Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

11 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

This is it. It's so bizarre that I'm beginning to think that there must be something – ANYTHING – that us great unwashed aren't seeing?

Or, alternatively (and worryingly), it is simply Brendan hoping that the investment will come off at some point. 

It baffles me. I can only assume it's exactly as you say above and Brendan is hoping he will come good. 

When his time here is up i can almost guarantee we will not get anything close to 30m for him! We'd be lucky to get 15m. Newcastle have had our pants down with this transfer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

At least a 7 out of 10 every week and works his ass off. Gets pelters for not being Mahrez. 

I don't get what you mean by working his ass off, running round a lot in a non contributory manner is hardly relevant. People understandably for genuinely nice reasons, try and see the good in him. They'll cling onto anything like running around or the fact at least twice a game he'll show a neat bit of skill however, nice as it is, it doesn't paper over the practical cracks, I think most supporters now, hand on heart, see right through him and his overall distinct lack of quality and purpose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

It’s not non contributory though. He’s a massive part of our press. 

Maybe he just ain’t as bad as a lot of our ‘fans’ make out hence why BR keeps the faith with him. 

Of all the Leicester players you could have chosen for your avatar, you decided to pick Ahmed Musa. 

With respect, could it be that you're not the world's greatest judge of a player?

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1

We are currently 3rd in the best League in the world and imo Perez is nowhere near the standard we require to finish in the top 4 or higher even, we certainly need to strengthen in the final 3rd in the next transfer window.

59 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

At least a 7 out of 10 every week and works his ass off. Gets pelters for not being Mahrez. 

I have found Perez frustrating.  I don't think he is good enough for the level we are at.  I think he is a premier league player.  Sometimes, it seems that he appears to be working hard but achieving little.  He has played poorly enough that confidence must be an issue.

I like the fact that your opinion is supportive of him because of the amount of exaggerated negativity around him.  I think I am goi g to avoid the Perez thread f4om now on as it has become the negative side of a fan's forum. 

55 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It’s not non contributory though. He’s a massive part of our press. 

Maybe he just ain’t as bad as a lot of our ‘fans’ make out hence why BR keeps the faith with him. 

He's pretty useless with the ball when he receives it. 

If you think he is in the team simply to help the press, then maybe we need to look at Team GB and their athletics team for a better option. 

I don't think the criticism is unfair at all. He cost £30m and very rarely contributes at all. He is completely ineffective in most positions. I don't think it is a real reflection on his abilities, but his abilities do not suite us, he is too slow, always wants an extra touch and seemingly has no position in which he excels. If you are playing for a top four place you can't afford to carry players like him, he is more consistently average/poor than good. He is better suited to a slower paced more possession based game. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

He's pretty useless with the ball when he receives it. 

If you think he is in the team simply to help the press, then maybe we need to look at Team GB and their athletics team for a better option. 

Exactly this and our passages of play often break up when he gets the ball. The bloke is a liability.

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

As always there’s not much nuanced debate on here. I get it, football is an emotional sport and forward players are judged on goals and assists so I understand people’s frustrations but he’s clearly not as bad as half the forum make out. Is he good enough for a top 4 team? Maybe not. Is he as bad as people on here make out and does he deserve all the stick he gets? No.

Of all our forward players he has played less that half the amount of minutes as Vardy and Barnes and just over half as many as Maddison. He’s also played about 150 fewer minutes than Albrighton. In that time he’s made more interceptions than any of them apart from Albrighton (who only has two more interceptions in 150 minutes) and only Maddison has made more tackles than him (Only 1 more tackle despite playing in almost double the amount of games). It is clear from this that whilst his attacking numbers are poor he clearly is very important to out pressing game. Again, I’m not saying he is amazing and I understand people’s frustrations but he is clearly, demonstrably not as bad as people are saying and does not deserve the stick. 

This is essentially my position. 

Perez is decent enough for the EL knock out games, league cup and first couple rounds of the FA Cup .... but apart from Brighton on Weds, all those games are now past. Wouldn't be upset if we don't see him again this season to be honest, just offers nothing in any of the roles we've tried him in

He got slated last season and people said we need to see him up front... we have now, garbage. The only thing I can think of, which I spotted last season, was he did link up really well with Riccy and helped bring him further up the pitch pretty often, about it though

But, that being said, that's my 'unqualified' opinion of a lifelong fan, and I'm pretty sure Brendan sees something I don't, that works for his system.

