Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

30 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Also, am I the only one on here that thought we were actually tighter at the back when Maguire was out injured last season? 

Think it's pretty obvious...

The question is, how many goals did we score, and how many points did we average, with and without Maguire?

(I genuinely don't know, someone feel free to work it out if you have time)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucey said:

The question is, how many goals did we score, and how many points did we average, with and without Maguire?

I hadn't looked or checked our stats before I posted, but it was my gut feeling  when I watched our matches last season the team looked much more solid when Maguire wasn't in the team.

So it's interesting those stats back my gut feeling up. (Not that I'm a great one for stats, which can be twisted one way or another). But it would certainly be interesting to see the goal return in those same matches, because one thing Maguire did better than Evans & Morgan was provide a better threat on set pieces.

2 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I hadn't looked or checked our stats before I posted, but it was my gut feeling  when I watched our matches last season the team looked much more solid when Maguire wasn't in the team.

So it's interesting those stats back my gut feeling up. (Not that I'm a great one for stats, which can be twisted one way or another). But it would certainly be interesting to see the goal return in those same matches, because one thing Maguire did better than Evans & Morgan was provide a better threat on set pieces.

lol

16 minutes ago, brucey said:

Surely you have to take into account the opposition? 

Edited by Meat and 2 veg

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Yes he's not worth the money but he is still a very good player and we certainly worse off without him, for now at least. He's a modern defender so will make the odd mistake and I think you need to be clever with the players you have around him. In a team that might dominate possession a lot he will be good.

Used us for career development, but that's fine, that's the way it is. We are kidding ourselves if we think players won't leave to join the likes of United. Don't have any anger towards him and hope we don't abuse him when he returns but he's just another player now.

I feel slightly miffed when he talks about being excited by OGS's vision and plans for the club as one of the reasons for his move. It's tantamount to saying that Brendon, Top and Leicester's vision and plans weren't good enough.

Obviously I'm biased but I reckon team like Leicester trying to break into top 6 team like Man U struggling to maintain place in top 6 is far more vision from us.

Empty words to appease the plastic millions from Slabhead there.

• Like 2

Maguire has been great for us, but do you think that we should hold back from splashing the cash as VAR may change the qualities / attributes that we judge defenders by. Steve Walsh was an excellent defender in his day but far too physical for todays game. Will VAR be  a real Game changer for defenders.        

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I feel slightly miffed when he talks about being excited by OGS's vision and plans for the club as one of the reasons for his move. It's tantamount to saying that Brendon, Top and Leicester's vision and plans weren't good enough.

Obviously I'm biased but I reckon team like Leicester trying to break into top 6 team like Man U struggling to maintain place in top 6 is far more vision from us.

Footballers' statements are always empty and formulaic like that. I'm sure I remember him saying something similar re: Shakespeare as the reason for joining us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

He’s clearly not joint Man U because of ole, it’s the £200k p/w 6 year deal which id imagine is his motive 

23 minutes ago, brucey said:

Who we got the points against might be worth considering too.

Wes saved the day in Burnley after Harry's red as shown by the photo above but it's skewing the argument that we might be better off without Maguire. 

1 minute ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

He’s clearly not joint Man U because of ole, it’s the £200k p/w 6 year deal which id imagine is his motive 

Exactly. But that's not what he said. As @brucey said above, just formulaic. Doesn't mean he should say it, or give any thought to how it reflects on his former club.

9 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

His real vision at MU is that OGS will be sacked by Christmas; Pogba and the other spoilt brats will still be shipped out this summer; they’ll bring in a manager that knows why he’s doing - and then it will seem like a good move. ?. All players spout crap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

His real vision at MU is that OGS will be sacked by Christmas; Pogba and the other spoilt brats will still be shipped out this summer; they’ll bring in a manager that knows why he’s doing - and then it will seem like a good move. ?. All players spouted crap. 

Meh. Man Utd have had opportunities to do that for several seasons now without success.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Good luck Harry.

