Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

Soyuncu was fantastic. As was Barnes when he came on. I thought Ndidi did well considering he’s just come back from AFCON & Pereira was class like always. 

Two DM’s was a mistake. Play Barnes or Albrighton from the start and we’d be leading at half time. But another error was playing Maddison as one of our front three. For me he cannot play as our third most advanced player. Doesn’t make runs in behind, needs the ball to feet and will drift away from Vardy making linking up more difficult.

He naturally wants to drop deep, dictate the play & take control. His role in the 4-3-3 last season suited his style beautifully. I think most of us want to see that formation again.

• Like 1

That was a very Puel-esque performance bar conceding a goal. We controlled the game throughout but never looked like scoring. All of that crisp interchange play from preseason was conspicuous in its absence. Going forward we offered nothing. 

A point on the board is better than none but Wolves were there for the taking today as I felt they looked very tame.

Roll onto next week at the Bridge. 

• Like 4

Just now, Devonfox1884 said:

Unpopular opinion: Fuchs offers more in an attacking sense than Chilwell.

Clearly Chilly is still superior overall but he can’t cross/shoot to save his life! 

I’m not sure if he is yet superior, Fuchs is a great player very underrated but Chilwell is obviously the future 

6 minutes ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

It's the corners that really need to be worked on. 12 corners and most just flew straight over.

Only one person takes them - Maddison - so yes he needs to work on them but he has been taking them since last year so he needs let someone else a go.

Also I said this a few days ago (and many time previously):

“I hope (Praet) he can come in and play instead of Madders. Madders is good but not great. He can do with more competition. Madders is too wasteful with his corner and free kicks so it would also be good for others to take a turn (eg. Barnes and Albrington).”

Got shot down massively, but perhaps we should take a look again.

I would get Barnes and Albrington back in and would drop Hamza and Maddison/Perez for the next game.  Trust though Rodgers know what he is doing.

4231 is pointless for us. 

That continues on from last year under Puel. 

Still looking rusty and not sharp enough. Definitely not clinical enough in the final 3rd but the fact that Wolves jist parked the bus didn't help. 

Also we have so many young players that we do lack composure in our play, things were overly rushed. 

Hopefully as the season goes on we'll improve and get better. 

But my God, some posters on here are just a joke. 

Disaster merchants of the brexit purportions. 

Wolves were excellent defensively - they gave Vardy no chances whatsoever, and stifled Maddison and Tielemans somewhat too. Soyuncu was excellent, as was Evans and Ricardo. Chilwell was found out of position far too often and gave them way too much room, though the Farq was there to clean up. Fair result in the end, though disappointed we didn't have more chances.

I had a feeling it would be a draw. Surprised by the team selection and formation. Played alright against a good team, but slightly disappointing overall. Should have created more chances.

A big plus was Soyuncu. Great performance! So, so glad we didn't spunk £40-£50m on Tarkowski or Dunk now. CS will be a Rolls-Royce of a defender. Just needs experience, which he will get this season. I knew he had pace, but I didn't realise he was that fast. Maguire can only dream of being half that quick. Will allow us to play a higher line.

Hopefully, we're just rusty and will be sharper soon.

9 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Decent 1st game and i dont see it as 2 points dropped. Wolves are a very competent team and finished ahead of us last year, it was always going to be a tough & close match.

Ricardo MotM with Soyuncu also having a great game. 1st clean sheet of the season for Kasper and Barnes coming on and for me making a very good impression. 

Negative for me was our starting line-up, albeit i can 'sort of' see why it was chosen. Disappointed with the amount of corners we had which had zero effect on the game and also the lack of shots on target. Madderz and Chillwell i felt were rusty.

Roll on Chelsea and the pink hat squad. 

if wolves didnt come to park the bus then it would of made more sense but once it started we are kind of stuck with it.

• Like 1

I thought we dominated the game against a team that everyone is saying will finish above us. Thankyou VAR!! If that decision was made against us we'd be fuming! Yes chilly too chilled, soyuncu promising, mads half asleep. Ndidi very strong. All in all I think we deserved a win but always thought it would be a draw. 

CBs were great, Soyuncu in particular. Motm for me today. The way he plays will cost us goals at times (as did Maguire) but the good will far outweigh the bad.

Chilwell was shocking. Hope it's just rustiness and he gets back to his best ASAP.

