Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

Bear in mind anyone who plays even a minute upfront for Newcastle is only thought about in comparison with Alan Shearer or Jackie Milburn or both up there.

Edited by ealingfox

54 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

You’re wasting your time mate, they were told last year that the up front fee for Danny Ward was nowhere near 12.5 million and was dependent on all kinds of add ons but it’s still been quoted ad nauseum all year. 

I know.

Its Newcastle running round telling everyone its 30m to make it look like a master stroke. 

• Like 2

I was excited about the chances of signing Tielemans and Perez yesterday.

I don't want to put a dampner on things but If we have another attacking player  or two coming in I would be slightly concerned that we are overdoing it.

We fully recovered from the 2016 signings more or less last season but I would be concerned that we are throwing money away recklessly. Congerton didn't have a lot to spend in Celtic but now it could be the other extreme with us.

• Like 1

So by the sounds of it we’re signing another bang average player for this level. I thought we were wanting to push top 6? I hope I’m wrong of course and Brendan brings out the best in him but I do feel a little (((underwhelmed))). 

I can try and spin it positively in that he’s better than Gray (not hard) eases the pressure on Barnes and able to play anywhere across the front. If he’s able to pitch in 10+ goals then that’ll do as well. Lets hope its £16m upfront and £14m potential add ons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I don't want to put a dampner on things but If we have another attacking player  or two coming in I would be slightly concerned that we are overdoing it.

we had a whole thread talking about how we were bored and that we want us to make more signings just a couple of days ago.

9 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

If we can sell Gray and Ghezzal it makes perfect sense to buy a winger who can provide goals because this pair won't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMean said:

we had a whole thread talking about how we were bored and that we want us to make more signings just a couple of days ago.

Not me. As it stands Perez and Tielemans would be great business.

I'd just be wary of signing too many players all at once. I like how we've gone about things gradually. Too many big signings all at once may not have the desired effect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

I was excited about the chances of signing Tielemans and Perez yesterday.

We fully recovered from the 2016 signings more or less last season but I would be concerned that we are throwing money away recklessly. Congerton didn't have a lot to spend in Celtic but now it could be the other extreme with us.

In all fairness we needed another No 10 player but we’re getting one who can play across the front line. Another winger and we’re sorted for a squad:

GK: Schmeichel, Ward, Iversen

CD: (Maguire), Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Morgan

WB: Chilwell, Fuchs, Pereira, Justin

Utility Defender: Amartey 

CM: Tielemans, Ndidi, Mendy, Choudhury

Wingers: Albrighton, Grey, Ghezzal, New Winger

AM/Wing: Maddison, Perez, Barnes

Strikers: Vardy, Iheanacho

Sell - Jakupovic, Slimani, Silva, King, James,

Loan or Sell - Kaputska, Diabate

Then decide which of Grey or Ghezzal has fallen too far down the pecking order as I think one of them has to go (my money will be on Ghezzal)

Edited by car1os
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Stats.

Perez. Most interceptions for a forward and second highest on number of tackles.

We have got him because we will be playing with a high press.

Think Shinji mark 2.

We really are going to be the dogs bollocks next season. Can't wait

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Stats.

Perez. Most interceptions for a forward and second highest on number of tackles.

Think Shinji mark 2.

Almost verbatim what David Connolly said on Talksport tonight

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-leicester-transfer-ayoze-perez-16523231

Ayoze Perez wanted to see Newcastle United move to the next level but felt that would not happen once Rafa Benitez left, according to sources close to the player. 

Leicester and Newcastle have agreed a £30m fee for the Spaniard, who has finalised personal terms and is undergoing a medical ahead of completing his move to the King Power Stadium.

It leaves the Magpies needing to replace two players - Perez and Salomon Rondon - who contributed 52% of their goals last season. 

After a tough start to the campaign, Benitez stuck with Perez and the forward finished the season as the Magpies' top scorer with 13 goals

ChronicleLive understands that Perez was hopeful Benitez would stay and that Newcastle would 'like to aspire to great things' and compete with Wolves, Leicester and Everton.