One of my favourite players over the last couple of years, I don't begrudge him his move and we have done incredibly well out of it.  I hope he does well and gets a good reception when he comes back here.

A good reception doing a job for about 2 years on 90 k a week don’t make me laugh I did a job for 10 years very well and when I returned was told wasn’t welcome as I cost my old boss money ? it’s a job he’s taken the shilling he’s a man utd player won fook all here so treated like any other transferred player. Now the immortals who gave us a lifetime of memories heros the lot of them different story not a gold digger who achieved nowt and left when we were on the verge of potentially something special.

It is really annoying that so called big clubs can just keep nabbing the best players from their competitors in the same league. Develop and find your own players!

It is really annoying also that our best players keep getting nabbed by the big clubs: Kante, Mahrez, etc.

No wonder smaller clubs cannot compete.

The FA should consider some transfer rules against this and apply a special tax on top of transfer fees to discourage this for the good of the game.

Having said this, if they want our best players, then they well need to pay a premium! In this regard, I am happy that we got £80mil for Maguire - an above average defender at best. ?

Edited by Tom12345

1 minute ago, Tom12345 said:

It is really annoying that so called big clubs can just keep nabbing the best players from their competitors in the same league. Develop and find your own players!

It is really annoying also that our best players keep getting nabbed by the big clubs: Kante, Mahrez, etc.

The FA should consider some transfer rules against this and apply a special tax on top of transfer fees to discourage this for the good of the game.

Having said this, if they want our best players, then they well need to pay a premium! In this regard, I am happy that we got £80mil for Maguire - an above average defender at best.

The pressure is a different one, Top Six teams have a much more global appeal still and huge investments also serve as to appease the fanbase as well as the investors.

But this can all go pear-shaped pretty quickly, when demands clash with reality.

Let's not forget that we nabbed Kanté and Mahrez from Ligue 2 obscurity in France and that they did prosper the way they did was also down to luck and many components coming together. Our luck that we were able to cash in big with these two, for example. Or Drinkwater to Chelsea.

But big names don't guarantee success, and it remains to be seen how Manchester United, for instance, can and will compete against title contenders such as Manchester City and Liverpool.

Their team has to gel still, I think. Whereas we are much more of a unit. And we should and will continue to nurture young talent from the UK and abroad, has served us well in recent years.

Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

I think the benefit that Maguire gives is his ability to play the ball out from the back. We may concede more goals with him in the side but he has the ability to be the springboard for attacks too. This is what Man United have bought him for cos they have to play 75% of their games against teams who park the bus.

For that reason, selling him might actually improve the team. We will only play against packed defences for what, 40% of the time? 

Given how attack-minded our full-backs are though, it might actually improve the team if we brought in a ‘unit’ like Lewis Dunk to replace him.

18 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

A good reception doing a job for about 2 years on 90 k a week don’t make me laugh I did a job for 10 years very well and when I returned was told wasn’t welcome as I cost my old boss money ? it’s a job he’s taken the shilling he’s a man utd player won fook all here so treated like any other transferred player. Now the immortals who gave us a lifetime of memories heros the lot of them different story not a gold digger who achieved nowt and left when we were on the verge of potentially something special.

I think we should give all of our transferred players a good reception unless there is a good reason not to.  Do you only reserve a welcome for players if they won the league then?  

Harry has been great for us, become an England regular and earned us a huge profit.  He has gone to the biggest club in the country and if that makes you angry you should try to accept the natural order of things.  Good players will always take an opportunity to play for the biggest clubs.  We will see it happen again next year.

All that bitterness is not healthy you know and Harry has done nothing to deserve it.

18 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Having said this, if they want our best players, then they well need to pay a premium! In this regard, I am happy that we got £80mil for Maguire - an above average defender at best. ?

It happens at all levels to be fair.

Liverpool would have the same complaint about Barca buying Coutinho.

We have the same complaint about Kante / Mahrez / Maguire.

Lower prem league and top championship sides probably have that complaint about us.

League 1 sides have the same complaints about Championship sides

And so on, and so on....

• Like 1