Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

you cant have the ball going dead and then play restarting with a potential reversal thereafter for something that has already happened ??  once the ball has gone dead, then nothing will be looked at from before that point after a restart. they are only supposed to check back to when the defence has been able to reset itself - the ball going dead is that opportunity. 

Sure we don’t but why not?

An error is an error and if it leads to a goal then that is simply wrong.

Anyway just my belief although based on current VAR decision I wouldn’t use it for any subjective stuff as it’s not resolving issues it’s just taking longer.

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

Sure we don’t but why not?

An error is an error and if it leads to a goal then that is simply wrong.

Anyway just my belief although based on current VAR decision I wouldn’t use it for any subjective stuff as it’s not resolving issues it’s just taking longer.

i get your general point but then we are reviewing all clear and obvious errors in the lead up to goals, including the ball going dead - i just think that makes it even more of a farce than it already is. yesterdays corner was clear - imagine its a ricochet situation that's tough to work out - we'll be spending ages poring over replays and that's after the corner has been taken and scored from …that just cant be allowed to happen 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i get your general point but then we are reviewing all clear and obvious errors in the lead up to goals, including the ball going dead - i just think that makes it even more of a farce than it already is. yesterdays corner was clear - imagine its a ricochet situation that's tough to work out - we'll be spending ages poring over replays and that's after the corner has been taken and scored from …that just cant be allowed to happen 

Aye you’re probably right the whole thing is just so frustrating and fundamentally unfair, time consuming and enjoyment killing I really don’t see any advantage unless we go full on with it technically.

Guest Cujek

I am done with Football until VAR is gone.

it is no longer fun or enjoyable.

you score a goal and the cvnts in some room 150 miles away decides whether some cvnts testicle is a mm offside or not.

at least when we just had ref's they was just incompetent and we could shout w*nker at them from the stands, now all they do is wait around for the VAR decision, i actually see no point in linesmen or ref's now.

In the situation of a team defending and the ball striking an arm accidentally resulting in no penalty and the ball ricochets into a position for the offending player to counter attack, no other player touches the ball and he scores. Does it get pulled back for handball or goal given? 

Or am I simply overthinking it? 

Just now, browniefox said:

In the situation of a team defending and the ball striking an arm accidentally resulting in no penalty and the ball ricochets into a position for the offending player to counter attack, no other player touches the ball and he scores. Does it get pulled back for handball or goal given? 

It would be pulled back if it’s Leicester

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, browniefox said:

An accidental handball 75 yards away from goal wouldn’t be considered to have led directly to a goal scored so far away .....

well it shouldn’t .......

11 hours ago, Cujek said:

I am done with Football until VAR is gone.

it is no longer fun or enjoyable.

you score a goal and the cvnts in some room 150 miles away decides whether some cvnts testicle is a mm offside or not.

at least when we just had ref's they was just incompetent and we could shout w*nker at them from the stands, now all they do is wait around for the VAR decision, i actually see no point in linesmen or ref's now.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

An accidental handball 75 yards away from goal wouldn’t be considered to have led directly to a goal scored so far away .....

well it shouldn’t .......

That's the thing, it shouldn't but what is the ruling? If it strikes the arm taking it away from a team who have committed the keeper to a corner in the 95th minute and the player is away to score... VAR is taking away the clear rules that we knew, if the whistle blew it was done, now the water is muddied and we have to wait for a decision. If this wait always resulted in the correct decision we wouldn't even be discussing it but it is too reliant on refs looking at it again and again who all come to different decisions and have different standards. 

In my example that started me off, the handball isn't given and the goal standard but now with the handball before a goal ruling I don't know where that goes, goal stands or handball and penalty! One has to be given. 

4 hours ago, browniefox said:

That's the thing, it shouldn't but what is the ruling? If it strikes the arm taking it away from a team who have committed the keeper to a corner in the 95th minute and the player is away to score... VAR is taking away the clear rules that we knew, if the whistle blew it was done, now the water is muddied and we have to wait for a decision. If this wait always resulted in the correct decision we wouldn't even be discussing it but it is too reliant on refs looking at it again and again who all come to different decisions and have different standards. 

In my example that started me off, the handball isn't given and the goal standard but now with the handball before a goal ruling I don't know where that goes, goal stands or handball and penalty! One has to be given. 

It’s absurd isn’t it. Take the handball v villa in the semi for example, the villa player handballs it, if the ball dropped at his feet and he launched it upfield to their striker who went through and scored seconds later the goal is disallowed and play starts with Kasper due to the handball in the build up, yet it isn’t deemed enough of an handball for a penalty. There’s two handball rules for the game it’s ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, browniefox said:

If it hasn't happened yet it will sometime, and it will expose yet another flaw in the deliberate/unintentional attacker/defender handball law.

14 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

The best thing about the win will be people not moaning we never get VAR decisions.

Think it was even tonight- handball was dubious but a clear push on Maddison not given.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Where does the arm end and the shoulder begin? Carragher reckons it hit him on the blue part of his shirt. That's the arm isn't it? The giveaway is that Mings deliberately moved his arm towards the ball. 

Top of the shoulder is where they take the offside from. It's hit him on the side of the shoulder below that which isn't counted as part of the body and therefore it's a handball. Clear as day, don't see how there can be any controversy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Might be biased but if you read the rule book, anything below the actual shoulder joint is considered handball hence handball. 

However I need to ask how he got away with no booking or even a red. If he’s handballed effectively on the penalty spot it’s a yellow. 

Oliver was toilet tonight. Not so much the Grealish stuff. More allowing Villa to consistently foul again without punishment and then slow the game down 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Where does the arm end and the shoulder begin? Carragher reckons it hit him on the blue part of his shirt. That's the arm isn't it? The giveaway is that Mings deliberately moved his arm towards the ball. 

Exactly, he took a risk by making a stupid dive and he was only ever going to handball it, missed his head by a fair way. Haven't seen the replay but I sat with the perfect view, looked very dubious so to me it was always a penalty.

10 hours ago, Corky said:

Think it was even tonight- handball was dubious but a clear push on Maddison not given.

Haven’t seen a replay of it but what annoyed me was the ref kept doing a motion to say Maddison caused the contact by turning back into the player, surely if he has control of the ball he can make any movement he likes  

36 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Haven’t seen a replay of it but what annoyed me was the ref kept doing a motion to say Maddison caused the contact by turning back into the player, surely if he has control of the ball he can make any movement he likes  

Especially irritating as the next time the ball went dead it was for a free kick given to Grealish for exactly the same sort of foul.

On 04/03/2020 at 13:40, Vlad the Fox said:

It’s absurd isn’t it. Take the handball v villa in the semi for example, the villa player handballs it, if the ball dropped at his feet and he launched it upfield to their striker who went through and scored seconds later the goal is disallowed and play starts with Kasper due to the handball in the build up, yet it isn’t deemed enough of an handball for a penalty. There’s two handball rules for the game it’s ridiculous. 

No it doesn’t, Dermot was asked about this on Talkshite and he said that under the laws as they stand it would be a penalty to us.

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

So its not a penalty unless they score, shit, who is making up the rules. It's ****ing crazy!!!

Yep.  He admitted it was a nonsense and waffled on about hoping the referee would find a sensible way round it.

• Like 1