Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

Still trying to get my head around the fact that the VAR didn’t overturn the Ndidi penalty in the west ham match.

Not "clear and obvious" but I don't like that. Get the ref to look at it again on pitchside, he made a call in normal speed, let him see it in slow motion and decide. If they still give it, then at least they checked and can take blame. Although I would assume referees might struggle to admit they were wrong.

19 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

There are many issues with VAR, but one thing that needs to be cleared up quickly is for everyone to understand if VAR is being consulted or not for a decision.

I think back to Barnes goal v West Ham last Wed. Commentators kept saying it looked offside this should go to VAR...so it was difficult to celebrate the goal. Later I heard the LCFC podcast and Stringer kept saying "I think it's offside, I think it won't count"

The commentator seem to suggest the goal was given only when West Ham had resumed play from the centre spot. Was VAR actually used for that goal? Was there any indication in the stadium that VAR was being used. I can't see any refrence to VAR in the highlights.

Nothing came up on the screens but as they review all goals it would have been reviewed no doubt.

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Does anyone seriously believe it has done what it was supposed to?

How many clear errors has it made...eg missed.

It has NOT removed errors.

It HAS  fvcked the game by removing the spontaneity.

It's not there to 'remove' errors. It's there to correct them. 

The only way you remove errors or get close to totally doing so is improving the standard of referees or training for them so that VAR is relied on less. 

Too many people are expecting VAR to referee the game ..... it’s not there for that.  It has intervened too many times in awarding a pen when it shouldn’t imo.  The expectancy should be that unless it’s a cast iron 100% miss by the ref, it won’t be awarded by VAR and at on the other side of the coin, unless there is no contact whatsoever, it won’t be rescinded either  .....

that’s in respect of pens ...... away from pens, VAR can only get involved after a goal has been scored, an award of a yellow which should be upgraded to a red, a missed red completely or mistaken identity. 

Far too much Autopsying an offside spending far too much trigonometry to find a pubic hair being offside !!

Great for some clubs crap for others Refs need to be made to use the pitch side monitors instead of just leaving it to a biased at times Tw@ at Stockley Park to give hilarious decisions of dodgy penalties ala wilf against West Ham or Mane every Liverpool game!

If used correctly and unbiased could be an amazing tool to cut out the constant cheating we see nearly every game ?

Edited by justfoxes

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's not there to 'remove' errors. It's there to correct them. 

The only way you remove errors or get close to totally doing so is improving the standard of referees or training for them so that VAR is relied on less. 

we can talk semantics, it is trying to remove them from the final result, nevertheless, it has failed to correct them...reading this thread and every match thread shows errors and obvious incorrect decisions ate being missed/ignored.

Goal line tech is great... adding multiple opinions to refereeing is not.

The game has been changed for the worse for supporters and players just so gamblers and business people are being looked after.

Edited by ozleicester

I think they’re so fascinated now by trying not to slow things down that they’re missing things they shouldn’t be. How can they look at the handball and say that isn’t a pen... also with Soyuncus studs up challenge they didn’t spend any time looking at that at all, ref restarted play almost instantly when you could argue that was a case for a red.

Bin VAR and bin Mike Riley, his bunch of clowns are hopeless. No consistency at all, every game it’s a lottery as to what you’re going to get.

• Like 1

makes you wonder what they are doing tbh, how they missed a handball like that is beyond me,

i imagine if it was a Liverpool or Chelsea they might have got it

you'd think with VAR they would be more consistency but its clear to see its just making it more inconsistent with decisions 

• Thanks 1

The whole point of VAR is for incidents like tonight’s ....

not for half cm offside calls ..... that’s the downside of the whole thing but the award of a pen when the ref has missed an obvious call is supposed to make the thing worthwhile ....

the putting right of wrongs 

I guarantee that dean would have given that if he goes to the screen ..... he won’t be shy about telling Riley that he has been hung out to dry by that call.  I expect some ramifications from tonight’s nonsense but we are the sufferers of the injustice ......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The whole point of VAR is for incidents like tonight’s ....

not for half cm offside calls ..... that’s the downside of the whole thing but the award of a pen when the ref has missed an obvious call is supposed to make the thing worthwhile ....

the putting right of wrongs 

I guarantee that dean would have given that if he goes to the screen ..... he won’t be shy about telling Riley that he has been hung out to dry by that call.  I expect some ramifications from tonight’s nonsense but we are the sufferers of the injustice ......

more importantly, he wouldve given it if there was NO VAR.

Referees are scared and now irrelevant.