Looking where we are, if Perez is contributing in Brendans eyes, I'll keep to my moaning, but trusting in BR. I mean we're 3rd in the league, still in 2 competitive cups, must be doing something right.... but 30million was a rip off ;) 

10 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Of course some people are exaggerating how bad he is but ask yourself, would the clubs we are trying to compete with for European places regularly field a player in a key attacking position who "gets a 5/6 every week, without offering anything spectacular"? Don't we need a bit more than that from our wide forwards to compete consistently for a top 6 spot?

So you think Perez starts if everyone is fit? 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'd say what's actually happened, being as fair as possible to all sides, is that we've outgrown him a lot quicker than expected.

When he signed i'm sure BR's two year brief was Europa and sustained top 7 finishes. I don't think anyone would have expected back to back top 4 challenges.

I also think at £15m he was expected to be a squad player, but again with injuries we've had to use him a lot more often than perhaps intended.

He's a good lad, never stops trying and I always love that in a Leicester player. Next season we have to move up a gear though, we've spent £30m on defenders, we've spent £30m on midfielders, we need to be spending at least that on a top class winger/am

Would tend to agree. I think he would not start if Dennis was fit, it would be Praet, Marc or maybe Under were he deemed fit and capable, but it is what it is. He ain`t great, but it is what we have, and some of the vitriol on here is pathetic and worse is following a fashionable stance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'd say what's actually happened, being as fair as possible to all sides, is that we've outgrown him a lot quicker than expected.

When he signed i'm sure BR's two year brief was Europa and sustained top 7 finishes. I don't think anyone would have expected back to back top 4 challenges.

I also think at £15m he was expected to be a squad player, but again with injuries we've had to use him a lot more often than perhaps intended.

He's a good lad, never stops trying and I always love that in a Leicester player. Next season we have to move up a gear though, we've spent £30m on defenders, we've spent £30m on midfielders, we need to be spending at least that on a top class winger/am

Was he only £15m then? In the current market that's not too bad, I thought it was £30, my bad

Reading what you've said, I think that's spot on to be fair.... it's hard as a fan not to get too carried away, but going back to the beginning of last season, if you'd said we'd finish 5th, then be challenging again the season after whilst still in 2 cups, I'd be checking what you're smoking. At the time I did think perez was a decent signing, and I don't think he was bad last season... but this season he's second rate, looks lost....... but I think that nails head has just been firmly struck by yourself

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simonb said:

Was he only £15m then? In the current market that's not too bad, I thought it was £30, my bad

Reading what you've said, I think that's spot on to be fair.... it's hard as a fan not to get too carried away, but going back to the beginning of last season, if you'd said we'd finish 5th, then be challenging again the season after whilst still in 2 cups, I'd be checking what you're smoking. At the time I did think perez was a decent signing, and I don't think he was bad last season... but this season he's second rate, looks lost....... but I think that nails head has just been firmly struck by yourself

I know both 15m and 30m was banded about, but i'm quite close to Newcastle news and their insiders said the 30m was Ashley trying to make the deal look better. Overall it was 'undisclosed' officially lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

As always there’s not much nuanced debate on here. I get it, football is an emotional sport and forward players are judged on goals and assists so I understand people’s frustrations but he’s clearly not as bad as half the forum make out. Is he good enough for a top 4 team? Maybe not. Is he as bad as people on here make out and does he deserve all the stick he gets? No.

Of all our forward players he has played less that half the amount of minutes as Vardy and Barnes and just over half as many as Maddison. He’s also played about 150 fewer minutes than Albrighton. In that time he’s made more interceptions than any of them apart from Albrighton (who only has two more interceptions in 150 minutes) and only Maddison has made more tackles than him (Only 1 more tackle despite playing in almost double the amount of games). It is clear from this that whilst his attacking numbers are poor he clearly is very important to out pressing game. Again, I’m not saying he is amazing and I understand people’s frustrations but he is clearly, demonstrably not as bad as people are saying and does not deserve the stick. 

His interceptions and tackle stats are probably so good because his second touch is often making a tackle. 

