Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that many others have, which is that if the administration behind VAR is poor, then it won't work well. 

In other words, garbage in garbage out. 

But that isnt quite true...

Its..unknown equation in,  Garbage out...

Due to trying to manipulate ( in my View corruptively).  the word human perspective into that equation.

Instead of the simple View of the eyes Plus für support  technology....did it,or did it not..!!  Was it,was it not...

There should Not be any Phase or thought,where opinion comes into it....

Then you can,Build on und Not around the regulations....ie..off-side is Not toe ,hip,or armpit,..but either a Full half-body(torso), or daylight between players.

Any handball,where hand/arm is in Movement  unnecessary or unnatural to that given movement..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I honestly thought that was one of VAR's better decisions. The guy gained an advantage from an office position, in what in real time was a difficult one to spot

What advantage did he gain? lol He was going away from goal, the ball was passed backwards. In fact the more offside he was the less of an advantage it was!

Paul Ince utterly clueless on BT. "It has to be clear and obvious". It was- it was offside. It is black and white, factual, definite, whatever you want. Clear and obvious would be used on the Choudhury red card or if the Maddison thing in the box was given- offside is offside, however tight.

Change the offside law if it is that bad, or go back to no video technology and taking the rough with the smooth.

• Like 1

He was offside, thems the rules. Problem is you have a professional linesman stood 5 meters away who doesn't spot it, then we spend 3 minutes of is it, is it not(?)

If there is a unanimous opinion that some calls are too tight and 'against the spirit of the game' or whatever make the line thicker and add a gray area in favour of the attacking team.

• Like 1

I'm sick of these ex pros saying its ruining the game, it's not what we want to see! The offside rule was changed so that VAR can make the 100% correct decision every time, and it has! If your 1cm off side, your off side. No more stupid judgement calls that usually favour bigger teams. It's the only fair, yes it's not what we've been used to our whole lives but this is the new reality! It's not ruining the game, it's just making it fair for all!

The dogey penalty decisions on the other hand in conjunction with the use of VAR is making the officials look stupid! If it's a 50/50 peno and they give it, they uphold it. If its 50/50 and they don't give it they uphold it! Clear and obvious error is the biggest cop out ever!

If I'm honest, if the goal had been given it wouldn't have bothered me too much, it's not a massive thing.

But, if you're going to bring in the technology to get the right decision, use it. However annoying or sapping the offsides might be, they've at least been consistent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaspa said:

He was offside, thems the rules. Problem is you have a professional linesman stood 5 meters away who doesn't spot it, then we spend 3 minutes of is it, is it not(?)

If there is a unanimous opinion that some calls are too tight and 'against the spirit of the game' or whatever make the line thicker and add a gray area in favour of the attacking team.

Oh come on as if the linesman is suppose to spot that, I was sat squinting at the still of the image for about 30 seconds trying to work out what was going on. 

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Oh come on as if the linesman is suppose to spot that, I was sat squinting at the still of the image for about 30 seconds trying to work out what was going on. 

It’s actually a great spot from VAR. I’m completely against the way VAR is implemented for offside but it’s a tough one to spot with the ball going backwards and how close it is.

4 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Agree. In this case, had there been a thicker line, he'd still have been offside. A good 20cm offside. It wasn't millimetres

• Like 2