Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

On 06/08/2019 at 00:05, Meat and 2 veg said:

Mahrez and Kante yes, wasn’t bothered about drinkwater tbh

I find this comment far worse than any criticism for Maguire.

Kanté was here for a year

Mahrez was here for 5 

Drinkwater was here for 6, he played 20% more games than Mahrez, was a more important factor in our promotion to the Prem and a very important component in our title win.

Drinkwater gets too much unwarranted hate from these boards.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

TBH I feel that Maguire's departure has thrown a spanner in the works of Leicester's plans for this season. 

That may be true but the reality is when we bought him 2 seasons ago no one really thought he would be amazing and had reservations about his pace. 2 seasons on and a huge profit, there are still quite a few reservations about his pace and aspects of his game. His status IMO has been majorly enhanced not for what he has done on the pitch with us (where he has been no better than good on average) but for what he has done with England, from scoring in a World Cup and getting in the team because Central defender is one of the weakest positions for England these days. Had he not got involved in England he would be a 30-40m player based on Leicester performances alone.

Anyway we are Leicester so will always sell but if we can limit it to one a season like we seem to be doing then that would be amazing, largely because we always add quality these days with thanks to profits of selling a marquee player.BTW, we shouldnt grumble too much. If Liverpool have to sell the likes of Suarez and Coutinho, Barca Neymar and Real Madrid Ronaldo then I think us selling Maguire shouldnt come as too much of a shock.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

Mahrez was here for 5 

Drinkwater was here for 6, he played 20% more games than Mahrez, was a more important factor in our promotion to the Prem and a very important component in our title win.

Well only because I thought silva was class... turns out he wasn’t as good as I thought :dunno:

This ultimately take our defence from 'good' to 'decent', we still don't know the full extent of Soyuncu & Benkovic's promise and we still have our most solid defensive unit in Evans. 

We shouldn't have too many concerns until we understand exactly whats left behind, he's left nowhere near as big a hole as Mahrez or Kante did and we've pushed on without them. We'll live.

11 minutes ago, Blueblue88 said:

Who do you guys think will start alongside Evans? I was so impressed with Soyuncu before he came to the Prem, and he didn’t get a chance last season. It’s a straight shootout with Benkovic I guess.

I don't think anyone has found Soyuncu yet..he's still sliding after his challenge against Fulham last season!

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Net spend ended up been a bit meh, what happened to the claimed going for broke some predicted?

We nerly did! Broke even that is.......

SLAMMED Rafael van der Vaart claims new Manchester United star Harry Maguire was England’s worst player at the Nations League
By Joe Coleman
11th August 2019, 8:00 am
Rafael van der Vaart revealed Harry Maguire was considered England’s worst player at the Nations League.

The centre-half became the most expensive defender in football history when he completed an £80million move from Leicester City to join Manchester United.

However, former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Van der Vaart was left flabbergasted at the fee shelled out by the Red Devils.

During the UEFA Nations League finals back in June, the Ajax legend was working for a television company in the Netherlands.

And, as he revealed on Sky Sports, the consensus amongst the Dutch was the 26-year-old was actually a liability.

“It’s funny because during the Nations League, I was doing work for Dutch television,” he said.

“And I remember we were saying ‘Harry Maguire was by far the worst player on the pitch’.

“And then, two months later [he transferred for] £90million?”

Maguire is expected to make his Old Trafford debut on Sunday afternoon when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is likely to entrust him to start against Chelsea.

And the Norwegian is delighted to have signed his number one target during the transfer window.

“I’m delighted we have got Harry in because he’s going to be great for this club,” said Solskjaer.

“He was always my No 1 target. I more or less made my mind up when we played Leicester that if it was possible to get him, we should at least try. He is so composed on the ball and he gives the team another dimension.

“He has already shown what a presence he will be and what an impact he will have in the squad. Harry is a leader, an established international, a goal threat and a very, very good defender.

“I don’t want to compare us to Liverpool or Harry to Van Dijk, but I know Harry is going to have a massive impact on us, yes.”

https://talksport.com/football/585554/rafael-van-der-vaart-manchester-united-transfer-harry-maguire-england-nations-league/

Such a non-story. 

The reason he didn't go to Man City was that they didn't match or meet our valuation. United were the only team to match our valuation and hence that was the team he went to.

But obviously "Maguire chooses United over City due to United matching the value" doesn't sell papers or get clicks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Such a non-story. 

The reason he didn't go to Man City was that they didn't match or meet our valuation. United were the only team to match our valuation and hence that was the team he went to.

But obviously "Maguire chooses United over City due to United matching the value" doesn't sell papers or get clicks.

come on, you don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

Especially when its the Mail

40 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Such a non-story. 

BS from the utter gutter press rimming MU arse for the clicks.

I've never taken anything from the Daily Mail seriously, they're trash, shit-stirrers, always on the wind-up and more than once just flat-out lie. One should never consider them remotely to close to journalists. The comments and the posters average IQ on the other side are pure banter.

Edited by That_Dude

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:00, FIF said:

Mahrez was here for 5 

Chelsea made a giant cock up buying him for big money. Now they want to get shot of him. Another Championship quality player.

• Like 1

Might be unpopular, but I've got more love for Drinky than Kante in all honesty, obviously Kante was a huge catalyst but Drinky was there at the start of the build and also had a bit of a roller coaster ride himself.  Remember how much he was slated after the Barnsley game? You could argue his rise here was quite similar to Vardy's, go from thinking he's pretty disposable to then becoming such a key player the club. I think the euro 2016 snub did actually get to him, because I don't think he was the same player after that. Like with Kante, while I'll have fond memories of him, I just can't quite love him after he ran straight for the exit immediately after winning the title. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

As good as Kanté was, I have to agree. 

His association is much stronger with Chelsea now than it is with us, he’s nowhere near the legend status of the likes of Vardy, Morgan, Mahrez, Drinkwater and the rest. 

As fans we can acknowledge how good he was, but if we hadn’t won the league that season and he performed just as good as he did then I doubt he would be called a ‘legend’ amongst fans. It was more his involvement in being part of something much bigger which is why I think that word gets associated with him. 

I think the actual move itself leaves a bitter taste too, no disrespect to Chelsea and I'm not saying he should've stayed here for these years but he's an elite level defensive midfielder who should be at a club where the ceiling is always winning the league & the champions league. He's at a club where the ceiling is basically top 4 these days, at least with Riyad and he may not have gone about it the right way at times, but you can look and see he's at an elite level club with one of the greatest manager's of all time and he's already equalled Kante's post leicester trophy oount, you can't say owt but fairplay to him that was a big step up. I can't help but feel, Kante didn't really have a huge step up. 

On 08/08/2019 at 20:42, Chrysalis said:

Net spend ended up been a bit meh, what happened to the claimed going for broke some predicted?

skysports-graphic-data-transfer_4740034.png

11mil is that a joke. I hope a considerable amount of cash is on ice to be used in the next two transfer windows or else Rodgers got hoodwinked again.:)

7 minutes ago, SO1 said:

11mil is that a joke. I hope a considerable amount of cash is on ice to be used in the next two transfer windows or else Rodgers got hoodwinked again.:)

These numbers look suspect.  Chelsea sold Hazard for £90M. No way they have a net income of £173M.

On 09/08/2019 at 01:42, Chrysalis said:

skysports-graphic-data-transfer_4740034.png

I know it doesn’t make much difference but it was actually a net spend of £20 million because we had to give Hull £9 million.