Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

Just a bang average player. Despite being played as a wide forward,  he has no pace or strength, and doesn't really create any chances. I'm really struggling to see how he gets in a team chasing top 4. Sorry to be so negative but I've never been a fan.  If Ünder is not the answer for that right wing spot then we need to look elsewhere because we can't keep playing Perez. 

• Like 4

Echoing others with my thoughts, he's just not good enough. If we have another season where we narrowly miss out on a top 4 place, he'd be one of the key reasons why. The price tag might not be his fault, but for 30m you expect a player that contributes a lot over the course of the season like Tielemans, Ricardo, Maddison, etc. Barnes is everything Perez isn't, fast, strong, electric on the ball, always offering a threat and this season adding end product. Perez has been worse this season than last, which is not a good sign.

I don't think selling him will be an option because Covid will mean most clubs don't have the finances to get him. But he shouldn't be in the team because he does nothing for us offensively. He did make some good tackles today, but we need more than that from him.

• Like 4

In one and a half seasons with us I’d say he’s probably had a really positive impact in not many more than half a dozen matches.

He’s not a bad footballer, just not good enough for a club of our current stature and ambition.

He has had three chances to prove himself as worthy of a regular starting berth in the last three games and has failed them all.

We all want whoever wears that blue shirt to succeed, but when they consistently disappoint - and their substandard performances affect the team’s results - it becomes a problem. Albrighton and Cengiz must be as mystified by Perez’s selection ahead of them as most of us fans are.

It's hard to emphasize how pointless playing him on the right is. He must have played there 30 plus times for us now and hes had what 2 or 3 good games there? Every other game he is always one of our 3 weakest players. If we're not gonna play 2 up front then basically hes cover for maddison until praet returns. He is a waste of a shirt on the right.

38 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Doesn't look after the ball.

It is hindering us when he plays. The ball gets left behind or stuck between his feet too much. We aren't able to sweep forward and drill it around when Perez is involved in the move.

You look at Barnes when the ball was fired in before his goal last week and how he adjusted to get the shot away. Perez doesn't offer that.

I’ve backed him and had full faith in him to turn it on, but clearly it’s not working atm for him. He’s decent ... but doesn’t really seem to create and I think I’m faster with my one knee. He reminds me a little of Firminho without the stoopid teeth or two world class inside forwards playing off him. 

1 minute ago, Corky said:

It is hindering us when he plays. The ball gets left behind or stuck between his feet too much. We aren't able to sweep forward and drill it around when Perez is involved in the move.

You look at Barnes when the ball was fired in before his goal last week and how he adjusted to get the shot away. Perez doesn't offer that.

He has the odd neat bit of footwork and that can help us, but so often he will break our own attack through some basic technical flaws. The others all seem to be able to look after the ball consistently, he frequently gives it away.

I just think he's a level below where we're at really. Newcastle was about his level.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just a bang average player. Despite being played as a wide forward,  he has no pace or strength, and doesn't really create any chances. I'm really struggling to see how he gets in a team chasing top 4. Sorry to be so negative but I've never been a fan.  If Ünder is not the answer for that right wing spot then we need to look elsewhere because we can't keep playing Perez. 

If you look at the wingers today - they had Nevez and Traore. We had Barnes who is great and then Perez - it’s no mystery where we were lacking. A good threat on the right and we’d have been a far stronger proposition today. 

He did ok, 1st half; some neat moments and decent work rate, but his output is significantly less than a genuine top 4 winger can offer.

Perez is a utility forward - we need to strengthen on the right if he is our first choice and it might be an option to play Ricardo further forward when all full-backs are fit!

I don't actually know what Perez's role is? He's not a goal scorer, nor does he create chances. He isn't involved in set pieces, nor can hold the ball up. 

In 48 games for us, he has 9 goals (which includes a hat trick in that 9-0 at Soton) and 5 assists. 

For context, in the same timeframe, Jonny Evans has 3 assists.

What does he actually do?

• Like 3

Just now, HitchinFox said:

I don't actually know what Perez's role is? He's not a goal scorer, nor does he create chances. He isn't involved in set pieces, nor can hold the ball up. 

In 48 games for us, he has 9 goals (which includes a hat trick in that 9-0 at Soton) and 5 assists. 

Aside from having a Brendan Rodgers work ethic? Nothing I can think of. 

• Like 1

Just now, HitchinFox said:

I find myself saying this all the time! 

It baffles me that with all the post match analysis that goes on and reviews of performances he still manages to get in and around the starting 11 week in and week out. 

I can't really see what he offers other than some good movement off the ball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lee7 said:

I find myself saying this all the time! 

It baffles me that with all the post match analysis that goes on and reviews of performances he still manages to get in and around the starting 11 week in and week out. 

I can't really see what he offers other than some good movement off the ball.

This is it. It's so bizarre that I'm beginning to think that there must be something – ANYTHING – that us great unwashed aren't seeing?

Or, alternatively (and worryingly), it is simply Brendan hoping that the investment will come off at some point. 

• Like 2