Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Rodgers continues to play him to justify the money he spent on him.

A lot of what you said is entirely fair, but do you really think that Rodgers is this daft? The man gets so much right, and of course he isn't perfect, but this line of argument essentially says 'we all know better than BR'. 

Sorry, this sounds too harsh I know. But I don't much like this line of argument.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'd say what's actually happened, being as fair as possible to all sides, is that we've outgrown him a lot quicker than expected.

When he signed i'm sure BR's two year brief was Europa and sustained top 7 finishes. I don't think anyone would have expected back to back top 4 challenges.

I also think at £15m he was expected to be a squad player, but again with injuries we've had to use him a lot more often than perhaps intended.

He's a good lad, never stops trying and I always love that in a Leicester player. Next season we have to move up a gear though, we've spent £30m on defenders, we've spent £30m on midfielders, we need to be spending at least that on a top class winger/am

He is 27 and still has some monetary value. I honestly would look to offload him in the summer. In 2 years he has given us some good moments but never consistent performances. I like him. He seems like a good guy who works hard but he is too lightweight and doesn't offer enough G+A for an attacking player. Decent back up but we need a starter who will match Barnes numbers.

I'll remember him for his hattrick against Southampton, and his relationship with Ricardo in 19/20 was some of the best football I've ever seen at City. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

A lot of what you said is entirely fair, but do you really think that Rodgers is this daft? The man gets so much right, and of course he isn't perfect, but this line of argument essentially says 'we all know better than BR'. 

Sorry, this sounds too harsh I know. But I don't much like this line of argument.

He played Perez up top for 3 games before giving Kel a chance :D 

All people make mistakes and have blind spots, it's just being human. Rodgers has got plenty right and is a superb manager, who has also shown that he's capable of changing and improving (shown by his willingness to be more conservative and try different formations). 

I do think that because we don't have the emotional attachment with the players that we are able to look at things more objectively than someone who is in the thick of it and may let emotions creep into decision making. Of course the counter argument is that Rodgers is aware of a lot more behind the scenes factors and is making his decisions based on them.

Just now, filbertway said:

All people make mistakes and have blind spots, it's just being human. Rodgers has got plenty right and is a superb manager, who has also shown that he's capable of changing and improving (shown by his willingness to be more conservative and try different formations). 

I do think that because we don't have the emotional attachment with the players that we are able to look at things more objectively than someone who is in the thick of it and may let emotions creep into decision making. Of course the counter argument is that Rodgers is aware of a lot more behind the scenes factors and is making his decisions based on them.

That's very well said. And you're right about the emotional attachment too, but I really don't trust most of us (and for fairness, I have to include myself in that bracket) to be entirely objective! This is one reason I don't do match ratings and I don't try to proclaim to know who is world class or 'good enough for a top 4 team' because I admit I don't know. 

It's about opinions - I know. People are perfectly entitled to think what the heck they like. But as long as BR has us doing as well as we have been doing, I hope you'd understand me putting my money on him rather than the FT majority. And finally, it's also worth pointing out that majority opinion isn't always right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I do understand what you're saying, but this made me chuckle 😂

• Like 1

I remember when we bought him for so called 30m, there was nothing in the media that he is a star player, who saw his potential. I never like to buy from other EPL teams, people say these buys are premier League ready but I think think isn't as important as some people believe. Should of bought a 20m young up and coming player from the continent

• Like 1

His close technical control is as good as anyone’s at the club and when facing 10 defenders behind the ball this is exactly the kind of player you want. So on paper at least it makes perfect sense to play him against the likes of wolves but to me it looks like the problems are in his head. He never truly looks like he believes he’s going to beat his man or beat the keeper, then on the few occasions he does it surprises him and he looses it. He doesn’t look like he plays with any kind of plan of what he’s going to do with the ball other than try and react to what’s directly in front of him. Good players are thinking 3/4 steps ahead.

18 minutes ago, GFox83 said:

His close technical control is as good as anyone’s at the club and when facing 10 defenders behind the ball this is exactly the kind of player you want. So on paper at least it makes perfect sense to play him against the likes of wolves but to me it looks like the problems are in his head. He never truly looks like he believes he’s going to beat his man or beat the keeper, then on the few occasions he does it surprises him and he looses it. He doesn’t look like he plays with any kind of plan of what he’s going to do with the ball other than try and react to what’s directly in front of him. Good players are thinking 3/4 steps ahead.

Except he generally takes about three touches too many, stumbles and loses the ball. Happened over and over again yesterday and so much attacking play needlessly broke down. You can forgive player losing it actually trying something, Barnes can lose it a lot, because he's trying something. Perez yesterday just lost it doing little of note. 

I've not prescribed to the Perez bashing and stood up for him. But yesterday he was poor in an attacking sense. He grafted and tracked back well at times, but if you want that you might as well play Hamza on the wing or Albrighton who does it better. 

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I accept that Rodgers has forgotten more about football and players than I will ever know, however, if you follow that line of argument, should we never question the government, because, y'know, the Prime Minister knows better than we do?  It would also render this forum somewhat redundant if we never dissented from the LCFC establishment view and followed with blind faith.  We have got transfers wrong in the past, despite the majority being excellent.

For me, I find it all the more frustrating that I can't see the value in playing Perez when Rodgers does because I value his judgement and expertise so highly.

1 minute ago, murphy said:

I accept that Rodgers has forgotten more about football and players than I will ever know, however, if you follow that line of argument, should we never question the government, because, y'know, the Prime Minister knows better than we do?  It would also render this forum somewhat redundant if we never dissented from the LCFC establishment view and followed with blind faith.  We have got transfers wrong in the past, despite the majority being excellent.

