Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

25 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I liked it better when we just went with ref's decision and then watched MOTD to see if he was a plonker or not

Me too:ph34r:, at least the game flowed unlike now where the decisions are still seen as contentious due to armpits etc., Christ, they need to have a cold, hard look at the rules come the end of the season or dump it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Me too:ph34r:, at least the game flowed unlike now where the decisions are still seen as contentious due to armpits etc., Christ, they need to have a cold, hard look at the rules come the end of the season or dump it.

The serious side is that we lose the moment of elation.... suppose you had an entertainment business that delivered moments of elation the made people come back for more.. . Why would you throw that away?

The fa the pl and all other football authorities are useless blazers..  this week realising bet365 could steam games I  return for betting .... homophobia means there is not one footballer out of the closet... racism is not being dealt with...

Their desire for knighthoods got southgate appointed...

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

The serious side is that we lose the moment of elation.... suppose you had an entertainment business that delivered moments of elation the made people come back for more.. . Why would you throw that away?

The fa the pl and all other football authorities are useless blazers..  this week realising bet365 could steam games I  return for betting .... homophobia means there is not one footballer out of the closet... racism is not being dealt with...

Completely agree. All very serious issues in football that should be being sorted much more effectively than they are. 

Simply not good enough 

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

That’s the biggest part for me.

Both the players and the fans just can’t rejoice in a goal because we all suspect something is going to scupper it. So much so, I’ve started consciously to NOT celebrate until the opposition have kicked off again

That’s not how football should be surely?

The two big changes I’d make are:

1. Use some sort of ‘clear daylight’ rule for offsides. The current situation is ruling out too many goals on account of mm’s

2. Get our refs using the pitch side monitors

The officials at VAR could just tell the refs that something important has happened and the refs could themselves have a quick gander

Like they do in the rest of Europe....

:please:

Young Foxes Seal First Win Of 2020 In Style
ACADEMY
Published 1 hr 43 mins ago
1 MinuteReading time
Leicester City's Under-18s enjoyed a wonderful 4-1 victory over Reading at Belvoir Drive in the U18 Premier League South division on Saturday.
More on this story...
Young Foxes Seal A Point In Norwich Thriller
Following last weekend's comeback 4-4 draw at Norwich City, the young Foxes remain unbeaten in 2020 and strengthened their sixth-placed standing in the league with a fifth win of the season.

Kian Pennant opened the scoring inside just two minutes at the Club's training ground before older brother Terell doubled City's advantage before the half-hour mark.

A composed penalty from Dempsey Arlott-John, on the other hand, made it 3-0 to Leicester, but Alfie Anderson was able to pull one back for the Royals on the cusp of half-time.

Expand photoLeicester City U18s
Arlott-John sends his penalty into the bottom corner to make it 3-0.

However, the home side's intensity continued in the second period with Kian Pennant adding his second goal of the game to send City's youngsters four points clear of Reading in the table.

The Club's Under-18s side now have a two-week break until they are next in league action when they are due to visit Motspur Park to tackle Fulham on Saturday 25 January (12pm GMT kick-off).

The details...

City: Bosworth (c); Sams (Nelson 80'), Aisthorpe, Barrett, Ewing; Arlott-John, Loughlin, T. Pennant (Flynn 80'), Fitzhugh (McAteer 70'), Leathers; K. Pennant

Subs not used: Weeks, Marcal-Madivadua

Goals: K. Pennant 2', 50', T. Pennant 29', Arlott-John 42' pen

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

That’s the biggest part for me.

Both the players and the fans just can’t rejoice in a goal because we all suspect something is going to scupper it. So much so, I’ve started consciously to NOT celebrate until the opposition have kicked off again

That’s not how football should be surely?

The two big changes I’d make are:

1. Use some sort of ‘clear daylight’ rule for offsides. The current situation is ruling out too many goals on account of mm’s

2. Get our refs using the pitch side monitors

The officials at VAR could just tell the refs that something important has happened and the refs could themselves have a quick gander

Like they do in the rest of Europe....

:please:

Don’t like the pitchside monitors, they take ages and are weirdly archaic “spin it back for me Malcolm, no just show me the bit where he tripped...” 

If it’s clear enough to be overruled, they don’t need the ref to have a look, just tell him he was wrong. If it’s not clear enough to do that, they should let his decision stand...

