Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

A. Perez

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Those "average" seasons he still turned in numbers better than anyone else we've got has gone (barring Vardy). 

Exactly my point. They should all go and take a look at Albrighton, Gray, Ghezzal, Okazaki seasonal stats on Whoscored since they joined, none of them have clocked up similar stats to Perez at any point.

• Like 1

Perez was a young, attacking player in a defensively minded Newcastle side that have, until Rafa, yo-yoed between the Premier League and the Championship. I can see why Newcastle fans might have had their frustrations with him based on his playing style perhaps not fully suiting the team. That being said he still received a lot of plaudits for his work rate, technical ability and getting amongst the goals. That ticks a number of boxes for me.

I do think we're a much better fit for Perez and the general quality in our side is much higher. I hope he will thrive here and we've made a very shrewd signing. I'm confident we've made a good addition here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The fact is that you can make a highlights reel for Perez whereas you couldn't for Gray or Albrighton.

He improves the squad in a position we have a gap.

What's not to like?

Perez isn't a winger to be fair.

He averages about eight goals and five assists a season, stats of a decent mid table winger, far above our current crop (except for Barnes hopefully). It's hardly a top six side improvement. But it is an improvement.

30 minutes ago, jamfox said:

Whilst its true some sound not bothered, there is also a S~it load of negativity and defeatism some just sound like they have given up! I think the consensus is that he is a player with real promise that has not been consistent enough, he has frustrated in the past and yes came good last season. But you just about right him off because off that?   Cup half empty!  if you really want to be that negative then spend more time in the Newcastle forum its really depressing you will fit right in ;) .  We have a buzz at Leicester and that’s the energy that can take us to the next level.   He has not even kicked a ball for us yet so get a grip,  are you having a bad week?

Not at all, I have my hat on at a jaunty angle, but thanks for asking.

I admit that going onto the Newcastle forum was probably a mistake.  I was unsure about him yesterday, but after reading that I was downright downcast.

It's not that I've written him off, I think he'll be OK but no better and my expectations were higher if we are going to break our transfer record.  

It always makes me smile when people are not supposed to have opinions on players because they haven't "kicked a ball for us yet".  I heard the same thing with Ghezzal last year, as if putting on a blue shirt would magically transform him.  We make our judgements on signings on career to date.  Perez is a known quantity and it seems as though I am in  a minority of one, but that actually makes me feel better because I would be happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

He averages about eight goals and five assists a season, stats of a decent mid table winger, far above our current crop (except for Barnes hopefully). It's hardly a top six side improvement. But it is an improvement.

Not fair to compare your hopes for one player with the actual record of another. Hopefully Perez gets more goals and assists in an attacking Leicester team rather than a more defensive Newcastle team.

13 hours ago, adam1 said:

Stats.

Perez. Most interceptions for a forward and second highest on number of tackles.

We have got him because we will be playing with a high press.

Think Shinji mark 2.

How good is he at falling over?

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Oh, I can do much better than that.

Whilst passing a particularly stubborn motion this morning, I dropped into the Newcastle forum to see what the Geordies were saying.  It makes for dismal reading.  I would strongly urge others not to do likewise.  These are the people that see him week in week out, so hardly moronic to be concerned that we have spaffed our winger budget on mediocrity.  

Funny..you translate only the drivel..

He's been nominated from those Newcastle fans,regularly their player of the season...or goal of the season,move of the season, xxx- of the season.

Plus his statistic,are way above our present players...so where does that leave your own comparisons and opinion on expectancy...

We buy a player...before he kicks a ball we have to get the negatives slotted in..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

I admit that going onto the Newcastle forum was probably a mistake.  I was unsure about him yesterday, but after reading that I was downright downcast.

It's not that I've written him off, I think he'll be OK but no better and my expectations were higher if we are going to break our transfer record.  

It always makes me smile when people are not supposed to have opinions on players because they haven't "kicked a ball for us yet".  I heard the same thing with Ghezzal last year, as if putting on a blue shirt would magically transform him.  We make our judgements on signings on career to date.  Perez is a known quantity and it seems as though I am in  a minority of one, but that actually makes me feel better because I would be happy to be wrong.

Perez doesn't need to be 'transformed'. All he has to do is post similar goals/assists stats to last season and he's worth the money.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'm pretty much cut from the same cloth as you mate and find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts not just on this thread but others to. I'm also a perfectionist when it comes to LCFC and find fault with any player we sign unless they tick every box. JJ and Tielemans I'm 100% happy with but I can't say that about Perez, he feel a bit mediocre and no better than what we have and I believe we have 9 top class players in our team and wanted one or two more who are as good as the rest of the team.

However if I look at the positives of Perez, the signing here might be the making of him.

He's still only 25 but has PL experience and has ambitions to play for Spain so he must think he's good enough and if anyone can bring it out of him it's BR.

The stats that say he's ranked No1 and No2 for attacking players in tackling and interceptions is a stat that shouldn't be underestimated and I remember the own goal against us when he sprinted back from the halfway line to help his defence when other players were jogging. 

He's also got goals in him and it's important we find a regular source of goals outside Vardy. Having Maddison as the second most likely source of goals outside of Vardy isn't good enough when you're depending on a No8 to do this. I'm also going to accept that we're not paying £30m but £16m with add ons as some ITK's have claimed. 

