Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

Wolves were very hard to break down but there were positives. Got away with a couple at the start of the 2nd with some poor Wolves finishing. Soyuncu was excellent. We're only going to improve from here. My biggest concern is corners and set pieces, we aren't the biggest team. 

Can't help but feel that Rodgers got the formation wrong today. I'm not quite sure what it was - some kind of midfield diamond or 4-3-3 with Maddison wide - but it didn't work. One shot on target says it all. Two defensive midfielders at home to Wolves was too negative and we created hardly anything until Barnes came on and gave us some impetus. But for the intervention of VAR for a handball nobody in the ground saw, we'd have lost that. 

Soyuncu will get all the plaudits given the situation but I thought Ndidi played really well. He made countless interceptions, won headers and started numerous attacks. Just please don't let him shoot.

• Like 1

Very disappointed with the performance tbh.

Got let off the hook with Var and didn't really want to have a go enough. Wolves looked tired towards the end but we didn't stretch them enough. 

Think Brendan got the team selection wrong with Maddison and Perez both wide. Didn't give us enough width at all.

And when Albrighton came on he does have an obsession with crossing it for the pure sake of it to absolutely no one.

Chilwell was woeful today he really was. Worst game I've seen him have in. Leicester shirt. 

Ndidi was so wasteful too. Passing was poor. 

Soyuncu and Evans played well.

How many shots on target did we have? Can barely remember any. Think we were somewhat thankful for a draw

Thought Maddison was decent given how badly the game was played around him, yeah the corners weren't great but he was still dangerous. Noticed Hamza often coming far too deep which meant Ndidi slid into their half. Should never be allowed to happen, N'didi can't make technical passes for shit and that shouldn't be his job. 

1 minute ago, peterborofox said:

Very disappointed with the performance tbh.

Got let off the hook with Var and didn't really want to have a go enough. Wolves looked tired towards the end but we didn't stretch them enough. 

Think Brendan got the team selection wrong with Maddison and Perez both wide. Didn't give us enough width at all.

And when Albrighton came on he does have an obsession with crossing it for the pure sake of it to absolutely no one.

Chilwell was woeful today he really was. Worst game I've seen him have in. Leicester shirt. 

Ndidi was so wasteful too. Passing was poor. 

Soyuncu and Evans played well.

How many shots on target did we have? Can barely remember any. Think we were somewhat thankful for a draw

So much overreacting 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

This. 

Mixed feelings about that game as a draw is a decent result, but can't help feel we should have won it. Jota and Jimenez would usually finish one of those chances today. We restricted you to just one shot on target despite dominating possession which is our usual style of defensive counter play. 

Soyuncu for you and Boly for us the pick of the defensive displays on offer. 

Andre Mariner and Jon Moss are both utter pricks. Mariner especially shouldn't be allowed to ref either of our games as he supports a Midlands club (Villa I think). The foul count was 13:3 against us. Crazy the amount of stuff he let go, then punished incorrectly for both sides. 

I won't go on about the VAR decision. It's the new handball rule that is flawed not VAR. Accidental handball from point blank range shouldn't be punished, only if it goes straight in. Shit rule. 

Still, all in all, we're a point up on last season already and as has been me tiobed, none of the other teams around us have gained any ground. 

I agree, you defended excellently and restricted us to almost nothing.

As for the handball, it's a difficult one. I can see why the rule was brought in, as sometimes the ball accidentally hits someone's hand and it directly results in a goal, but it was applied to the extreme today. The refs and VAR obviously didn't have much choice. 

1 minute ago, Mark said:

This formation with three central midfielders and Maddison out wide does nothing for us, from the back end of last season and into this one. Vardy is seeing less if the ball than he did when Puel was here.

Whats worrying is that Rodgers is insistent on it, given he’s signed another in Praet that we didn’t even see today. This is his plan for the season. 270 minutes without a goal, hardly any chances created in this setup and Chelsea up next.

Especially when the only source of width is from the full backs and one of them has the worst cross and pass in the final third I've ever seen in Chilwell, I'm still mystified as to why he is so highly rated going forward. Its defensively where he's any good now, the rest is nowhere near good enough.

Rodgers surely can't persist with this? He's supposedly all about goals and we will not score anywhere near enough in systems like this with the personnel he is selecting. Badly need Barnes to make himself undroppable and hope Perez does the business too. Gray is erratic but not having his pace on the bench is another surprise too, his days seem numbered but what other options do we have?

• Like 2

We looked absolutely devoid of ideas.

We’re not going to get close to the top 6 playing both Ndidi and Choudhury in all except for a few games. There’s a time and a place but at home to a side which finished 7th last year and has just travelled 2,000 miles in midweek is not it.

Speaking to Ndidi, he did have a couple of giveaways that resulted in opportunities for Wolves. But overall he was solid. Wolves is a good club and they bottled things up pretty effectively. Maddison to me was the biggest problem. He was just off and involved so much that he negatively impacted the game. 

I think Rodgers started the 2 DM's out of respect for Wolves but it didn't work out.  Wondering if we may see a similar lineup next weekend? To Rodgers credit, both of his subs impacted the match. I thought he should have gone to Albrighton earlier though - and pulled Maddison at 60 minutes.

A bit of an anticlimax but no disaster against a solid Wolves side. Very impressed with Soyuncu, and nice to have a CB with a bit of pace. Despite that we nearly got caught out on the break a couple of times with a high line.

Build up was generally much too laboured, with no attempt to break quickly, so we seem to have lost that club in the bag. Poor from Chillwell, and Maddison and Tielemans seemed to run out of puff in the second half.

Usual good display from Ricardo, and Barnes looked worth a start. 

Just now, ttfn said:

We looked absolutely devoid of ideas.

We’re not going to get close to the top 6 playing both Ndidi and Choudhury in all except for a few games. There’s a time and a place but at home to a side which finished 7th last year and has just travelled 2,000 miles in midweek is not it.

Agreed, gave them too much respect. No idea why BR wasn't confident with just 1 DM, maybe tried to be a bit too clever?? 

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

A bit of an anticlimax but no disaster against a solid Wolves side. Very impressed with Soyuncu, and nice to have a CB with a bit of pace. Despite that we nearly got caught out on the break a couple of times with a high line.

Might have lost that match with Maguire and his lack of pace. I could have seen us getting caught once or twice.  Soyuncu saved the bacon a couple of times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Especially when the only source of width is from the full backs and one of them has the worst cross and pass in the final third I've ever seen in Chilwell, I'm still mystified as to why he is so highly rated going forward. Its defensively where he's any good now, the rest is nowhere near good enough.

Rodgers surely can't persist with this? He's supposedly all about goals and we will not score anywhere near enough in systems like this with the personnel he is selecting. Badly need Barnes to make himself undroppable and hope Perez does the business too. Gray is erratic but not having his pace on the bench is another surprise too, his days seem numbered but what other options do we have?

We’ve gone all out on improving the middle of the park instead of improving our wide areas which fair enough we needed Tielemans, but we went for Praet too despite the wings needing attention for a few years, so even when he switches it it’s not as good as it could have been.