Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

If the team react as negatively and defeatist as 90% of the post match responses on here, then we might as well jack it in now and get ready for life in the Championship.

:nigel:

Agreed. We dominated Utd at Mold Trafford without actually playing well at all. One stupid mistake cost us despite setting up over cautiously and extending unnecessary respect to a mid table team. 

We are are more than capable of beating Spurs - we need to believe it, but more importantly, Rodgers needs to believe it. 

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach

Hamza should carry the ball forward more , he saw what Ngolo did for us and use that as a model for his own game . He is fast and powerful enough to beat the press .

35 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

If the team react as negatively and defeatist as 90% of the post match responses on here, then we might as well jack it in now and get ready for life in the Championship.

:nigel:

Yeah...I couldn't agree more.......I'm stunned at how pessimistic  and negative the majority of posts are.

We had a bad day at the office...but tell me ..how can Palace beat Utd away..and then get thrashed by Spurs who only a few weeks earlier got beaten by an average Newcastle  side at home.

...then Norwich beat an unbeaten Man City.

For those saying we're going to be creamed by the Spuds....why?

I expect us to beat the spuds 2 -0.

Edited by ultrafox

26 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Yeah...I couldn't agree more.......I'm stunned at how pessimistic  and negative the majority of posts are.

We had a bad day at the office...but tell me ..how can Palace beat Utd away..and then get thrashed by Spurs who only a few weeks earlier got beaten by an average Newcastle  side at home.

I think it is because we know we will go into the game playing two CDM’s have no width and isolate Vardy.....

• Like 1

----------------------------Schmeichel-----------------------------

Benković    Evans    Soyuncu

Ricardo--------Tielemans------N'didi----------Chilwell 

Maddison 

Vardy-------------Perez / Kelechi

44 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

I think it's a case of a reality check.

We were poor against a team alot of us rate as poorer even though they are they 'mighty Manchester United', for me that phrase doesn't wash anymore, they're average and on their knees, no-one, absolutely no-one should fear going to Old Trafford at this current moment, they're there for the taking and we (as in the team and set up) were negative, as a fanbase most fans I spoke to were in high spirits and confident we'd go there and get something yesterday but negative tactics got threw back in our faces, we seems scared, fuck the fearless tag of 2015/16 ever since we've largly been fearful.

I expected (it's the wrong word but to quote you) a 2-1 win yesterday, as I said expected is the wrong word, maybe predicted, hoped, I was confident, cocky perhaps, look where that got us, a reality check has been took, have we improved that much, with this quality at our disposal, has much changed? Hmmm i'd say marginly, we're not using it to anywhere near its potential let's put it that way. So I think people have now been took down a few pegs and let's just play things down again, ultimately (And I know it doesn't work this simple) but Tottenham are streets ahead of Man Utd at this current moment and if we were so negative and scared against that current Man Utd team I can't see how we'll be any better against Tottenham, that is where the 'pessimistic and negative' posts are coming from.

Hindsights a wonderful thing, had we gone there, attacked, tried to play positive football and got a new arsehole ripped we'd all be saying we should have been cautious but negative football is no good for anyone and it goes without saying casuses frustration, negativity and pessimism. There's middle ground that needs to be found where we mix styles up abit, become abit of the unknown, teams questioning what they're gonna get against us, at the moment we're anything but unpredictable and far too predictable.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Hamza should carry the ball forward more , he saw what Ngolo did for us and use that as a model for his own game . He is fast and powerful enough to beat the press .

... funnyly this is a part of his game I thought was lacking watching him in the U23s. Did not try to Impose himself on the game and instead of wall passing he could have driven with the ball to attack the opposition back line. Very frustrating watching him game after game going through the motions in the U23s.

Definitely a part of his game that it appears he needs to add. 

