Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dennis Praet - Finally Signed!

On 20/08/2019 at 21:09, Paninistickers said:

I think it's nothing more than a vibe, a hunch.

He came on and made a debut in the toughest of scenarios, the game at full pelt and a tiny mistake either way was going to decide the game. And he did OK....which is about the max you could expect in such a in-at-the-deep-end 17 mins

I remember getting the  same strength of vibe when Silva dandily crept onto the pitch v Huddersfield - only in that case the vibe was one of absolute horror. He looked small, weak, a little boy lost and out of his depth. Proof that vibes alone can be accurate lol

I thought Silva impressed everyone in a short cameo at the end of some match (can’t remember which) in his debut. Things went generally downhill subsequently.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I thought Silva impressed everyone in a short cameo at the end of some match (can’t remember which) in his debut. Things went generally downhill subsequently.

correct ....

busy, tackling, quick passing, buzzing around and we scored late on with his prompting involved - just lacked the physicality required in this league when it came to it (and didn’t have the pace to compensate). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“Training is really intense, a big difference in the Italian way of training and playing so I think I need some time to adapt to the Premier League, But it’s going really well and I feel really good at Leicester.

I think everybody wants to start all of the games, so of course that’s what I’m hoping, but I’m happy with the minutes the coach gave me.

I have to earn this position to start so I hope I can show him in the next couple of weeks what I’m capable of and then we’ll see.”

That sounds more like Barnes starting next week than Praet :fc:

• Sad 1

On 21/08/2019 at 18:16, Swiss_tony said:

He looks like the player we thought silva was gonna be.

He's tough.

He can tackle.

He can pass accurately.

That puts him above some of the other current midfield players.

Maddison and tielemans can pass but aren't great ball  winners.

ndidi and choudrey are great ball winners but not great passers.

i  think he could be the glue that holds the midfield together if given a chance.

Caveat emptor: that's based on 20 mins against a stretched and tiring chelsea midfield.

Agree except that Hamza can pass.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Backwards and three yards to Ndidi or a fullback, sure. Anything more ambitious than that and he struggles a good bit.

He's getting better at it in my opinion, that tackle run and pass for Iheanacho's sitter vs Man City at the end of last season was majestic. Hopefully Rodgers can continue to improve him, he seems keen on him playing a slightly more box to box role than of a DM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He's getting better at it in my opinion, that tackle run and pass for Iheanacho's sitter vs Man City at the end of last season was majestic. Hopefully Rodgers can continue to improve him, he seems keen on him playing a slightly more box to box role than of a DM.

Sounds like Jordan Henderson at Liverpool. Something in between. Slowly but surely players who are more than one dimensional.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Backwards and three yards to Ndidi or a fullback, sure. Anything more ambitious than that and he struggles a good bit.

He was really impressive in the u21s this year with his passing tbh. Praet is probably better. But I wouldn't put Hamza's passing at the same level as Ndidi's.

19 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

To be honest the game largely passed him by. He wasn't poor by any means, but didn't really run the show as we would have hoped. He did have good touches and passing, and in the second half had an exquisite turn, control and pass that put Maddison into a very dangerous opportunity.

It was a classic case of adjusting to the Premier League. You could see that in those chaotic moments where the ball is breaking between each side multiple times in quick succession that he was quite shocked. In Italian football it almost feels like once a team loses the ball that "it's our turn now" and the opposition start building it instead. Here of course, teams fight for every ball and you can easily concede just seconds after almost scoring yourself.

If you compare him to Adrien Silva (which I think is a fair comparison given the transfer fees involved), then Praet is not lightweight and didn't get pushed off the ball easily. He also generally kept the ball and is a progressive passer who helps get us going. Where he's gone wrong so far is that on the turnover, he's often caught flat footed and starts ball watching rather than getting into the correct position to retain the shape and structure for us to retain control.

I'm not sure how long it will take him to fully adapt, but one thing I will say is that you can see the guy has great touch and technique. He's got the same ability Maddison has to twist and turn his body in such a way that in just a few seconds he goes from appearing to be hemmed in under pressure to having the reign of the pitch to pass into. Despite him being dragged off after 60 minutes, I think it was useful for him to play today so he was thrown into the deep end.

For a player like this, it just depends on if they can adapt to the league or not. Players coming from Serie A often have mixed results. On one hand you've had players like Salah, Rudiger and Torreria who eventually adapted, but then you also have players throughout the years such as Aquilani, Shevchenko, Veron that did not. I'd be surprised if Praet didn't though, for his first two games he's shown plenty of good signs.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Although I'd add that I think all our midfielders in our opening three matches have been unsure what their actual role is in the team. 

Without a natural winger, who creates the width required to open pockets of space, they all seem at sea to me, almost getting in each others way. Perez, Maddison, Tielemans have been just as 'in and out' of matches as Praet was yesterday, and there is no question in my mind Tielemans is not the same player as last season in the way BR is currently setting us up.

The situation seems to get better as matches progress, maybe because the match opens up, or defenders tire, but especially when we sub one of them off to bring on a natural winger.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 21:32, StriderHiryu said:

In Italian football it almost feels like once a team loses the ball that "it's our turn now" and the opposition start building it instead. Here of course, teams fight for every ball and you can easily concede just seconds after almost scoring yourself.

Easy, lazy assumption to make about Serie A. It's nowhere near that level of ball possession it once was. The past weekend it had the most goals than anyone top European league.