• Like 1

Was it even used today? Would hate to see them use it less intentionally half-way through a season.

Our goal seemed to come from a foul, how the ref didn't realize seems a clear and obvious error. And then we maybe ought to have had a 2nd penalty from a handball - that sort of hands-on-side, but "leaning-into-it" that we were punished for recently.

15 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Soyunco conceded one similar didn’t he over Christmas? Can’t remember if it was against Liverpool or Manchester City. I’ve tried to erase both from my memory. 

3 hours ago, Jonezy said:

I would like a ref to tell me why that Ben Mee handball is not a pen, when the Caglar one was.

The inconsistency in decisions even with the help of VAR is ridiculous in this league.

Because the ref didn’t give it. for the VAR to change the decision, it has to be a call where 95/100 people would give the same decision which is not what the ref called.  I expect around 70/75% would think thats a pen so the onfield call of no pen isn’t changed. It’s not a ‘clear and obvious’ error not to give it.  We need to get our heads around that the VAR isn’t re referring the game. He is only supposed to change decisions which are unarguably wrong ......there have been some howlers though ...sadly we didn’t get that call today ..... 

4 hours ago, FireFox said:

Was it even used today? Would hate to see them use it less intentionally half-way through a season.

Our goal seemed to come from a foul, how the ref didn't realize seems a clear and obvious error. And then we maybe ought to have had a 2nd penalty from a handball - that sort of hands-on-side, but "leaning-into-it" that we were punished for recently.

Yeah it was used to check the penalty we was awarded to make sure it was a foul why it took nearly 2 mins to work that out as the tv viewing public could see it was a foul after 1 replay 

39 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Yeah it was used to check the penalty we was awarded to make sure it was a foul why it took nearly 2 mins to work that out as the tv viewing public could see it was a foul after 1 replay 

I think they were checking a possible offside in the build up though can’t work out why that took so long either.  it’s not particularly fair on the taker to be held up .....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Heard it all now. Goalkeepers being way off their line in penalties isn't a big enough issue for VAR. The officials apparently should be calling it rather than the VAR official. 

Probably because forensic application of var on this law would result in every penalty save being a retake ......  it’s almost impossible for a keeper to stay inside the law ....... Henderson the other night was inexcusable and I suspect you won’t see another one like that missed again this season ......

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Probably because forensic application of var on this law would result in every penalty save being a retake ......  it’s almost impossible for a keeper to stay inside the law ....... Henderson the other night was inexcusable and I suspect you won’t see another one like that missed again this season ......

See that's a proper reason and accurate, rather than the shit we get told. Linesman need to keep an eye on it 

I know a lot of time as passed since we played Saints at home and all the VAR decisions were proved correct. However....

I spoke to my Uncle this week who with Saints reduced allocation got to take his grandkids for the first time. He mentioned how VAR completely bamboozled the kids, who were confused that the score was 2-1 and it completely deflated them. 

Basically sticking the joy out of football. Disallowed goals happened before but not with such a delay/goal celebration/celebration music etc

A thread that should put to bed the argument that VAR needs a 'bedding in period' to be successful. In it's current form it is not fit for purpose. 

It ruins celebrations and has led to genuine boredom when waiting for a penalty/goal to be 'confirmed'. Until the technology can slip in as seamlessly as goal line technology we should not have to 'deal' with the problems.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Can we have another poll, now that VAR has been in long enough for us to have a better view on it.

(and as most of us voted in the poll, before we really knew what VAR was all about)

I'd be amazed if the breakdown remained: Love it 19%, hate it 31%, indifferent 50%

I am certainly not against it, I think it tries to make the game fairer but has a lot of improvement points (and it points out bad rules of the game). However, I cannot understand why anyone would seriously say 'I love it'.

There are many issues with VAR, but one thing that needs to be cleared up quickly is for everyone to understand if VAR is being consulted or not for a decision.

I think back to Barnes goal v West Ham last Wed. Commentators kept saying it looked offside this should go to VAR...so it was difficult to celebrate the goal. Later I heard the LCFC podcast and Stringer kept saying "I think it's offside, I think it won't count"

The commentator seem to suggest the goal was given only when West Ham had resumed play from the centre spot. Was VAR actually used for that goal? Was there any indication in the stadium that VAR was being used. I can't see any refrence to VAR in the highlights.