club,that won't like many be able to buy and get instant long continuous success.

I believe we have prudent management,who also have had to learn,there are many things to learn,before one thinks,promises,

expects top half PL football,for any consistent period..

There are some fans who go off the richter-scale on expectations, epitomising and showing entitlement of descisions/opinions that they  so hate from other opposition fans forums..

Sometimes so singular and bombastic,declaring our desperation for a winger or other positions MUST be strengthened,if this or that is to be achieved...Our hate or  "schadensfreude" towards the top teams   of the PL,we forget to respect,what time  it took them,to become World renowned clubs.

A quality winger ( if available/exsists) won't change how we progress or fall..

If we are to start a new era into that top

6, it's still going to take time & patience,with also a mixed bag of twists & turns.

In my eyes ,we are still only  a top ten club,who have still to prove we can play entertaining successfull football,and have a long way to kick off any one of those top clubs off their perches.Even when 1-2 might have a scratchy few seasons...We haven't earnt anything yet!!

Definitely not even the notion that a winger,will lift us into the realms of extacy,securing a future in the top 6 hierarchy..

Justin who has only ever played League 1 and 2, you want regularly starting in the Prem for us when we are pushing for top 6? He was bought as cover for a reason and still needs to settle, mature and develop here, before should be considered a week in week out starter.

Amartey at RB is OK to cover now and then, but again, having him as our starting RB week in week out, doesn't exactly scream top 6! 

If we have the available funds, which it seems we may, then we should absolutely sign a top winger and not water down our team, just to push Periera forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Deeg67 said:

Moving the guy who just had the best season of any RB in club history out of position is not a winning play in my book. Ricardo stays where he is.

Exactly, why change something if it isn’t broken. Yes I know we’ve already invested a lot this summer. But we all knew prior to the window opening that a wide man was a priority.

Thauvin really ticks a lot of boxes and if he's been offered to West Ham it means he's obtainable and available. 

A goal scoring and assist machine who starts in the France team, what's not to like?

Edited by Gerard

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Thauvin really ticks a lot of boxes and if he's been offered to West Ham which means he's obtainable and available. 

A goal scoring and assist machine who starts in the France team, what's not to like?

Seems like they may be open to a striker in return as well (Chicarito from West Ham linked in the deal), could try to include Slimani or Iheanacho (loan)

Marseille having some real financial issues at the moment so a good enough offer and they will jump at it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Could work! People will point to the Watford game and say it didn't work there but the players never trained or played together in that formation so it was always going to be a tough ask to play a very good Watford side. 

On paper we've got the players for it. It'd be a good way of getting game time for our young cbs who won't get a sniff if Maguire stays. I think the back 3 below would compliment eachother very well. It gives soyuncu and Maguire the licence to bring the ball out from the back and still have 2 covering cbs plus Ndidi maybe slotting back in like he does sometimes.

Something like:

Schmeichel

Soyuncu      Evans      Maguire 

Pereira       Ndidi         Tielemans      Chilwell 

Maddison 

Perez                      Vardy 

And that's without signing any more players! Even the bench is decent with Barnes, Choudhury, Gray, Benkovic, Justin etc. 

Edit: Just re-reading this I've had a nerdgasm thinking about how good our high press would be! 3 cbs on the half way line Pereira and Chilwell staying fairly high and Perez and Vardy chasing them down. I'd be shitting myself if I was an opposition defender! 

Just mentioned this in the pre-season thread but I reckon we will see this used at least once during the season. These days we have a really good squad that could be used in various different ways, and it might be that we find the winning formula more through luck than judgement. Look at Ranieri, he did start with the 442 but even he admitted that the pure counter attack style wasn't the original plan, but that during preseason and training he quickly worked out things like leaving Vardy and Mahrez up top when defending corners and pairing Okazaki with Vardy paid dividends. And of course the legendary changing of our full backs from Schlupp and De Laet to Fuchs and Simpson.  

You could also make arguments for 4231, 433, 442 Diamond, 4411, 343, etc. Preseason will be fascinating just to see what Rodgers tries.

This thread is about a winger, but really it's about trying to find a forward player that scores and assists goals that isn't the focal point of the team. Regardless of whatever system we use, having a player who has the clinical finishing of Mahrez from wide areas would benefit the team, which is why we want one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Just mentioned this in the pre-season thread but I reckon we will see this used at least once during the season. These days we have a really good squad that could be used in various different ways, and it might be that we find the winning formula more through luck than judgement. Look at Ranieri, he did start with the 442 but even he admitted that the pure counter attack style wasn't the original plan, but that during preseason and training he quickly worked out things like leaving Vardy and Mahrez up top when defending corners and pairing Okazaki with Vardy paid dividends. And of course the legendary changing of our full backs from Schlupp and De Laet to Fuchs and Simpson.  

You could also make arguments for 4231, 433, 442 Diamond, 4411, 343, etc. Preseason will be fascinating just to see what Rodgers tries.

