Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m really excited to see how we utilise him col ..... I think he has a good attitude like shinji but he is also a very talented footballer 

I'm glad there's a few of us pleased with this, totally agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Maybe, but high quality players don't tend to get shunted around into different positions.

I wish I could be excited or optimistic about this signing but it just seems like we've paid out too much for this guy and we should have been aiming higher for £30m.  

Versatility is a function of the modern game.

Eden Hazard got shunted around all season, going from left wing to false 9 and no. 10. Coutinho will play left wing and also shift into more central positions, and even Messi will start some games on the right side of the attack and some games in a central role.

James Maddison is primarily a CAM, but he's been used on the left wing and in deeper roles. 

This happens to good players perhaps as often as it happens to poor players.

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm normally the first to say we should listen to the fans of other clubs and I stand by that, I'm also not blindly delighted by this transfer. 

But I do think he's coming from a particularly toxic club, playing intensely negative football, largely expected to shoulder the creative and attacking burden alone with a lump striker and with an entire squad that only turned up after Miggy signed. 

Again, if we're signing him to add quality, depth, versatility and options then he's a great signing potentially. If we're pinning our hopes on him then a bit eh. 

I guess he is a replacement for Okazaki who sat on the bench a lot last year?

I would hate to see Albrighton dropped for him.

2 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Hopefully the Roger signings will turn out to be as good as the Puel signings. Let’s not forget it was Puel who signed Maguire (now subject of £70m bid), Tielemans (our supposedly macquee signing if it gets through), Maddison etc.

Slabhead was Shakey’s first signing. Though I agree with the rest - Claude is very good at spotting players. 

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Slabhead was Shakey’s first signing. Though I agree with the rest - Claude is very good at spotting players. 

Yep, and also Ricardo - dare I say the best RB in the PL if he sticks around!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Who are these goons?

Bridge ex footballer

whos the rest.

one looks like Sterling’s double

like postman Vardy

None of them are ex footballers, you must be thinking of Michael Bridges but this ain't him. I'd love to repeatedly punch the **** with fish on his shirt and a waistcoat. Most cringe discussion ever, amateurish. 

• Like 1

Ayoze is a great signing for us, bit If I was a Newcastle fan I’d be livid. He’s a bit like West Ham’s Lanzini, both very decent but Perez scores more. A good foil for Vards though not the big man/plan B we we’re thinking of. 

18 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I guess he is a replacement for Okazaki who sat on the bench a lot last year?

I would hate to see Albrighton dropped for him.

Why? 

I love Albrighton. He's our Mr Consistent but if we are looking at pushing into the top 6 we require more goals and assists from our forward players. Albrighton averages 2 goals a season and around 6 or 7 assists. 

We look set to sign a versatile player who can play various positions, with a better goal scoring record and similar assist record to those we already have yet theres talk of him sitting on the bench. 

To put it into context he scored 12 out of Newcastles 42 Premier League goals last season. This was in a shockingly negative Newcastle team. 

Personally if it's £30M then I'd say that's over priced but we don't actually know the figures yet. I feel the positives for this signing out weigh the negatives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Think he’ll be a useful signing, although the reported fee does seem quite high. 

It also strikes me as a fairly risk-averse signing after some cock-ups recruiting into this position in recent years. 

Unlike Slimani, Iheanacho & Musa he has had regular PL experience in recent years (I stress regular because Iheanacho was essentially a bit-part player at Man City).

Edited by leicesterseddon

I can’t believe the negativity I’m hearing here. This guy is just the sort of player we need in BR’s formation. He’s got energy to burn, loves to press high but also has a great touch and bags a few goals too. He’s like a goal scoring, better footballing Marc Albrighton who just happens to be one of my favourite players. 

Guest ttfn

I don’t care how inflated the market is, breaking the club’s transfer record for a player who hasn’t exactly been the first name on the team sheet in a poor Newcastle side for the last 5 years is not good business.

I’m not saying he’s a poor player - I’d expect him to improve our match day squad but I’m not sure he’s a guaranteed starter for us.

People say “it’s not my money” but every pound we overspend on a player like Perez is a pound less we have to spend somewhere else. It does matter how much we spend on these sorts of players: we’ve been stung on big money signings time and again and it’s money we’ll never see again.

I’d be hugely underwhelmed if this is the only attacking reinforcement we bring in. When there was talk of a £30-50m winger earlier in the week, Perez’ name didn’t come up. It’s not because Perez isn’t a good player, it’s because he’s not a £30m winger in anybody’s book. Except seemingly LCFC’s!

Edited by ttfn

Peoples expectations are just insane. We literally have a squad which has 5/11 players that most United fans would have in their combined XIs, and yet if we start the season as such, people say they’d feel disappointed. Totally crackers.

4 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I don’t care how inflated the market is, breaking the club’s transfer record for a player who has been in and out of a poor Newcastle side for the last 5 years is not good business.

I’m not saying he’s a poor player - I’d expect him to improve our match day squad but I’m not sure he’s a guaranteed starter for us.

People say “it’s not my money” but every pound we overspend on a player like Perez is a pound less we have to spend somewhere else. It does matter how much we spend on these sorts of players: we’ve been stung on big money signings time and again and it’s money we’ll never see again.

I’d be hugely underwhelmed if this is the only attacking reinforcement we bring in. When there was talk of a £30-50m winger earlier in the week, Perez’ name didn’t come up. It’s not because Perez isn’t a good player, it’s because he’s not a £30m winger in anybody’s book. Except seemingly LCFC’s!

Just like Maguire isn't a £90m centre back and Wan Bissaka isn't a £50m full back. Its all relative. The transfer market has gone mental. We spent alot on unproven prem players like Slimani and Silva and they were crap and now we are spending alot on a player who is proven in the prem and scored 12goals in a pretty poor side. I agree £30m is alot but not sure why so many people get so pissy about it. We should have faith in Brendan and if he feels Perez is a player we need then so be it. People moaned cos we hadnt signed anyone other than Justin and now some are moaning when we are on the verge of signing 2 new players. We are not going to get a proven premier league attacker for less than £30m. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

True. Puel would make an excellent director of football for someone. Let him identify and sign the players and someone else manage them and you are on to a winner. 

• Like 3

A Newcastle fan you have a very average player in Perez has no pace no strength falls over all the time just had a purple patch towards the end of the season when everything he hit went in hope he does well for you 

Edited by Petee Rowntree
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

For people complaining about price, Top is a business man. If he Is told even a player who might not be a starter but will contribute to us breaking into Europe, he will pay the price. Football is a business game now, don’t forget this. 

Don’t worry about us spending money, because I can sure as hell bet the Newcastle/Arsenal/other team who are starved for transfer funds wouldn’t worry if they had a war chest to play around with.

anyway, Perez seems to be a great singing. Fits the bill of “giving it all for the shirt”, which we all love. If he can stump up more goals and assists for us, he’ll be a fans favourite from the get go.

Big, exciting season ahead!