Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Adrien Silva

Could we do a buy one get one free on Silva and Slimani? Nah nobody would be stupid enough to take both. Although both of them would probably do well back in Portuguese league but none of them teams would pay their wages. Signing these two for high fees, on higb wages on top of long contracts for king and James have got to be some of worst decisions ever made by the club! 

1 hour ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

But that's the 'not-so-easy' bit - getting him out the door without losing a lot of money. 

Look at it this way.. We sold Drinkwater for circa 35m in conjuction with the Silva deal.. What did Silva cost.. 23m?.. 

We had Chelsea’s pants down for Drinkwater to the tune of at least 10m.. So perhaps it's somewhat of a consolation when we take a 10/15m hit on Silva? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

If he was champions league quality he wouldn’t have been struggling to make the bench for us half of last season 

Well he is Champions League quality in the right team. It's a very naive statement you've just made. 

• Like 2

I remember watching him playing for Portugal V someone really quality (possibly Spain) and he looked the best player on the pitch for the most part. If he is given time and space on the ball then he'll be the puppet master. Obviously the Premier League doesn't cater for time and space but I'd imagine him being a real asset in most Spanish, Italian or French sides. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Collymore said:

I remember watching him playing for Portugal V someone really quality (possibly Spain) and he looked the best player on the pitch for the most part. If he is given time and space on the ball then he'll be the puppet master. Obviously the Premier League doesn't cater for time and space but I'd imagine him being a real asset in most Spanish, Italian or French sides. 

True. Sadly, he's just been a puppet here though.

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

He may have got  that time as a number 8 with the likes of Wilf covering him, especially in teams who would sit back against us. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Mr Puel was a big fan of 2 defensive midfielders and Silva isn't a no. 10 so he had no place in the squad. He's been done by a manager change there as it was Shakespeare that signed him. 

Very true, "champions league quality" is a very vague term and I probably shouldn't have used it because it is completely up to interpretation.

As for not being good enough in the minutes he's played, he's played 849 minutes in the Premier league since we signed him. He never played for the manager that signed him due to the infamous 14 seconds (could be wrong on that), then a new manager came in that didn't want to use a player of his style. 

For the record I'm not a massive fan myself, I'm just trying to add some balance to a thread that has turned into a very 'anti-silva' wankfest. His wages are way too high for someone who will be a rotation player for us but he's not a bad player by any means. I actually think playing in a midfield 3 with ndidi covering behind he might do well under Rodgers. I'm happy if he stays or goes. 

The club and Puel did everything they could to get him fit for the 2nd part of the season (something the former manager already achieved with Ben Arfa at Nice) with the intention of playing him as a starter, which is why he was bought in the first place. We were crying out for a box-to-box midfielder comfortable with the ball and Silva seemed to be exactly what we needed. He certainly could have played alongside Ndidi if he adapted to the league's pace and physicality and I don't think that Puel would have been against it.

It didn't work. he didn't really impress when he was given a chance and don't forget that we don't see how he did in training, which is the basis on a manager decides if a player deserves to play or not. I don't know what Rodgers's stance is, but I doubt Silva's part of his project. His wages and transfer price are too high for a bench player, he isn't getting younger and certainly wants to be more than a part-time player. We have a shitload of midfielders and I don't see where he fits at all.

No one with half a brain would downplay his achievements with Sporting and Portugal. He's good player, just not in this league. Not the first and certainly not the last.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Will these two even be in your 25 man squad?  

I think Silva will depend on us getting someone like McGregor or Praet. It certainly looks like we are looking for another CM. If we dont get one, Silva will make up the numbers. 

I highly doubt Slimani will. Even if we dont get another striking option, his attitude seems like it wouldn't be worth having him here so at the very least I see another loan deal in his future. 

• Like 1

I like him. I can’t remember watching him and thinking ‘he’s had a mare’, I always thought he’d played well. As I’ve said before, I’d be quite happy to have him on the bench and throw him on to protect the game, or play him in the games when we want to rest Youri. Keep him. Give him some minutes, and make him feel wanted.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I like him. I can’t remember watching him and thinking ‘he’s had a mare’, I always thought he’d played well. As I’ve said before, I’d be quite happy to have him on the bench and throw him on to protect the game, or play him in the games when we want to rest Youri. Keep him. Give him some minutes, and make him feel wanted.

Yeah I agree with this. Think he's an asset against sides that sit back and will be good at helping us keep and recycle possession - worth giving him a go IMO. Especially as he'll presumably be willing to play 2nd fiddle to Youri.

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Think I'll wait to see what Rodgers thinks before we cast out all of the "evil demons". Maybe he'll be one of the players that comes good.

Thanks for giving me reason to pause. Really would rather spend the money on an attacker.

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Picture editing software  ?!?! ...   what the fooks that ?!?

And yes, I did print it off and use a marker ...

And yes, it is crap ...

:(

Wont bother again ...

Come here - give us a hug :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And yes, it is crap ...

Wont bother again ...

Aww CF..

I did enjoy your attention to detail, with the eyes that scream ‘dead inside’ :thumbup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

And yes, it is crap ...

Your "photos of the newspaper" have lately become one of my favorite things on here.

don't change ... even if it might be quicker just to find and paste the link  lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

And yes, it is crap ...

Wont bother again ...

I'm sorry CF didn't mean to be rude, do they let you have a printer in your room or is it a communal one?  Either way sounds like a very progressive home :) 

• Haha 2