Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

23 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

How we don't even feature at all in this Top 10 I'll never know.

Interesting which ones they've gone for:

1 - Man City vs Spurs - Gabriel Jesus goal ruled out due to handball by Laporte in the build-up. What's controversial about that? Quite clear what the rule is for attacking plays. If that's the case then Boly vs us on first day of the season should feature :unsure:

2 - Spurs vs Watford - Deulofeu tripped by Vertonghen. Should have been a penalty. Fair call - that's controversial not to have given it.

3 - Man Utd vs Liverpool - Rashford scores but potential foul on OrigiBr a short time earlier. Controversial indeed that a foul (in my eyes) wasn't given.

4 - Brighton vs Everton - Connolly tripped by Keane. I seem to remember there was a lot of fume from Everton fans understandably but Connolly gets impeded. Keane may not have intended it but he still fouled the player? I don't see how this is that controversial.

5 - Arsenal vs Crystal Palace - Sokratis goal disallowed by VAR. This is quite controversial to be fair. I can't see the foul either way. 

6 - Aston Villa vs Liverpool - Firmino scores but adjuged to be offside. The 'armpit' offside. Controversial as it's so minimal that he's offside. 

7 - Spurs vs Sheff Utd - Sheff Utd player offside in the build-up. Part of his foot was offside. Not that controversial in my opinion.

8 - Liverpool vs Man City - Alexander-Arnold handballs in the build-up. Potentially the most controversial of all as Liverpool score from it. Alexander-Arnold's arm clearly in an unnatural position yet not adjudged to be handball. 

9 - Liverpool vs Wolves - Neto goal disallowed by VAR as a team-mate was offside in the build-up. Again, it's marginal. But he is offside.

10 - Man Utd vs Liverpool - Firmino scores but VAR disallows it as De Gea is fouled by Van Dijk in the build-up. Not sure what the controversy is here.

My conclusion is that they're only included in the top 10 as 90% of them include 'top 6' sides.

Some of them aren't even controversial anyway.

8 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51375410

"A poll last month of 1,396 adults who regularly watch Premier League football found that 67% felt matches were now less enjoyable since the introduction of VAR."

What??? 

33% of those polled did NOT think matches were now less enjoyable.

There are times when I despair of humanity.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Depends what they mean by  "who regularly watch Premier League football"  probably not bother if they're watching on the TV even less so if it's not the team they support.

Considering the amount of people that regularly watch PL football, 1400 people is still a tiny sample as well.

4 hours ago, oxford blue said:

It's different though for fans in the stadium who don't see all the replays you see watching it at home. I don't understand why the VAR pictures are not displayed in the stadium as they are being reviewed. 

Totally agree. It's very odd when City score & the only way you can celebrate properly is if it flies in from 30 yards ! Anything other, you never really know. TV games are possibly more intriguing ( unless it's us on tv, of course ! ). There's so much that needs tweaking to get it working better & quicker. 

1 hour ago, TonyN11 said:

Just how far could VAR go back? 54 secs, 54 mins, 54 days, 54 years?

No Geoff, it's a goal kick to West Germany …. it stays at 2-2. 

at least it would be the correct decision. And would stop West Ham fans banging on about "winning the World Cup" for the next 50 years!

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently to when the defence were able to reset ......, whatever that means ....

I think its absolute bulls!t that if you concede a corner/free kick which shouldn't have been and they score, the goal isn't ruled out. Ridiculous that a wrong decision can lead to a goal.

Went to the Dortmund game at the weekend... the refereeing was so much better and the use of VAR was too. Took 30secs max to award a penalty. It was a pretty obvious decision but it seemed they didn’t look too much into it, must have been 2 or 3 replays and they’d made their decision (based on the time it took). 

1 hour ago, wattolcfc said:

I think its absolute bulls!t that if you concede a corner/free kick which shouldn't have been and they score, the goal isn't ruled out. Ridiculous that a wrong decision can lead to a goal.

Its one part of VAR i agree with !      you cant be re referring every decision that turns out to be vital in retrospect…….  the game will potentially last forever !  you'll have to micromanage every corner in case it isn't in the same way that attacking handballs have to be checked when a goal is scored …..nightmare.  

rugby are pretty hot on technology and lauded for it but if the ref awards an incorrect knock on and then a try results from that set scrum, they don't go back and recheck the knock on and change the decision.   they can go back several phases in the play which does lead to a try (which football doesn't) but once there is a stoppage and the ball is dead then they wont go back beyond that. 

Richard Masters, the chief executive of PL is committed to a review of how the system is working (at the end of season)) to improve the system. My top 5: 

• VAR replays to be shown in stadium
  • More margin for offside decisions (as 'armpit decisions' cannot be totally accurate as the flm does not have sufficient frames per second)
  • Referee's call if it is not clear and obvious. 
  • if a decision takes longer than a minute it is not clear and obvious
  • Consistency amongst VAR's - this should be easier than for a ref making an instant decision, as is evident for penalty handball's. All VAR's should discuss every week (they ought to that now, but I presume they don't given inconsistencies).

1 hour ago, wattolcfc said:

Ironic as this is what VAR is in place for to avoid especially when it comes to offsides etc yet people still aren't satisfied. 

On 11/08/2019 at 08:42, Deucalion said:

Think back to all the times either Leicester or England have had the outcome of a game ruined due to a bad decision. 

Maradona's Hand of God

David Speedie at Wembley

And I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I know there are many, many more.

Could England have won the World Cup in 1986?  Could Leicester have been founder members of the Premier League?

if VAR means an short, uncomfortable wait, while an issue is resolved, then surely it has to be worth it to ensure outcomes are fair?

No, not the way it is set up now. Give the managers each 2 challenges, limit VAR to a 30 second decision to notify Ref he should look at that on the pitch side monitor otherwise refs initial decision rules.

55 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Southampton robbed again. Can't wait for a team to walk off.

What an incredible state of affairs it'll be if teams won't walk off in protest at racist abuse but will because they don't agree with a refereeing decision

6 hours ago, oxford blue said:

Richard Masters, the chief executive of PL is committed to a review of how the system is working (at the end of season)) to improve the system. My top 5: 

• VAR replays to be shown in stadium
  • More margin for offside decisions (as 'armpit decisions' cannot be totally accurate as the flm does not have sufficient frames per second)
  • Referee's call if it is not clear and obvious. 
  • if a decision takes longer than a minute it is not clear and obvious
  • Consistency amongst VAR's - this should be easier than for a ref making an instant decision, as is evident for penalty handball's. All VAR's should discuss every week (they ought to that now, but I presume they don't given inconsistencies).

The bloke in charge of VAR at IFAB has Effectively said that already this season although he didn’t go as far as putting a time limit on it 

On 03/02/2020 at 19:15, whoareyaaa said:

all we needed was goal line tech and offside tech, the rest should just be officiated by the refs

That's not a bad shout, dealing in absolutes rather than opinion /perspective. 

The offside calls, whilst correct, have prompted a call for a review of the law mind.