Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

I have no idea why possible penalties go to VAR. They aren't overturning the on-field decisions are they? Watching MOTD there have been several penalties that should have been given by VAR - but they are clearly under instructions not to go against the ref. So why are they wasting everybody's time?

For the first time this year, Ive just watched a highlights show from the EFL Championship.

I am amazed at how my viewing has changed... each goal i have subconsciously looked around/waited to see, the out come of the VAR...same with close calls for offside.

My entire viewing of the game has changed, imagine anyone young who begins watching from now on, will never experience the game the way we did. :(

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

I have no idea why possible penalties go to VAR. They aren't overturning the on-field decisions are they? Watching MOTD there have been several penalties that should have been given by VAR - but they are clearly under instructions not to go against the ref. So why are they wasting everybody's time?

They did for a whille but do seem pretty reluctant generally.

the thing with it all VAR...the ref's etc, some of them havent got the balls to admit they are wrong, the pitch side monitors are a waste of time have been used less than 5 times im guessing this season in the league, when if they would have been used more more decisions would have been changed and probably more so for the nearer correct decision

atm with VAR, the rules seem to change from week to week going by what i can see, neither support, ref or VAR officials seem to have a clue whats happening or going on half the time, 

all thats happened with VAR is decisions seem to be getting more inconsistent when in theory they should be more consistent

There should be a clarification message displayed to the fans in the stadium and the TV viewers to explain why a decision is or is not given.

For example the one yesterday, it can be shown on the big screen with a message - "accidental handball and hand is in a natural position."  This can then be done for all types of decision.   A nice clear message so we all know what is going on and how they have decided it.

It's ridiculous that in the stadium we have no idea what is going on, what is being checked and why a decision is made.  A meaningless announcement over the speakers and the odd split second clip on the big screen is not good enough.

Frustrating.

Edited by Guppy Assist

The main problem with VAR is the rules don't compliment it. 

One of the main issues with VAR this year has been offside but currently the rules say that if any part of your body that can be used to score a goal is offside (even marginally) then your offside but people blame VAR when it picks up on someone's pubes being offside. 

Hand balls too. There are so many different rules that can be interpreted in different ways.  Ball to hand, unintentional, hand not in a natural position etc. There is always going to be inconsistencies when there are so many variations of the rules. 

Another issue is the term "clear and obvious". All that phrase does is put into question when VAR can be used and when it can't. It just confuses the situation. Why does it have to be clear and obvious? If VAR picks up on something the ref got wrong then correct it. Simple, don't over complicate it. 

The rules need to be amended for the use of VAR in order for it to work efficiently. To be honest, they should have been simplified a long time ago to install some consistency into referee performances. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Having just watched that ( Spurs v Man City ) VAR is quite enjoyable, almost likeable when it doesn’t involve the team you love. I’m probably a closet sadist ! 

This is probably the crux of it to be honest. Most football fans struggle to be objective about these things. VAR generally gets the decisions correct of the ones it reviews, but the time lag, particuarly in the stadium is very disruptive to the "experience". 

At the same time, you get people chanting anti VAR stuff when it's not in our favour and then chanting for it's intervention when they think it might go our way, People can't have it both ways!

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

all we needed was goal line tech and offside tech, the rest should just be officiated by the refs

This makes sense as these decisions rely on verifying views along lines. The other aspects involve a degree of interpretation and judgement, so if additional help is to be given to refs for these it should be in the form of pitch-side monitors which present views from different angles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

This makes sense as these decisions rely on verifying views along lines. The other aspects involve a degree of interpretation and judgement, so if additional help is to be given to refs for these it should be in the form of pitch-side monitors which present views from different angles.

Furthermore, the FA should instruct there to be no hesitation when decisions should be overturned, and no blaming of the referees.

• Thanks 1

I previously was quite open to VAR and willing to forgive any teething problems, but recent mistakes have made it abundantly clear to me that the technology isn't ready for use, or the officiating and implementation is incredibly bad... I'm inclined to think it's the latter as it doesn't appear to get these headlines overseas.

Would like for a club to make an official challenge, similar to our situation against Villa and the handball... their clarification on the point was an absolute farce, trying to claim the player didn't have a chance to move his arm? He moved his head out of the way quick enough. I'm also confused on the rules, as had that contact been made and it went into the back of the net, then surely the goal would have been ruled out?!

I am happy to wait if it results in the correct decision, but given it's not even doing that, then what is the point? It's a total time waste and a complete shambles, rather they bin it and we go back to referee errors.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

So we've been pretty 'badly' hit by VAR, amusing considering number of other fans you see suggest we've had fortunate officiating 

-5 nett goals ??

wilf v spurs  was a var disallow  = -1

jonny v soton was a var disallow = -1

kel v everton was a var over turn = +1

where are the 4 ????  all the others were flagged by the lino

and this doesn't include opponents goals ruled out by var ….wolves, burnley, spurs,  soton pen …..

On 02/02/2020 at 17:16, STEVIE B said:

Having just watched that ( Spurs v Man City ) VAR is quite enjoyable, almost likeable when it doesn’t involve the team you love. I’m probably a closet sadist ! 

It's different though for fans in the stadium who don't see all the replays you see watching it at home. I don't understand why the VAR pictures are not displayed in the stadium as they are being reviewed. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

-5 nett goals ??

wilf v spurs  was a var disallow  = -1

jonny v soton was a var disallow = -1

kel v everton was a var over turn = +1

where are the 4 ????  all the others were flagged by the lino

and this doesn't include opponents goals ruled out by var ….wolves, burnley, spurs,  soton pen …..

Was that not flagged offside anyway? VAR confirming the offside...

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Was that not flagged offside anyway? VAR confirming the offside...

no it wasn't flagged 

i'm struggling to get to -5  ….. just remembered chilwell pen v everton (assume cancelled pens must count as a lost goal). maybe they also counted madisson's follow up of vards pen at brighton ?  if those two count then we are missing two but given that there are four benefits below, it seems pretty neutral for us ??

we've benefitted from wolves, spurs, burnley and soton pen

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51375410

"A poll last month of 1,396 adults who regularly watch Premier League football found that 67% felt matches were now less enjoyable since the introduction of VAR."

What??? 

33% of those polled did NOT think matches were now less enjoyable.

There are times when I despair of humanity.

Depends what they mean by  "who regularly watch Premier League football"  probably not bother if they're watching on the TV even less so if it's not the team they support.