Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

@jeffschlupp said:

Tactically he is a top manager. There are lots of players that have grown in this side. Ndidi and Soyuncu in particular are now very decent ball players. Morgan and Fuchs are more competent on the ball. Vardy is a much more well rounded player when he's on form. He's got a tune out of Iheanacho. He's moulded Maddison from a no.10 into a position where he can influence the game from deep where he is best. And so on.

...what you are describing is a good man manager, nothing to do with tactics!!

Are you writing some type of biography for the bloke? You can quote him without it being like you're writing a eulogy for him

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

@jeffschlupp said:

Tactically he is a top manager. There are lots of players that have grown in this side. Ndidi and Soyuncu in particular are now very decent ball players. Morgan and Fuchs are more competent on the ball. Vardy is a much more well rounded player when he's on form. He's got a tune out of Iheanacho. He's moulded Maddison from a no.10 into a position where he can influence the game from deep where he is best. And so on.

...what you are describing is a good man manager, nothing to do with tactics!!

I'm not sure I've disagreed with so many points in one post before haha. No point arguing it though if we are both looking at the same things and disagreeing :D

• Thanks 1

I don't think our failing is mostly to do with tactics, substitutions or Plan Bs, I think the players got it into their head when we were 15 points ahead that the job was done then on top of that the spanking by Liverpool has just knocked the stuffing out of them.

In terms of their attitude and approach to games now during this slump compared to when we were riding a wave of success is there to be seen. The players are sluggish, conservative lacking confidence and drive and dare I say it intensity so it's taking longer to get the ball forward.

This is where the failure is, Rodgers needs to get into their minds and somehow get their confidence up.

What we needs is 90 minutes of what we saw for the 1st 20mins of the 2nd half v Everton, That was more like our early season games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don't think our failing is mostly to do with tactics, substitutions or Plan Bs, I think the players got it into their head when we were 15 points ahead that the job was done then on top of that the spanking by Liverpool has just knocked the stuffing out of them.

In terms of their attitude and approach to games now during this slump compared to when we were riding a wave of success is there to be seen. The players are sluggish, conservative lacking confidence and drive and dare I say it intensity so it's taking longer to get the ball forward.

This is where the failure is, Rodgers needs to get into their minds and somehow get their confidence up.

What we needs is 90 minutes of what we saw for the 1st 20mins of the 2nd half v Everton, That was more like our early season games.

100% agree. Reminds me of 2012/13 when we started the season on fire, went on a run of poor form and then got into the playoffs on the last day of the season against Forest.

17 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I had the very same thought!!!

Gerrard just had to be half decent in order to challenge Celtic and with the chance to get back in the Premiership with the wages and a young team to coach and develop, Leicester was an opportunity he could not afford to miss.

Absolutely and as far as I'm concerned, he was far more lucky to get us than the other way round. People forget that when Liverpool sacked him, nobody would touch him with a barge pole. A few years in an almost un-loseable job combined with his blarney and everyone's convinced he's a world beater.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, davieG said:

Written by....

Posted by 

Tom McNeil

13 hours ago

Follow @scoutscottish

So a Scot by all accounts bet he doesn't have an axe to grind.

Hahaha, good point, though they're not all Hoops supporters. There is however a large element of truth in his observations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

These fans that want him sacked who genuinely do you want to replace him with? No good getting rid of someone if you don’t know who to get in. I still think if and it’s a big if we can get that first win we’ll turn it around. Problem is we’ve only got 6 games left and don’t look like scoring let alone winning matches. 

Dont think anyone has called for him to be sacked right now, its a what if situation if we dont make the CL.

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The fear I have is that if we don't turn this round before the end of the season then we might start off poorly next season.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked needs to have a word though, we need to give him more time to put his own stamp onto the squad. He can start by signing a decent bloody winger, we've only needed one for 2 years now.

Just as a reminder the last time we gave a manager time after he had 1/2 a season of bad form in the top division, we got relegated.

Some people seem unrealistic, in that they think managers should be given a couple of seasons to turn round bad form, football doesnt work like that anymore, its a dated concept.  One bad season can lose you 10s of millions, make you less attractive to new players, or even get you relegated, for that reason giving managers time as you put it is very risky.  Essentially they are all given time, but the the clock starts ticking from the first game lost in a bad run, so the argument to be made is Rodgers is already been given time right now.

Its very rare for a manager to recover once a bad run hits 20 games, regardless of summer breaks in between.  Currently Rodgers is on 14 league games (and 2 cup games).

So the magic question is, if you feel 22 league games is not enough time for a manager to fix things (22 assuming his position is considered in the summer which it wont be), how long is enough time?  I remember asking this question for players, and the question was either ignored or people refused to give a fix time, which gave me the impression they feel time should be given as long as needed (potentially years).

Realistically we all know regardless of what happens he will be here at the start of next season, unless he leaves of his own accord, so I dont see his position been reviewed until 1-2 months into next season, and only if he has a bad start.  So he is going to get another summer window, but just bear in mind its unlikely we will rehaul the squad, we dont have the finances, so he has to work with what he has got.

Also bear in mind the club wants CL football, so if we hovering mid table next season, that may be enough to get him sacked as well.  Mid table wasnt enough for puel to keep his job.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

These fans that want him sacked who genuinely do you want to replace him with? No good getting rid of someone if you don’t know who to get in. I still think if and it’s a big if we can get that first win we’ll turn it around. Problem is we’ve only got 6 games left and don’t look like scoring let alone winning matches. 