The main issue really is that he's a forward player in a team chasing a top 4 spot and he doesn't contribute much going forwards. 

The frustration should be pointed towards Rodgers anyway, Perez is hardly gonna turn around and say "the lads on foxestalk don't think I should be playing". Rodgers continues to play him to justify the money he spent on him. The fact he runs around isn't justification for starting as a winger in any team, never mind a team chasing the top 4. 

All managers have one player though., it's understandable that Rodgers wants to try and justify spending loads of money on a player who everyone knew about. I think the frustration would be less if we didn't have an exciting winger on the bench who's already assisted more in the league in 260 mins than Perez has in nearly 4 times as long. When Perez gets the ball, people are impressed when he doesn't lose possession and use it as an example of him having a good game. There's no expecation of him to beat a man and get in a cross or a shot.

I remember when we had Josh Low playing on the right wing, the highlight of him being on the pitch was seeing him constantly messing with his shirt because his nips were chaffing.

• Like 4

I've been trying to nail what it is about him that frustrates me so much, I think unlike the other players he's the one whose footballing philosophy I can't understand, I can't understand at times what he's trying to do, why he's making the decisions he's making, why he doesn't learn from one situation to another instead of Lemming like failing over and over the same cliff.

My two biggest bug bears are what I call his "Floaty" presence, movement is fine, great, but so often the right back goes to pass up the line and he's AWOL hovering around Maddison of Tielemans, or is there but dashes off the second the pass heads there in a different direction and can't slam on the brakes, the prime example away to Villa semi last season where he was at times RW, LW, CF, AM and Targett had time for a picnic on the left for Villa. We don't know what he's being asked to do or has license to do, maybe Rodgers has encouraged him to roam but at some point he needs presence, needs to occupy and trouble an opponent not float around like a butterfly in a meadow. Then secondly his inability to just for once make a solid firm contact with the ball, get a solid foot behind it, kill it, keep possession or get a firm strike on goal, it's always the flick, the glance, the spin, the trick, just sometimes do the basic thing, get that part right then move on. Loose balls in the box are scuffed at, brushed, clipped, just meet it with a solid boot and guide it goalwards instead of this performing seal routine! As a £30 million player he should at least look like a goal threat every time he steps out on the pitch, unfortunately that's not the case. His flexibility to play in different positions, some undoubted skill, his work rate tackling back, it's not like he has nothing to offer I just wish he'd learn add some composure and sensibility to his play at times and mix it up a bit but maybe that's never been his thing.

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I know both 15m and 30m was banded about, but i'm quite close to Newcastle news and their insiders said the 30m was Ashley trying to make the deal look better. Overall it was 'undisclosed' officially lol 

Ashley's quite well known for doing that the other way round... selling a T Shirt for a fiver that is apparently at an RRP of £95 :whistle: so yea that's probably the case

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

His interceptions and tackle stats are probably so good because his second touch is often making a tackle. 

The main issue really is that he's a forward player in a team chasing a top 4 spot and he doesn't contribute much going forwards. 

The frustration should be pointed towards Rodgers anyway, Perez is hardly gonna turn around and say "the lads on foxestalk don't think I should be playing". Rodgers continues to play him to justify the money he spent on him. The fact he runs around isn't justification for starting as a winger in any team, never mind a team chasing the top 4. 

All managers have one player though., it's understandable that Rodgers wants to try and justify spending loads of money on a player who everyone knew about. I think the frustration would be less if we didn't have an exciting winger on the bench who's already assisted more in the league in 260 mins than Perez has in nearly 4 times as long. When Perez gets the ball, people are impressed when he doesn't lose possession and use it as an example of him having a good game. There's no expecation of him to beat a man and get in a cross or a shot.

I remember when we had Josh Low playing on the right wing, the highlight of him being on the pitch was seeing him constantly messing with his shirt because his nips were chaffing.

Good points, well made. 

Just now, Simonb said:

Ashley's quite well known for doing that the other way round... selling a T Shirt for a fiver that is apparently at an RRP of £95 :whistle: so yea that's probably the case

Only thing I will say is I work with a Geordie lad, and he said if you paid more than 5m for him we've had your pants down, he wasn't rated there either

I agree with your take though, coz last season I appreciated Perez, just outgrown him