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

We were poor against a team alot of us rate as poorer even though they are they 'mighty Manchester United', for me that phrase doesn't wash anymore, they're average and on their knees, no-one, absolutely no-one should fear going to Old Trafford at this current moment, they're there for the taking and we (as in the team and set up) were negative, most fans I spoke to were in high spirits and confident we'd go there and get something yesterday but negative tactics got threw back in our faces, we seems scared, fuck the fearless tag of 2015/16 ever since we've largly been fearful.

I expected (it's the wrong word but to quote you) a 2-1 win yesterday, as I said expected the wrong word, maybe predicted, hoped, I was confident, cocky perhaps, look where that got us, a reality check has been took, have we improved that much, with this quality at our disposal, has much changed? Hmmm i'd say marginly, we're not using it to its potential let's put it that way. So I think people have now been took down a few pegs and let's just play things down again, ultimately (And I know it doesn't work this simple) but Tottenham are streets ahead of Man Utd at this current moment and if we were so negative and scared against that current Man Utd team I can't see how we'll be any better against Tottenham, that is where the 'pessimistic and negative' posts are coming from.

Hindsights a wonderful thing, had we gone there, attacked, tried to play positive football and got a new arsehole ripped we'd all be saying we should have been cautious but negative football is no good for anyone and it goes without saying casuses frustration, negativity and pessimism. There's middle ground that needs to be found where we mix styles up abit, become abit of the unknown, teams questioning what they're gonna get against us, at the moment we're anything but unpredictable, far to predictable.

... the players were not negative the manager was!!

Rodgers wants to have a base to build on and is trying to garner points to take into the second part of our season and push on from there. We can expect a more attacking team when we get the safety aspect out of the way but in the meantime he is hampering the teams natural progression. 

The formation he chose was akin to putting stabilisers on a kids bike, it limits them to what they can and can't do. 

I hope that there was feedback from the team and for Brendan to understand tying one arm behind your players devalues what they can bring to the table. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, browniefox said:

FFS, just want we need. I expect at least 7 defensive minded players for this. Quite sad how quickly BR is losing my confidence, I don't think Puel frustrated me this quickly. 

I can’t tell the difference between them. Rodgers seems a bit lucky I suppose compared to Claude

• Like 1

Spurs flew yesterday and that was with none of their summer signings included. However its about what we do at home that is more important because they may have skill in areas but they seriously lack pace and we have that in abundance. I just hope we land on a system of play and get the personnel right because we have plenty of options there but it seems we haven't a favoured first 11 where sides like Spurs have,.

Kasper

Riccardo - Evans - Soyuncu - Chilwell

Hamza

Tielemans - Praet

Ayoze                         Maddison

Vardy

Its harsh on Ndidi but he is another one who looks a little heavy legged after his summer excursions. Hamza uses the ball quicker and passes more crisply which I think is something we need to get back to doing as at times we are pedestrian and in cruise control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

We were poor against a team alot of us rate as poorer even though they are they 'mighty Manchester United', for me that phrase doesn't wash anymore, they're average and on their knees, no-one, absolutely no-one should fear going to Old Trafford at this current moment, they're there for the taking and we (as in the team and set up) were negative, as a fanbase most fans I spoke to were in high spirits and confident we'd go there and get something yesterday but negative tactics got threw back in our faces, we seems scared, fuck the fearless tag of 2015/16 ever since we've largly been fearful.

I expected (it's the wrong word but to quote you) a 2-1 win yesterday, as I said expected is the wrong word, maybe predicted, hoped, I was confident, cocky perhaps, look where that got us, a reality check has been took, have we improved that much, with this quality at our disposal, has much changed? Hmmm i'd say marginly, we're not using it to anywhere near its potential let's put it that way. So I think people have now been took down a few pegs and let's just play things down again, ultimately (And I know it doesn't work this simple) but Tottenham are streets ahead of Man Utd at this current moment and if we were so negative and scared against that current Man Utd team I can't see how we'll be any better against Tottenham, that is where the 'pessimistic and negative' posts are coming from.