Poor game from Maddison and Tielemans, but that's why we bought Praet to give us that extra option. If he'd had more time to settle I reckon we would've seen him on for Maddison there.

Wolves didn't offer much, but if they could finish they'd have won that. On reflection, a draw is probably a fair result, and one that before the game I think most would have been satisfied with.

Draw was about the right result, bit of a poor game and cancelled each other out which I’m abit disappointed in.

Based on that we’re still going to struggle to break teams down which is a concern but credit to Wolves, they were solid, it’s up to us to find a round this problem.

Credit also to Soyuncu, he put my fears at rest today, obviously it’s gonna take more than today to have full confidence in him but can’t fault him today.

Thankfully VAR came to our aid but rightly or wrongly you’d be fuming if you were a Wolves fan.

A point though, an unbeaten start, onto the next one!

Edited by Matt

Not good enough going forward.

If games are won playing nice football in our own half we would do great.

More attacking coaches required.

Perez Meh

Chillwell Meh

Tielemans Meh

Set up with 2 Dm at home shit tactics.

Soyunchu played well 

Maddison was good

Ricardo was good

Vardy did what he could

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Wolves were class defensively to be fair, gave Vardy nothing. 

Obviously helped by the fact Maddison & Perez both had shocking games. 

Hate seeing Maddison play wide, he just drifts inside and we have absolutely no threat down the left hand side.

I agree that defensively Wolves were very good. Coady nullified Vards and Boly was exceptional in stopping Ayoze and Ricardo.

Can't agree with the criticism that Madderz is getting he got involved and played well - except for his shooting - Tielemans was the quieter of the two. None of his slipped through passes to Vardy or Perez came off and he looked a little slow as is expected early in the season. 

N'didi had a very good game, Hamza had an excellent game, Soyuncu was great and Evans too. Only Chilwell was off-form at the back. Certainly those worried about Maguire's departure should feel much less worried.

Barnes did well but it was at the end of the game, would he have looked that good playing against a team with fresh legs?

I don't think that Hamza/Ndidi playing together was the problem, I think Boly was the problem and Maddison/Tielemans not getting into each other's groove was more of a problem. They just didn't link up together that well and Tielemans/Vardy was non-existent meaning that Vardy was almost non-existent.

Overall I enjoyed the game and expect good things this season. If we kick on we can get Europe, if we stay at this less it'll be 8th or 9th.

1 minute ago, Tom12345 said:

Only one person takes them - Maddison - so yes he needs to work on them but he has been taking them since last year so he needs let someone else a go.

Also I said this a few days ago (and many time previously):

“I hope (Praet) he can come in and play instead of Madders. Madders is good but not great. He can do with more competition. Madders is too wasteful with his corner and free kicks so it would also be good for others to take a turn (eg. Barnes and Albrington).”

Got shot down massively, but perhaps we should take a look again.

I would get Barnes and Albrington back in and would drop Hamza and Maddison/Perez for the next game.  Trust though Rodgers know what he is doing.

Maddison's immediate issue is he really isn't a winger and drifting in is fine if you have the ability to take the ball and pull the players out of position but he doesn't excel doing that. He was immense as a duel 8 in a 4-1-4-1 with Youri and Barnes and Gray on the wings. The last 3 league games it's all looked very ordinary from everyone going forward, the opposition has impacted on that but I don't like this personnel or formation.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

We dominated possession but they had some wonderful chances, and VAR saved our bacon. A point apiece is fair.

Soyuncu was a massive plus. 

Agreed. 

Mixed feelings about that game as a draw is a decent result, but can't help feel we should have won it. Jota and Jimenez would usually finish one of those chances today. We restricted you to just one shot on target despite dominating possession which is our usual style of defensive counter play. 

Soyuncu for you and Boly for us the pick of the defensive displays on offer. 

Andre Mariner and Jon Moss are both utter pricks. Mariner especially shouldn't be allowed to ref either of our games as he supports a Midlands club (Villa I think). The foul count was 13:3 against us. Crazy the amount of stuff he let go, then punished incorrectly for both sides. 

I won't go on about the VAR decision. It's the new handball rule that is flawed not VAR. Accidental handball from point blank range shouldn't be punished, only if it goes straight in. Shit rule. 

Still, all in all, we're a point up on last season already and as has been mentioned already, none of the other teams around us have gained any ground. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1