Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

25 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Agreed. I think he may have a similar role to the one that Peak Shinji had. Closing down space, pressurising defenders and making space for Vards.

Exactly this. Well said!  - mebee more goals than Shinji and could probably last more than 65 mins.

8 minutes ago, Walshie is God said:

Unlikely to be activated then. 

Rodgers is on record as saying he’d be willing to bring him back into the fold to give him another chance...

But VERY unlikely to be activated if sold, of course...

59 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's true, but he did favour using two DMs, so probably wouldn't have seen a problem initially. Other managers using a different formation would have wanted to address the lack of creative CMs a lot quicker.

Maybe, but don't forget that he had other areas to address that were priorities.  An attacking full back in Ricardo and Maddison for that number 10 role.  He then brought in Youri in the next window.  You can't do it all at once.

Going back to your original point, we are stacked out with DMs because we bought in Mendy when Kante left.  When that didn't work, through injury or whatever, we bought in Wilf.  On top of that CHoudhury emerged from the youth system.   Like buses it seems.  Three arrive in quick succession.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I can see the reveal video now...

Rodgers walks into Sports Direct, loads a big box onto a trolley, loads it into his car with the aid of the five14 year old Sports Direct employees, drives back to the ground where Perez then pops out smiling in his Leicester shirt and shakes hands with Brendan while both smiling at the camera. 

Can I have a job please creative department? 

That sounds a bit too creative, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Rodgers walks into Sports Direct, loads a big box onto a trolley, loads it into his car with the aid of the five14 year old Sports Direct employees, drives back to the ground where Perez then pops out smiling in his Leicester shirt and shakes hands with Brendan while both smiling at the camera. 

you forgot the part where when he pops out of the box, he’s carrying a barely beating heart that’s been painted black and white...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cujek said:

He would perform better with better players around him, hopefully. 

Who cares what he costs its not my money

I never understand it when people say this, like it makes no difference what the fee is.  Seems like a very myopic thing to say.  We don't have an unlimited transfer budget so when we spend big on players it obviously means we have less left to spend on other players and for the club to continue to grow and succeed we need to get value for money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

My eyesight is getting worse ...   read that and thought, who the fook is Alistair ?!? ...   and why do you need more than one ! ....      :)

Ha I did exactly the same ?

• Like 1

I don't know about this one.  That Newcastle fan has unsettled me.

What is he anyway?  Is he a winger, is he 10, is he a striker?  Is he the Daniel Amartey of forwards, jack of all trades, master of none?  He doesn't light my fire.

I dunno, but something tells me the cold dead hand of Lee Congerton is behind this one.  I would just expect better than this for £30m.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MPH said:

you forgot the part where when he pops out of the box, he’s carrying a barely beating heart that’s been painted black and white...

...and a large Sports Direct mug that we've been charged for without realising it.

20 minutes ago, Collymore said:

:appl:

That would actually be incredible if they did it lol! It would go viral immediately!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cronemeister said:

Alright lads?  Newcastle fan here....just thought I'd do a bit of trolling to get a bit of a feel for your mood on Perez :-D.  I'm a die-hard toon fan and have been all my life and I can honestly say that I would crawl on my hands and knees with Perez on my back to deliver him to your door for £30m....that is just proper mental!  I would've been a bit gutted at him going for £15m or less if I'm honest as it would take at least that to replace him with someone equal or better in my opinion which historically (of late at least) we haven't been particularly good at.

What I will tell you though is you're getting a player who gives 110% every game, doesn't kick up a fuss about anything and just gets on with the job, he is the ultimate professional in my opinion. He's no world beater and he certainly ain't a £30m player, I would say £15m-£20m bracket quite safely.  He's quite skillful, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's technically brilliant and he is nowhere near as good as Mahrez was for your lot.  Up until the 2nd half of last season for us he was very inconsistent, his finishing was very poor and he was in and out of the starting 11 quite a lot.  He can be quite a frustrating player at times, but as I said the 2nd half of last season he was probably one of our best players.  It's no coincidence that Almiron's arrival helped him out massively and along with Rondon the 3 of them gelled quite nicely.  You're basically paying for him based on his 2nd half of the season showing last season.  This time last season I would have been happy with half of what you're paying now...the vast majority of us lot (at least on the footy board I frequent) are understandably ecstatic with £30m.....whether we'll get that pumped into the transfer kitty is another matter for a later date.  You lot seem to have a good grip on our owners antics and I won't ramble on about it on this thread as I just popped in to give you some thoughts from up north on the deal.

You'll know more about this than me, but if I recall correctly, Rafa made a few tactical tweaks after signing Almirón, which included switching Ayoze from a CAM/No 10 role to the right wing/right side of midfield, and it was in this position that Ayoze really shined.

I've said similar things in the past about Ayoze as you have, and I've described him in conversations as "atrocious" and "useless" in a central position (and even worse when I've seen him lead the attacking line). But playing him on the right side has been a revelation.

The right wing was a real problem for us last season. Counterintuitively, the right-footed Albrighton--seemingly your typical old-school winger--seems to be more effective on the left side. We tried both a right-footed winger (Gray) and a left-footed winger (Ghezzal) on the right wing, and they are both unwilling or unable to take defenders on and push the play forward. Ayoze is at least adventurous and tries to attack down the right wing. It may not come off all of the time, but if we're doing a cost-benefit analysis, his style of play really seemed like it helped Newcastle.

If you have a right winger that checks back 9 out of the 10 times he received the ball and plays the ball forward once, his team might keep possession and not concede a chance against them in the vast majority of those sequences, but it'll be a longshot that they create a chance themselves. If the right winger attacks 7 times out of 10 and checks back 3 times, perhaps his team loses possession and concedes a quality scoring chance once in those 10 times, but will likely create more than 1 scoring chance with more attacking play.

Obviously, this is an imperfect guesstimate and I don't have advanced stats to show how much wingers are contributing to chances/expected goals/actual goals scored or conceded. But with all of his flaws, a winger like Harvey Barnes was still a breath of fresh air for our team because his intrepid play caused a net positive effect for chances created. Ayoze had an even bigger effect on his team in the second half of last season, with even more first-hand contributions to goals and assists.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't know about this one.  That Newcastle fan has unsettled me.

What is he anyway?  Is he a winger, is he 10, is he a striker?  Is he the Daniel Amartey of forwards, jack of all trades, master of none?  He doesn't light my fire.

I dunno, but something tells me the cold dead hand of Lee Congerton is behind this one.  I would just expect better than this for £30m.

£30mil don't get you much these days.

He's played four seasons in the Prem as a more-or-less ever present. He's mid-20s so we'll get him at his peak... 33 prem goals.