This thread is about a winger, but really it's about trying to find a forward player that scores and assists goals that isn't the focal point of the team. Regardless of whatever system we use, having a player who has the clinical finishing of Mahrez from wide areas would benefit the team, which is why we want one.

Options are good.  But the whole point of a spendy offseason, it seems to me, is to identify what you want to use as your main formation and get guys who let you play it, rather than sign whoever you can get and have to adapt the system to fit them.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Justin who has only ever played League 1 and 2, you want regularly starting in the Prem for us when we are pushing for top 6? He was bought as cover for a reason and still needs to settle, mature and develop here, before should be considered a week in week out starter.

Amartey at RB is OK to cover now and then, but again, having him as our starting RB week in week out, doesn't exactly scream top 6! 

If we have the available funds, which it seems we may, then we should absolutely sign a top winger and not water down our team, just to push Periera forward. 

When one suggests an idea,that's all it is. Plus, I could be wrong but I doubt BR will stay with a fixed formation,nor selection. So putting Justin forward to play  is just the squads logic. He is a FB..

Why shouldn't Amartey be capable of carrying this position over a longer period...whether I prefer Periera is neither here or there...We will get injuries,we will miss players over more games...just nature of the beast.

If you really believe we should be automatically believe that we need to be top 6 ,then all reasonable  debates are off.

Because if top 6 is your measure,

relying on any single defensive players will only fail...Our title year was unique

Plus if we want that top 6, then over season's,not just one...So all possibilities have to be put forward,and looked at...Staying stubborn to one thought,selection or formation,is not

Football...

We should of all learnt by now,we can't get all the players we would like,plus

the manager is going to have his own ideas...

We are not laying down laws and what must be...but exchanging thoughts ideas,where mine never leads to a single solid opinion...It's football,nothing is definite or follows logic of needs and desires..

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

What?! Where did I ever say that? Why do I get the feeling half the time your responses are simply to get a bite. I hope that’s the case anyway because some of your points are simply just stupid.

It was you posting,your opinion on what Rodgers should know,so implying what he should do...

You tell us he has seen him over 6 months..from May to July they have had nothing to do with each other,so he has

made his judgement over the last few weeks of the season while beginning his tenure..

Munch,munch..bite:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

When one suggests an idea,that's all it is. Plus, I could be wrong but I doubt BR will stay with a fixed formation,nor selection. So putting Justin forward to play  is just the squads logic. He is a FB..

Why shouldn't Amartey be capable of carrying this position over a longer period...whether I prefer Periera is neither here or there...We will get injuries,we will miss players over more games...just nature of the beast.

If you really believe we should be automatically believe that we need to be top 6 ,then all reasonable  debates are off.

Because if top 6 is your measure,

relying on any single defensive players will only fail...Our title year was unique

Plus if we want that top 6, then over season's,not just one...So all possibilities have to be put forward,and looked at...Staying stubborn to one thought,selection or formation,is not

Football...

We should of all learnt by now,we can't get all the players we would like,plus

the manager is going to have his own ideas...

We are not laying down laws and what must be...but exchanging thoughts ideas,where mine never leads to a single solid opinion...It's football,nothing is definite or follows logic of needs and desires..

Yes it's your idea and I disagree with it lol You can't post ideas and then not expect people to have opinions on them. It's a discussion forum. 

I didn't say Amartey wasn't capable of carrying a position, I said I don't believe he should be our starting RB week in week out, with our well known and much spoke about top 6 aspirations. They aren't just mine or a handful of Foxestalk posters' aspirations, they are Brendan Rodgers and the clubs and no doubt the players too. It's the reason we signed Tielemans, Perez and also why we want to keep hold of our top players. 

We aren't asking for all the players we would like either. We are asking for a winger, which also seems to be what BR is looking for and the ITKs seem to think we will get. If we have the funds, why would we not improve our team in an area needed? 

I still struggle to get my head around most your posts and this one is no different but of course we should not and will not stick to one formation or one starting 11 for the whole season, but I don't see how that has any relevance to what I said or what you are trying to say. That does not mean we have to move our player of the season RB to a winger and make do with Amartey or James there for 38+ games. They will surely be needed over the course of the season and hopefully will fill in and do a good job, but why on earth would we permanently look to move Pereira forward and bring in one of our cover RB's when we don't need to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Seems like they may be open to a striker in return as well (Chicarito from West Ham linked in the deal), could try to include Slimani or Iheanacho (loan)

Marseille having some real financial issues at the moment so a good enough offer and they will jump at it

Throw em Slimani - playing in a city full of North Africans. 

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Moving the guy who just had the best season of any RB in club history out of position is not a winning play in my book. Ricardo stays where he is.

Danny Simpson is off mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Allegedly. 

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Never forget the allegedly with the Sun.

Be great if we could get one more top class player in though like Malcolm, Thauvin or similar.

The Pepe link is from a Telegraph article.

41 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Arsenal want to sign Barcelona winger Malcom, 22, with Everton having already bid £31.5m to sign the Brazilian. (Sun)

Everton now making enquires after Nicholas’s Pepe for £59 million....

They have similar ambitions to us, they will want to try spend big to match our signings