For me, I find it all the more frustrating that I can't see the value in playing Perez when Rodgers does because I value his judgement and expertise so highly.

Not at all. I was saying that summing it up as 'he's being irrational' (which is the essential gist of what was being suggested) strikes me as a rather lame argument, just as 'Perez must have kompromat on BR' or 'We're in 3rd place in spite of player X, Y or Z' are. 

Your point about government doesn't really work afaic, because the people at the top aren't in any way expert or qualified, they happen to come from the right stock and be in a position of enormous privilege, and some of them are very convincing conmen/liars too. I'm sure you'd not level such things at BR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

I'd say what's actually happened, being as fair as possible to all sides, is that we've outgrown him a lot quicker than expected.

When he signed i'm sure BR's two year brief was Europa and sustained top 7 finishes. I don't think anyone would have expected back to back top 4 challenges.

I also think at £15m he was expected to be a squad player, but again with injuries we've had to use him a lot more often than perhaps intended.

He's a good lad, never stops trying and I always love that in a Leicester player. Next season we have to move up a gear though, we've spent £30m on defenders, we've spent £30m on midfielders, we need to be spending at least that on a top class winger/am

If you google the transfer, all you can find is the £30m fee from decent sources such as SKY, BBC and The Guardian.  The transfer only happened because we activated his buy out clause which was £30m.

Finally, Rodgers said that we were in the market for a £30-£50m wide player that caused great excitement on here at the time.  After Perez signed, he was asked directly if we were still in for this wide player and he said that Perez was that player.

The issue of his fee keeps coming up but without any inside info it looks an open and shut case.  

The fee is not Perez' fault of course and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with but I suspect it is a reason that he makes the starting eleven so oftern on the back of ineffectual performances.  We're not Man Utd,we can't afford to rectify £30m mistakes by ust going out and buying again.

Edited by murphy
typo

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Not at all. I was saying that summing it up as 'he's being irrational' (which is the essential gist of what was being suggested) strikes me as a rather lame argument, just as 'Perez must have kompromat on BR' or 'We're in 3rd place in spite of player X, Y or Z' are. 

Your point about government doesn't really work afaic, because the people at the top aren't in any way expert or qualified, they happen to come from the right stock and be in a position of enormous privilege, and some of them are very convincing conmen/liars too. I'm sure you'd not level such things at BR.

Kompromat?  Good one.  Every day's a school day.

14 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He isn't and he'll never be good enough to be playing regularly in a side that's competing for the top 4. At best he's a squad player that will get minutes in cup games and early European games, but for 30m we as fans expect more. He's been here almost 2 years and we still don't know his best position, he seems to lose the ball regularly, he has zero pace, he drops too deep when playing up top, he doesn't score or create enough from wide positions and he's pretty weak on the ball. I think his best quality is his defensive work and occasionally some nice flicks, but that's not enough.

We've been trying to replace Mahrez for 3 years now, I really hope we manage it this summer.

Some fans have been trying to replace Mahrez...I Doubt Team or B.Rodgers give it a 2nd thought...!!!

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I just don’t understand how players like Albrighton and Okazaki get lauded and loved for their off the ball and tactical contribution but someone who offers the same off the ball contribution plus far more technically than either gets crucified and slaughtered. 

You’ve just named a club legend and possibly the biggest ‘cult hero’ the club has ever had and compared them to Ayoze Perez. Come on now 

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, murphy said:

Of all the Leicester players you could have chosen for your avatar, you decided to pick Ahmed Musa. 

With respect, could it be that you're not the world's greatest judge of a player?

Lets be fair here..!!

With respect, could it be that you're not the world's greatest judge of a player?

Show me a foxestalk  member that even gets near....

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I just don’t understand how players like Albrighton and Okazaki get lauded and loved for their off the ball and tactical contribution but someone who offers the same off the ball contribution plus far more technically than either gets crucified and slaughtered. 

I think we’re slowly understanding the roles and contributions of Perez (high press, tight dribbling) and Iheanacho (link up play and Target Man?!).

The problem is they are being asked to contribute more in our system where an Albrighton and Okazaki were part of a system where they were only asked to do one thing. Okazaki win the ball back, Albrighton tackle and cross. 

You could see their output clearly in that system, but for every action you get out of Perez and Iheanacho, you get a dreadful miss, pass or error. These become more obvious when big players are missing like Vardy and N’Didi.

39 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

My avatar choice doesn’t mean I rated Musa :D 

And possibly, hence why I don’t get paid £100,000 a week to manage Leicester City. But Rodgers does and he keeps picking him so.... 

I know, it was just a joke.  I should have put one them emoji hoodjamaflips at the end of it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

It’s not non contributory though. He’s a massive part of our press. 

Maybe he just ain’t as bad as a lot of our ‘fans’ make out hence why BR keeps the faith with him. 

He's got about as much press in him as rampant shrew, every time he gets near a big centre half he looks as if he's going to burst into tears 🤣, he couldn't press a daisy 🤣.

As for why Rodgers persists with him is a mystery. Is it because he's his man, cost a great deal of funds and has to try and justify it? You'd like to think not. Is Albrighton, being of a certain age with incredible work rate (not in a powder puff Perez sense) not able now to play as many games? I think there's perhaps more to Under than meets the eye and we have to trust Rodgers and his staff there I think. Personally, I think Rodgers plays Perez despite knowing his extreme limitations but knowing that at this moment in time, he hasn’t got many alternatives. Hopefully Perez can find a more suitable team in the summer and us a more suitable replacement. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1