Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

Perez, Newcastle leading scorer for the past 2 seasons. Good assists record, positive attitude and works hard. Very comfortable on the ball and experienced PL player. This is a very good signing who adds lots to the squad. I expect him to earn his place in the team and be a regular starter. 

Guest ttfn
9 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Just like Maguire isn't a £90m centre back and Wan Bissaka isn't a £50m full back. Its all relative. The transfer market has gone mental. We spent alot on unproven prem players like Slimani and Silva and they were crap and now we are spending alot on a player who is proven in the prem and scored 12goals in a pretty poor side. I agree £30m is alot but not sure why so many people get so pissy about it. We should have faith in Brendan and if he feels Perez is a player we need then so be it. People moaned cos we hadnt signed anyone other than Justin and now some are moaning when we are on the verge of signing 2 new players. We are not going to get a proven premier league attacker for less than £30m. 

I’m just not sure I’m buying that he’s a “proven premier league player”. He’s played a lot of PL games but then again so has Demarai Gray. Perez hit a huge purple patch at the end of last season which is totally out of keeping with pretty much everything else he’s done in his career to this point. He’s a 6 or 7 goal a season man despite having played a big chunk of games up front.

Me suggesting that he’s over-priced even in the current market is not a condemnation of Rodgers’ or anybody else’s judgement in wanting to sign him, it’s simply that I can’t see that it’s a good use of £30m.

You’re right to say say that it’s all relative - my point is that even in this market £30m for a player who hasn’t always been able to hold down a first team spot at a relegation struggler is not value for money. At £16m he’s a decent enough signing and that feels about right in this market. At £30m I don’t see the value for us unless Rodgers thinks he’s a guaranteed starter who is going to carry on his form from the last 3 months indefinitely.

12 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

A Newcastle fan you have a very average player in Perez has no pace no strength falls over all the time just had a purple patch towards the end of the season when everything he hit went in hope he does well for you 

No need to be so petee mate! 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I’m just not sure I’m buying that he’s a “proven premier league player”. He’s played a lot of PL games but then again so has Demarai Gray. Perez hit a huge purple patch at the end of last season which is totally out of keeping with pretty much everything else he’s done in his career to this point. He’s a 6 or 7 goal a season man despite having played a big chunk of games up front.

Me suggesting that he’s over-priced even in the current market is not a condemnation of Rodgers’ or anybody else’s judgement in wanting to sign him, it’s simply that I can’t see that it’s a good use of £30m.

You’re right to say say that it’s all relative - my point is that even in this market £30m for a player who hasn’t always been able to hold down a first team spot at a relegation struggler is not value for money. At £16m he’s a decent enough signing and that feels about right in this market. At £30m I don’t see the value for us unless Rodgers thinks he’s a guaranteed starter who is going to carry on his form from the last 3 months indefinitely.

This is one of my main concerns -  he scored a fair few at the back end of last season and I'd imagine he will improve with age but it's far from guaranteed that he will score 10+ next season. With this price tag there will be a lot of pressure on him to produce. I think he will just add depth really but I am hopeful of more.

18 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

A Newcastle fan you have a very average player in Perez has no pace no strength falls over all the time just had a purple patch towards the end of the season when everything he hit went in hope he does well for you 

All of that and he still managed to be your best player lol

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

I've read far too many comments like this by Newcastle fans, it's a bit worrying to be honest.

I wanted us to sign Tielemans and sign a winger who came in and was automatically one of the best players in the team. I just felt that we had nine top drawer starters and we lacked that real bit of top quality in our wingers. Barnes could well prove to be one of them in a season but Perez has every chance of coming here and not be an upgrade on what we already have and just more similar level competition to Albrighton and Gray. 

We should have made a list of the best players in the world in that position and went down it to target the most obtainable. 

Newcastle fans are not that bothered according to their forum. https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/38505-perez/

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

...annnnnnnnnnnd breathe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

It's not 30m up front. A lot of that will depend on goals, appearances and european qualification.

Okay? Chill.

You’re wasting your time mate, they were told last year that the up front fee for Danny Ward was nowhere near 12.5 million and was dependent on all kinds of add ons but it’s still been quoted ad nauseum all year. 

23 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

Thanks

best of luck with Neil redfearn

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

I can remember saying exactly the same thing watching a certain young player called Lineker!

2 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

You’re wasting your time mate, they were told last year that the up front fee for Danny Ward was nowhere near 12.5 million and was dependent on all kinds of add ons but it’s still been quoted ad nauseum all year. 

What was the up front fee?

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've read far too many comments like this by Newcastle fans, it's a bit worrying to be honest.

I wanted us to sign Tielemans and sign a winger who came in and was automatically one of the best players in the team. I just felt that we had nine top drawer starters and we lacked that real bit of top quality in our wingers. Barnes could well prove to be one of them in a season but Perez has every chance of coming here and not be an upgrade on what we already have and just more similar level competition to Albrighton and Gray. 

We should have made a list of the best players in the world in that position and went down it to target the most obtainable

They did and nearly got to page 200 

28 minutes ago, Petee Rowntree said:

DO DO DOOOO SHINJI OKAZAKI

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

What was the up front fee?

All kinds of contributors at the time said it was around half that. I think @mad biker was one iirc. I think they said something along the lines of they get the 12.5 if he ends up our number one keeper and we qualify for Europe. Can’t remember exactly but that was the gist of it. 

Edited by Nickfosse

2 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Stats.

Perez. Most interceptions for a forward and second highest on number of tackles.

We have got him because we will be playing with a high press.

Think Shinji mark 2.

Exactly it is how he fits in to our system, looks the type of player that will help get the best out of Maddison and Vardy