He's not the signing I wanted to hear as I don't think he really improves the first XI but just gives us more options but he might become a revelation here in a more offensive team and surrounded by better quality players. 

Well he does doesn't he? 13 goals and 2 assists compared with 4 (1), 2 (2), 1 (4), 1 (1) from last season. It's night and fcukin day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Those "average" seasons he still turned in numbers better than anyone else we've got has gone (barring Vardy). 

Imagine how much better off we might of been last season with those 'average' 12 goals.

We are a team that generally relies on one player to score our goals and we need to spread that burden. We can't be turning our noses up at this, its a solid signing.

14 minutes ago, murphy said:

What did you think of Kasper, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Shinji and Vardy before they all signed?

35 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

What did you think of Kasper, Simpson, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater, Albrighton, Shinji and Vardy before they all signed?

Most of those were signed in the Championship.  Different times, different budgets, different expectations. 

None of those were club records and a couple were freebies and most were £1m or less.  I could go through them individually if you're really interested but pretty much positive on the lot of them.

Edit - just as an aside to this and on the subject of negativity, I am not always on this side of the argument.  I defended Puel and still do, Chilwell in his first year and have also been defending Magure of late from people that seem to think he isn't that special.

I guess it's all about expectations.  I think we have an opportunity to bring in genuine class but we're missing the boat.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

Written this week on the Perez transfer by a sports writer:

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to make significant improvements to his squad this summer, and identified his side’s attack as a key area of concern in the second half of last season.

Jamie Vardy remains a key part of the Leicester ranks, but is set to turn 33 in January. Neither Kelechi Iheanacho nor Islam Slimani is regarded as a long-term answer to the Foxes’ attacking issues, while Rodgers is understood to harbour doubts about Shinji Okazaki’s ability to succeed as part of his preferred system.

And these people get paid for writing crap.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, murphy said:

I get your point about reading the Newcastle forums and like yourself i do like to check out what other fans are saying on a player they have watched and we are interested in. On the whole they tend to know better.

However, If you want to feel better, go onto the Monaco forums and read/translate all the posts they had on Youri being loan swapped for Silva. and then the posts after Silva joined. Most were ecstatic, Youri for some reason just didn't work it for them or fit into their team and Silva did. Quite the opposite to us. With Perez at least he was achieving at a very defensive Newcastle (& unlike Silva ever really did for us)

With the current state of Newcastle i doubt they have any positivity left and wouldnt give x2 hoots on who left, since the sad part is the ££ probably won't be reinvested into the club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I get your point about reading the Newcastle forums and like yourself i do like to check out what other fans are saying on a player they have watched and we are interested in. On the whole they tend to know better.

However, If you want to feel better, go onto the Monaco forums and read/translate all the posts they had on Youri being loan swapped for Silva. and then the posts after Silva joined. Most were ecstatic, Youri for some reason just didn't work it for them or fit into their team and Silva did. Quite the opposite to us. With Perez at least he was achieving at a very defensive Newcastle (& unlike Silva ever really did for us)

With the current state of Newcastle i doubt they have any positivity left and wouldnt give x2 hoots on who left, since the sad part is the ££ probably won't be reinvested into the club. 

That's a very good point but he did have a top class reputation prior to Monaco.

Nonetheless, that does make me feel better.:)

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

No he isn't, but we are getting him for half what we got for Mahrez a year ago.

He is a decent addition who can add goals and play in a variety of attacking positions. An Okazaki upgrade with more goals.

To me he is. Don’t come in here shattering my illusions. 

The Newcastle forum is saying he has passed his medical with us today. Looks like we'll see how he fits in and if he's good enough soon enough.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-transfer-news-live-16524419

I am guessing they've done their due diligence on him - nice lad, hard worker, no ego. All that kinda' shite.

COYB 

Edited by swanlee
web link

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well he does doesn't he? 13 goals and 2 assists compared with 4 (1), 2 (2), 1 (4), 1 (1) from last season. It's night and fcukin day.

Don't worry perfectionists..often forget conveniently their own miscomings..

Like people who don't suffer fools,and

those who say what they think...:cool:

• Like 1

Did anyone else listen to TalkSport yesterday? There was a guy phoned in, Newcastle fan, asked to give his opinion on Perez and he said that the last 2 years, Rafa had him playing defensively and that he never really gave him free reign to attack and get forward as much as he could and the fans could see that he could have scored so much more than he did. He said that he thinks Perez will be successful at Leicester as he'll get more of the ball and more opportunities to attack than at Newcastle. I think he'll be a great signing and at 25, his best years still to come hopefully. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, murphy said:

That's a very good point but he did have a top class reputation prior to Monaco.

Nonetheless, that does make me feel better.:)

I've looked around multiple sources and the general feeling was one of gutted to see him go but that it was good money for a player who has blown hot and cold. That has to be tempered with the fact he's played as a creative player in a dour and negative team starved of other creative players. People almost unanimously said that the second he was able to link up with Almiron (sp) it brought so much more out of him. He's also continued to register decent numbers despite being "inconsistent", along with that he's a work horse and will but a gut for the team. Which is a step up from the likes of Mahrez and Iheanacho who looked / look uninterested and passengers at times when out of form.

Another thing, forums are a good source of information. But from forum to forum you get huge swings in feeling, you only have to go on Bentleys Roof or Talking Balls at times to see that similar mentalities flock. One forum might like x player or x manger, another swings wildly the other way. 

• Like 3