After Benitez's departure was confirmed, on June 24, there was a feeling within Perez's camp that the club 'will not change'.

Although Perez still dreams of playing in La Liga one day, he felt Leicester showed the ambition to make the next step after speaking to manager Brendan Rodgers on the phone before travelling to the East Midlands on Tuesday.

The Foxes are in the process of building a new state of the art training ground, which is due to be completed in a year's time, and Rodgers has made an assured start since taking charge in February.

Perez, who joined Newcastle from Tenerife in 2014, believed it was time for a change after five years at St James' Park and has been considering his options for several months.

The 25-year-old looks back fondly on his time on Tyneside and his three goal of the season awards for the club will take pride of place in his new home.

Edited by brucey

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

Stats.

Think Shinji mark 2.

This is genuinely exciting information.  Maybe it's sad but I love it when we sign a player at the top of the interception and tackling charts.  It worked bloody well with Kante and N'didi after all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

I don’t care how inflated the market is, breaking the club’s transfer record for a player who hasn’t exactly been the first name on the team sheet in a poor Newcastle side for the last 5 years is not good business.

I’m not saying he’s a poor player - I’d expect him to improve our match day squad but I’m not sure he’s a guaranteed starter for us.

People say “it’s not my money” but every pound we overspend on a player like Perez is a pound less we have to spend somewhere else. It does matter how much we spend on these sorts of players: we’ve been stung on big money signings time and again and it’s money we’ll never see again.

I’d be hugely underwhelmed if this is the only attacking reinforcement we bring in. When there was talk of a £30-50m winger earlier in the week, Perez’ name didn’t come up. It’s not because Perez isn’t a good player, it’s because he’s not a £30m winger in anybody’s book. Except seemingly LCFC’s!

It amazes me that people can't see it. Signings like Silva & Slimani have stunted our progress.

• Like 3

I’ve not been following every minute detail despite having lots of tine because I’m not excruciatingly boring like some of you but if it is £16m + £14m in add ons then I’m fairly pleased with this. £30m upfront then it’s a daft price.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I’ve not been following every minute detail despite having lots of tine because I’m not excruciatingly boring like some of you but if it is £16m + £14m in add ons then I’m fairly pleased with this. £30m upfront then it’s a daft price.

I haven’t followed every twist and turn of this thread, but if we’ve essentially got him due to a release clause of 30m (is that right?), I don’t think that would work with add ons. Any release clause would only be satisfied by an agreement for payment in full, usually over time. Newcastle would not be forced into letting letting him go for anything less than the clause amount in full regardless of performance.

Personally I really hope we don’t try to shortcut development by buying too many players at once. This has failed repeatedly at other clubs. Evolution based on developing youngsters sprinkled with some older players with experience is better in the long run.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

Kinnell, im reading this and im on page 6.. i look down and see its at page 39 ??? im guessing we officially signed and announced him and the last 33 pages have been celebrating or denigrating? - jumping to "last page"

edit, page 39... suddenly, nothing happened lol 

Edited by ozleicester

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I understand people not wanting to see MA dropped - he's a favourite of mine too, who can forget what he has contributed to LCFC? However, progress will be progress, and if he's good enough, he'll still be involved.

I don’t see it as anyone needing to be ‘dropped’ really. We simply need alternatives. Good alternatives who can come in when needed. That’s what this squad is short of imo. The first team is good but our squad isn’t good enough. Perez would add some quality.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t see it as anyone needing to be ‘dropped’ really. We simply need alternatives. Good alternatives who can come in when needed. That’s what this squad is short of imo. The first team is good but our squad isn’t good enough. Perez would add some quality.

I agree. Our problem last season was our bench. Who could turn a game or who could add another dimension to a game when needed. It was very limited. Playing certain teams requires different tactics, and having different options around the club makes us stronger and will make the players step up their game due to competition. 

• Like 2