Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

57 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Okay so here's the thing that im not sure about, so im looking for someone with a bit more of an understanding. Their goal was rightly ruled out under this new rule as it directly led to the goal.

Their players were fuming when in a later play around the half way line the ball struck Perez's arm and the ref said play on. We went on a break and won a corner.  

Now at the time I was sat there wondering, if we score on this break, will VAR go all the way back to the start of the attack and rule it out.. because technically the handball led to a goal? If so, the refs need to rule just about everything as a foul in the moment. 

I think that the answer to this will come down to phases of play.

If we win a corner and score then that's a different phase of play to the infringement.  VAR would check from the corner kick.  If we scored from the break, it would be ruled out, if that makes sense?

That's just my take on it really.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

Good result overall against a team that came to spoil ...   Caglar or Ricardo MOTM ...  as for fookin Chilwell...   one of his worst performances.   What Brendan said he wanted that we didn’t get (see below) ...    were spookily the things that may have unlocked this match and changed the result.   Don’t get me wrong, I really rate Caglar and cheered him to the roof today but he’s still a fair way off the finished article and shouldn’t be the only option we have ...   bringing the ball out with a good finishing pass and height at corners would really really help us.    Overall though I’m a happy bunny ...   :)

55B57F60-F612-4943-8647-D0E0E0541DF7.jpeg

3 hours ago, LC/FC said:

4231 is pointless for us. 

Not calling you out specifically for this but want to put some things straight as multiple people are posting similar. 

We didn’t play 4231, it was the 433/4141 system used by Rodgers in most games last season. When Wolves had possession our defensive shape had Ndidi central and about 10 yards further back than Hamza and Tielemans. Under Puel we would have had Ndidi and Mendy next to one another as two defensive pivots. Perez started as inside right forward and Maddison as inside left. What was interesting was that when we were on the ball, several times Hamza was the deepest player and Ndidi went forwards. My hypothesis for that is that Hamza is faster so can cover the counter attack better when Wolves break which we know is how they play.  But I’m not the manager so it’s just a guess!

I’m not 100% sure I’d say Hamza is an out and out CDM as he sometimes gets shifted to a more box-to-box role like today, but I will say that he’s not a technician. When Maddison went central we had slightly better creativity though I think that’s more due to Barnes driving at players than Maddison getting on the ball! Having Hamza in the team gives us energy and better stability but we miss out on forward thinking passing and creativity. Only Tielemans really seems to try the forward thinking passes in our setup today. Had Praet been fit it would be fascinating to know if he would have started. 

Last season versus Man City and Chelsea Rodgers used the 4231 with Hamza and Ndidi next to one another when out of possession. But not today. 

It will be interesting to see what shape is used versus Chelsea. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Typical first match of the season stuff where everyone was rusty and not wanting to play too open and risk losing the first match. We set up ultra cautiously - have to wonder if we would have started with Wilf and Hamza if Harry were still here. 

Lord Farq was fantastic - the real positive from today for us. Harvey also looked great when he came on. Felt it was a very assured performance from Wilf too, considering he only just got back. 

Felt like much of the same old same old. We cannot break teams down when they get everyone behind the ball. 

Today felt like we were playing at a snail's pace. Just one too many passes slowing us down going forward. Wolves reminded me of us a few seasons ago. Allow the opposition to have the ball then counter. Have to admit going forward they looked so much more dangerous than us. Also at times it felt like we were only defending with two fullbacks. Love Ricky P but we are relying on him way too much. Got tired of the ball being on Chillwells side only to be played sideways to Ricky P. Their number 15 had Ricky in his pocket with the exception of a few times but we kept trying. 

Vardy had no service and was beaten for pace on a few occasions. I have been saying this for 3 seasons now, we have no plan B. 

We just keep trying the same thing stack after attack. Wolves today just doubled and tripped Ricky and we were ineffective.

Playing N'Didi and Hamza was a mistake today. We looked far too midfield heavy without any real killer instinct going forward.

But defensively we looked solid again. Draw is probably a fair result as I don't feel Wolves did enough to warrant a win either. But a point on the board, onwards and updwards! In Brendan we trust :fc:

• Like 1

If it's being said we didn't play 4231, then it's more baffling to play Hamza and Ndidi. Nothing against the two if them because apart from Soyuncu they were our better players. 

