Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves Post Match 0-0

56 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

We not got anyone else to take corners? 

I've been saying this since Maddison joined! He's a great player but his corners leave a lot to be desired. We never look dangerous from them, rarely even winning the first header, let alone scoring from them, despite having someone as aerially dominant as Maguire last season. In fact, going back to last season I reckon we've had several hundred since last scoring off one. I'd like to give Tielemans a turn on them as he can whip in a decent cross.

Was a very dull game, not helped by Wolves' negative tactics. Pretty much had 8 behind the ball for the whole match. At least we didn't lose.

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Other than that it was a very mediocre game, I'm struggling to understand the continuation of 4-3-3 or the diamond whatever the formation with essentially 2 DCM's and very little width. Maddison out wide just doesn't work, he had a very poor game today as did Chilwell. The left hand side was devoid of anything until Barnes came on who incidentally did more in the last 30 mins than any of our attacking midfielders or forwards. I hope he gets the start next week but as we've gone that defensive at home to Wolves, I doubt we will mix it up top away at Chelsea. Maybe we could compromise and have Barnes in over Maddison? 

Yep I echo these thoughts. It was 433 throughout the big surprise being Hamza over Albrighton and Maddison as part of the front 3. Hamza was solid but was not playing a high press so we sacrificed attacking intent for control. We got the control but couldn’t make anything happen. Like you I feel that Maddison as part of the front 3 offers very little. As soon as he played next to Tielemans we looked more creative especially with Barnes but I would say that this also led to more chances on the break for Wolves. So that means there is a balancing act to deal with. 

All of this is even more frustrating when we didn’t sign another wide man. Perez was lacklustre today and didn’t cause much damage from the wings. Maybe this is because we will change our structure once Praet is fit. 

Anyway it’s only game 1 and Wolves have had more competitive matches than us. We kept a clean sheet and controlled the game. These are good foundations for the team to build upon. 

I would say though that based on that, neither Wolves nor Leicester can think about breaking the top 6. The game overall was devoid of quality. But of course it’s just one game. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

In general I'm disappointed! We had no spark going forward! Quite a lot of slack passes and need to work on getting the ball into the box with a quality ball as were never going to score! But on a positive note a few good performances and room for improvement! We didn't lose which is better then previous seasons!

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Rule change this year.

From the BBC website:

_108277897_premier_leaguetweet.jpg.471e77a82e5ca88b2220f4e13983ccdd.jpg

Okay so here's the thing that im not sure about, so im looking for someone with a bit more of an understanding. Their goal was rightly ruled out under this new rule as it directly led to the goal.

Their players were fuming when in a later play around the half way line the ball struck Perez's arm and the ref said play on. We went on a break and won a corner.  

Now at the time I was sat there wondering, if we score on this break, will VAR go all the way back to the start of the attack and rule it out.. because technically the handball led to a goal? If so, the refs need to rule just about everything as a foul in the moment. 

Edited by Lambert09

Just now, Lambert09 said:

Okay so here's the thing that im not sure about, so im looking for someone with a bit more of an understanding. Their goal was rightly ruled out under this new rule as it directly led to the goal. Their players were fuming when in a later play around the half way line the ball struck Perez's arm and the ref said play on. We went on a break and won a corner.  

Now at the time I was sat there wondering, if we score on this break will VAR go all the way back to the start of the attack and rule it out.. because technically the handball led to a goal? If so, the refs need to rule just about everything as a foul in the moment. 

Needs to result more directly in a goal than that I think

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

Okay so here's the thing that im not sure about, so im looking for someone with a bit more of an understanding. Their goal was rightly ruled out under this new rule as it directly led to the goal. Their players were fuming when in a later play around the half way line the ball struck Perez's arm and the ref said play on. We went on a break and won a corner.  

Now at the time I was sat there wondering, if we score on this break will VAR go all the way back to the start of the attack and rule it out.. because technically the handball led to a goal? If so, the refs need to rule just about everything as a foul in the moment.

Had the same thought as that attack was developing. 

Would have to assume it would have been ruled out. 

All considered, happy with that. We weren't at our best.

First half was one of the most forgettable ones we've had for a while. After they had their little spell to begin the second half, they never looked like scoring and there was only one team in it. Luckily Jota looks like he has forgotten how to shoot over the summer. 

First game of the season is always a bit of a nervy affair. I'd have taken a point before the game. Not because I think Wolves are somehow better than us – they're definitely not – but it's the first game and we don't exactly have a great record with openers. 

Also, let's be honest. We got away with one with that VAR decision. I get that the rules state that any handball in the run up to a goal must void the goal, but even with my blue  glasses on, I have sympathy with Wolves on that one. Having said that, we're bound to suffer a similar decision at some point during the season, so let's just take it.

Lots of positives, Söyüncü being the main one. Evans looks comfortable next to him too, much more so than when he plays with Wes. I think we've found our first choice central pair. 

Also happy with Ndidi. Seems that he has further matured. Could be something to do with Rodgers and his coaching team? 

Really, really looking forward to this season. Bring on Chelsea!

Different season, same Leicester unable to break sides down. We were far to slow in build up which made it easy for wolves to defend against. We seemed to try and walk the ball in at times. Overall its not a bad result, Caglar looked solid enough and will only improve in time. I'd expect praet to come in for Choudary for more creativity in games like this. 

27 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

our fans don't deal well with long-term plans.

everything has to be RIGHT NOW otherwise we've not made any progress.

middle-ground doesn't exist for some. 

Don’t think that’s ring fenced to just our fans, that’s just a representation of society in general at the minute I think 

• Like 2

Guest Cujek

Not good enough today, much better with Barnes and Albrighton on. 

2 defensive midfielders is not the way to play, I am assuming that Choudrey wil be replaced by Praet if that formation is used again

16 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I actually think you'd benefit from a similar formation to what we played last season - 3-4-3 with two inside forwards playing just behind the main striker. 

Schmeichel 

Soyuncu - Evans - Benkovic

Ricardo - Choudry - Tielemans - Chilwell

Perez          -        Maddison 

Vardy

Wolves fan suggests leaving our MotM  WilfN.JPG.650860d2704ddc75bd6d5b6f069d9dbb.JPG  out of the side for the rematch  ,,, shocking  lol

8 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Please don't try and make out we came and parked the bus and played long balls all game, you're better than that.

We played a few balls over the top for all of 10 mins at the start of the 2nd half because you started off playing a really high line, and we ripped you apart for that spell and should have scored. The rest of the game was our usual counter formation. 

Is this Chris Sutton.....?

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Okay so here's the thing that im not sure about, so im looking for someone with a bit more of an understanding. Their goal was rightly ruled out under this new rule as it directly led to the goal.

Their players were fuming when in a later play around the half way line the ball struck Perez's arm and the ref said play on. We went on a break and won a corner.  

Now at the time I was sat there wondering, if we score on this break, will VAR go all the way back to the start of the attack and rule it out.. because technically the handball led to a goal? If so, the refs need to rule just about everything as a foul in the moment

Said exactly the same thing and just mentioned it in the VAR thread. I have no doubt that they would have come back to that if we had scored.

My issue with that is that we won a corner from the resulting attack. If we had scored from the corner the goal would have stood, even though if we had scored and not won the corner it would have been disallowed 

Put out a side out to negate wolves and for a large part of the game negated ourselves. 

No real physical presence at corners which is going to require a lot of work or a total rethink.

We got a point. :rolleyes: