Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

If Perez falls over and scratches his knee slightly, some on here will fear it's a 'serious' injury and would worry for his playing future..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Having spent the arse end of 80 million on Musa, Slimani and Nacho in recent years

And people are ‘worried’ about 30 mill on Perez...

Only on FT...

Yes.  Wasting big money on average to poor players is a trend I would like to see ended.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yes.  Wasting big money on average to poor players is a trend I would like to see ended.

Agreed. Our focus seems to have shifted in the last couple of windows. We need it to remain like that. No doubt Perez has potential and may increase in value if he has a great season with us, but that is what he will need to have. 

5 minutes ago, Cujek said:

How does the clubs budget make any difference to you? 

Sure it matters to the club, they are a business and will make desicions based on business logic. 

We can discuss all we want, but if we sign someone for 30 million and he is crap why would it matter if we signed him for say 20 million? It's not like we see that 10 million 

The owners will have a budget in mind and if the manager wants someone it will be backed, it don't matter what the club pays, to you, an individual exactly the same as me. 

Because we are supporters of the club.

Doing well in the transfer market affect the success of the club.

The success of the club affects me as an individual.

You are just not getting this are you?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, murphy said:

If we play with a number 10 that will be Maddison surely?  

Perez has played on both wings behind the striker and up front, I don't know what he is supposed to be.

Surely having  a player who can play several positions is a good thing? I think £30m is a lot but we know he can do a job in the prem as hes done pretty well for Newcastle. Cant be easy either playing in such a defensive team so he could improve for us playing in a more attacking team. There's always risks with players when we pay high fees, (Slimani, Silva, Iheancho) and others have mentioned we could have gone for sarr but we don't know how good he'd be in the prem. Im sure there probably are better options out there for that money but there are always risks attached with signing players who haven't played in the prem before and you can't get a proven prem winger for any cheaper than £30m. Even Townsend, Redmond etc who wouldnt necessarily be any better would cost a fortune. 

8 minutes ago, Cujek said:

How does the clubs budget make any difference to you? 

Sure it matters to the club, they are a business and will make desicions based on business logic. 

We can discuss all we want, but if we sign someone for 30 million and he is crap why would it matter if we signed him for say 20 million? It's not like we see that 10 million 

The owners will have a budget in mind and if the manager wants someone it will be backed, it don't matter what the club pays, to you, an individual exactly the same as me. 

Because I am a fan of the football club that is desperate for it to do as well as possible. To that end the way the clubs spends its money matters to me. Its not my money but it is my football club and the way it spends its money has a direct impact on its success. 

In your weird world its pointless having an opinion on any of it because we're not part of the entity of the club. 

This argument about "it's not my money" is just a bit daft. It's so simplistic and it just totally misses the point. I'm not saying that this is a terrible deal, but it does change the parameters somewhat if it's potentially our record signing as opposed to about half of that. It also gives off the impression that this is our big attacking signing of the summer which, if I'm brutally honest, I think is slightly underwhelming - that isn't to say he's poor but it's slightly over the odds for me.

I think it's a good addition providing you get more of what we've seen in the past six months from him, and I do think stylistically he's probably going to suit a Rodgers side more than a Benitez one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Versatile?

Maybe, but high quality players don't tend to get shunted around into different positions.

I wish I could be excited or optimistic about this signing but it just seems like we've paid out too much for this guy and we should have been aiming higher for £30m.  

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

This argument about "it's not my money" is just a bit daft. It's so simplistic and it just totally misses the point. I'm not saying that this is a terrible deal, but it does change the parameters somewhat if it's potentially our record signing as opposed to about half of that. It also gives off the impression that this is our big attacking signing of the summer which, if I'm brutally honest, I think is slightly underwhelming - that isn't to say he's poor but it's slightly over the odds for me.

I think it's a good addition providing you get more of what we've seen in the past six months from him, and I do think stylistically he's probably going to suit a Rodgers side more than a Benitez one.

I think your last paragraph is the key point Dan, Newcastle have been a very negative side.

@murphy is right. But it is utterly futile worrying about it one iota, as we cannot affect it.

I know, I know, that renders the whole forum pointless. But discussing how players play, might play or played, formations and so forth is interesting and worthy of debate, whereas speculating about how rich people spend feels a bit like having a 'they've had our pants down'-off - and by the way, that's one of those tropes that truly annoys me.

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Maybe, but high quality players don't tend to get shunted around into different positions.

I wish I could be excited or optimistic about this signing but it just seems like we've paid out too much for this guy and we should have been aiming higher for £30m.  

I think that is more down to Newcastles lack of investment and quality personally. Time will tell if he's VFM, my gut feeling is he'll thrive here under BR.

For me this a very shrewd signing. He’s going to get significantly quicker service in our side than he got with Newcastle. Maddison and Tielemans will benefit from having him moving around across the front and Vardy will get more space. Getting a twelve goal second striker who is familiar with the pace of the Prem , thus takes the risk out of signing a player from a foreign league or the championship is good business especially when it’s important that we get Europe qualification this coming season to keep this young and talented side together. 

• Like 2