4232, 4141 whatever are all variations of the same thing as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

Pleased for Söyüncü after that today, I thought he was very good, especially with that bit of scrutiny on him. Wilf looks like he’s just carried on from AFCON, surprised he went the full 90mins but didn’t look tired at all. Some ring rust, some good moments. Boly was immense for them. The VAR decision was harsh all be it correct. A point is better than none. Take the positives and move on to Chelsea. Hopefully we can repeat our last result there next Sunday 

Very boring match today and reminded me of the first half of last season.

My first thoughts as the 2nd half wore on are does Brendan actually have a plan B?

Wolves came with a game plan and he didnt change anything to break them down. We wont get top 10 let alone top 6 playing like that. The pointless side ways triangles are a waste of time and so boring and frustrating to watch.

Our set pieces are atrocious, maddison either smashes it across the box as hard as he can or its a limp effort.

A decent team would have smashed us on the break, the high line Evans and Soyuncu (who did bloody well and it was great seeing him getting applauded) were playing was like russian roulette.

Perez looked nervous and i failed to see what if anything he achieved today......time will tell.

Vardy completely isolated leaving us completely toothless up front.

• Thanks 1

Not the game I was expecting at all. 

I thought it would be two exciting teams going toe to toe.  I was surprised by how unambitious Wolves were and by how blunt our attack was.  Wolves were affected by their midweek travels imo and we didn't have the quality to take advantage and get past the parked bus.

We have so many players that can make the difference and unpick a massed defence - Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison, Perez - in theory.  I am hoping that we were simply misfiring in attack today.  

Wolves can feel a bit disappointed as they had the better chances and a goal ruled out which was technically the right decision but soft.

We can feel a bit disappointed as Wolves were there for the taking and we weren't able to make our possession count.

I think we might see a better performance against Chelsea.  :fc:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Very boring match today and reminded me of the first half of last season.

My first thoughts as the 2nd half wore on are does Brendan actually have a plan B?

Wolves came with a game plan and he didnt change anything to break them down. We wont get top 10 let alone top 6 playing like that. The pointless side ways triangles are a waste of time and so boring and frustrating to watch.

Our set pieces are atrocious, maddison either smashes it across the box as hard as he can or its a limp effort.

A decent team would have smashed us on the break, the high line Evans and Soyuncu (who did bloody well and it was great seeing him getting applauded) were playing was like russian roulette.

Perez looked nervous and i failed to see what if anything he achieved today......time will tell.

Vardy completely isolated leaving us completely toothless up front.

Spot on. 

It was so good I feel asleep listening to it on the radio, haven't done that in long time when the foxes have been playing. To be fair i think it was case of both teams showing each other respecting and not risking too much. Neither wanted to start the season with a defeat, both teams went with the mentality to not lose. Can imagine both managers are happy though. 

Lot of hammering over the weekend and Leicester and Wolves made sure they weren't the victims of that themselves.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

Understand some of the frustration, but early season rustiness was clearly evident in our play today. Their match sharpness (it was their fourth competitive game) more than compensated for any tiredness after their long trip to Armenia. A point on the board against a quality opponent that primarily came to defend, amounts to a solid start on which to build. Exciting times ahead for this talented, young team. And our young owner/chairman ain't going anywhere soon! What a great time to be a City fan!

31 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Good result overall against a team that came to spoil ...   Caglar or Ricardo MOTM ...  as for fookin Chilwell...   one of his worst performances.   What Brendan said he wanted that we didn’t get (see below) ...    were spookily the things that may have unlocked this match and changed the result.   Don’t get me wrong, I really rate Caglar and cheered him to the roof today but he’s still a fair way off the finished article and shouldn’t be the only option we have ...   bringing the ball out with a good finishing pass and height at corners would really really help us.    Overall though I’m a happy bunny ...   :)

55B57F60-F612-4943-8647-D0E0E0541DF7.jpeg

Neither Aké nor Tarkowski are renowned for defense splitting passing or huge aerial prescence tbh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

Loved how Wolves fans were going "Whoaaaaaaah" leading up to the VAR result lmao

Didn't blame though, even though it was taking much longer than it should have I couldn't see anything but goal coming up on that screen. Very funny.

First game of the season so we weren’t fully at it. We bossed the game for most part (70% possession 😮) Tielemans was v good, Ricardo v good & Soyuncu held up, N’didi quality too. This was against a team already in their stride from europa. Some poor performances as well, Chilwell & Maddison’s deliveries were v poor. Think a fully integrated Praet instead of Choudhary and we’d have won that by a couple 👍