Hindsights a wonderful thing, had we gone there, attacked, tried to play positive football and got a new arsehole ripped we'd all be saying we should have been cautious but negative football is no good for anyone and it goes without saying casuses frustration, negativity and pessimism. There's middle ground that needs to be found where we mix styles up abit, become abit of the unknown, teams questioning what they're gonna get against us, at the moment we're anything but unpredictable and far too predictable.

I think it's more a case of, we beat Bournemouth at home, we're world champions; we lose to Man U away and were bound for non-league football.

I exaggerate of course (though not by much in some cases), but it's a valid point, despite the hyperbole

• Like 3

I don't mind if we don't do well in this game, despite the delusions of some on this forum they are definitely the 3rd best club in the premier league, if very inconsistent. They're on form now and with players returning to them from injury soon (Ndombele, Alli) they will only be stronger next week.

What I DO want to see is something different from last week besides benching Gray, which even the most idiotic and stubborn manager would do after yesterday. I think benching Tielemans and trying something different with the formation could be a good start. Tielemans is real class but clearly needs a bit of time to adapt this year and a few games on the bench will not hurt him.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I think it's more a case of, we beat Bournemouth at home, we're world champions; we lose to Man U away and were bound for non-league football.

I exaggerate of course (though not by much in some cases), but it's a valid point, despite the hyperbole

Personally for me I didn't get too excited about the Bournemouth game, it was a good win but any win is a good win for me, it was probably the best i'd seen us play in a long while and take nothing away from it but given the last season and a half excitement has been few and far between.

For me yesterday I was so angry and disappointed because of the state of the opposition and how we had our tails between our legs, shying away.

I hold my hands up I take the positive but don't get over excited when we win but I take losses quite badly but yesterday was a real kick in the teeth how fearful, negative and lacking ambition we were given the state of yesterdays opposition.

One positive I take out of the disappointment is it shows how far we've come and how far Man Utd have fell I guess but ultimately we still couldn't come away with anything.

11 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I don't mind if we don't do well in this game, despite the delusions of some on this forum they are definitely the 3rd best club in the premier league, if very inconsistent. They're on form now and with players returning to them from injury soon (Ndombele, Alli) they will only be stronger next week.

What I DO want to see is something different from last week besides benching Gray, which even the most idiotic and stubborn manager would do after yesterday. I think benching Tielemans and trying something different with the formation could be a good start. Tielemans is real class but clearly needs a bit of time to adapt this year and a few games on the bench will not hurt him.

Doesn’t make much sense though does it .......he had three months to adapt .. and he already showed he is up to speed with the PL during that period....is it just a drop off in his form or have we changed the system which doesn’t suit him? We played wilf and hamza against arsenal and looked good (before they went down to ten). Brendan has obvs fiddled around and youri’s form seems to have suffered as a result. 

I’m sure it’s a lot more complicated than many appreciate .........

3 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

----------------------------Schmeichel-----------------------------

Benković    Evans    Soyuncu

Ricardo--------Tielemans------N'didi----------Chilwell 

Maddison 

Vardy-------------Perez / Kelechi

Wow what a balanced line up! Can you play 2 up front? Who knew? Maybe with a partner Jamie will be more of a threat and Kelechi may start to feel at home and repay his fee a bit? There is a player in there.

Guest seanfox778

Another big test. Would definitely take a point now but if we play to our strengths we can give them a game. 

Edited by seanfox778

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Doesn’t make much sense though does it .......he had three months to adapt .. and he already showed he is up to speed with the PL during that period....is it just a drop off in his form or have we changed the system which doesn’t suit him? We played wilf and hamza against arsenal and looked good (before they went down to ten). Brendan has obvs fiddled around and youri’s form seems to have suffered as a result. 

I’m sure it’s a lot more complicated than many appreciate .........

Yeah, the changes in formation have not helped him, but that's not to say that Rodgers can't help him adapt to them with time.