0ECD9B1C-42FF-4E54-AC6B-9D49829D5DE1.jpeg.cc7f69966df648ad8ac45b85b7735686.jpeg76CE09BE-D01E-40DA-91A0-D142FF6F7D43.jpeg.83432310743d7879728182b50c6571cc.jpeg791B15FB-4CAE-441D-9A06-299A0926C556.thumb.jpeg.c039a764ed66d2c3254477257d89ee5c.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jaqo88 said:

Agreed, BR has us in 3rd and we are in a tricky situation no doubt but if we were around 7th and spent the whole season being inconsistent there probably wouldn’t be all these big calls being made by everyone. 

Terrible form of course but building a team takes time, often years, so patience is necessary, he’s only been here for a year after all. 

You need to find another forum mate objectiveness and balance will get you nowhere here 😂 

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach

Do I want him sacked? Even if we miss out on the C.L. certainly not. If he fails to find us another reliable striker and for God's sake doesn' t put more physicality into our pathetically lightweight team I might change my mind. These faults are so glaring I believe he will correct them. Rodgers has been overrated though , he is a decent manager but has a lot to prove before he can claim to be one of the best.

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Brendan is not a “shit” manager. He is good manager who gets results from good players. 

The problem he has got is that the team is good but the squad is not. We all know that. He got the best out of the team. However, like any team, you have a downward curve except the team that usually wins the league. When you are going for top ten, top 8 or even top 6, the performance of the team on the upward curve usually papers over the cracks (we still very much a top 6 side). When you’re going for Europe’s most elite competition, you need a level of performance consistently at a level which is very hard to maintain with 12/13 players.

This is the problem and the only problem. When players have lost form, got injured etc. The replacement is probably half the level of them - the team subsequently loses the consistency level required i.e. Ndidi getting injured, now Riccy P. Decent players replaced them but not top 4 level players. 

Unless you spend like Man C it takes time to build a squad of that capability. We would be foolish to let Brendan go without building that squad given where he has taken the team. He has had 18 months for god sake. 

We are in safe hands and will be stronger as a team and better as a squad after the summer. For now though, we need to scrape a win or two. 

You have a very rose tinted view, you talk as if 18 months is nothing, I think you stuck in decades past, in modern football 18 months is an eternity.

But what you are completely ignoring, which I dont know is out of ignorance or convenience, is the momentum.

We have been progressively declining and are currently in relegation form, this form has not lasted a few games, its lasted for almost half a season.  Its not a blip, its a new trend.  The club doesnt have money to rehaul the squad either, so I dont know where you get the idea from that will happen in a single summer window, especially when the parent company has no income right now.

If our form dropped to mid table form, I dont think this discussion would be even happening, I think we all would have accepted if our form dropped of a bit, to mid table form, but that is not what has happened, there is no benefit to pretending things are different to the reality.

There is claims the players are at fault, the players are not good enough, we will have lots of money in the summer.  If the players were not good enough we wouldnt have got the results we got, we can also clearly play better, he changed the formation second half against everton and we improved noticeably, most of the problems right now is due to tactical errors by the manager.

After the everton game he should have been in the sky interview slamming the referees for VAR, get him self fined or whatever, but its what good managers do to make the referees think again, the team should be training on another couple of formations, and he needs to be prepared to change things 20 mins into a game when it isnt working.  I dont mean like for like subs, I mean actual tactical shape/formation changes.  He needs to start earning that salary.

The players sitting back, the bad formation, vardy been isolated, passing sideways and backwards, is not bad form its bad tactics.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Rodgers didn't seem to struggle to coach Luis Suarez.

Nor was his lack of a top playing career a problem from March to December last year.

Unfortunately seasons last longer than 6 months.

I take it Peter Taylor was a great manager then? he had a pretty good 6 months.

Edited by Chrysalis

2 hours ago, Le Renard said:

Rodgers was first choice to replace Puel way before he was sacked and I suspect the club and the owners assume Rodgers is here for the long term to develop young players.  So all you Rodgers haters....he's going nowhere soon.....I think?  I'm no big fan of Brenda's 'David Brent speak', but what is the alternative?

Maybe, but results always come first, a owner can have a plan, but it doesnt mean anything if the results dont happen.

I would rather be proven wrong, we keep Rodgers and have success with him, I dont hate him, so I dont appreciate been called a hater.  

We no liverpool, no man city, also we no celtic either where we can buy all of the league's best players. He isnt going to fix it by buying himself out of trouble, hes got to sort his tactical errors out and quickly.

Also if any players are demotivated, thats on the manager as well, thats where the buck stops sadly.

On 01/12/2019 at 18:29, Bryn said:

Inspired. Absolutely inspired. To see we needed Iheanacho on the field, I bet no-one at home was calling for it. Unbelievable manager.

On 01/12/2019 at 18:31, Col city fan said:

Why the fook any manager would even consider leaving this great young squad is beyond me

I so hope it’s all bollox

He’s even got Kelechi firing!

:chant:

On 01/12/2019 at 19:09, StriderHiryu said:

You could argue that the man of the match today was Brendan Rodgers. ...

Superb management and we are lucky to have him.

I have just randomly quoted three posts from around four months playing time ago; I didn't see any dissenting posts then. 

Contrast recent posts with those quoted shows how fickle some football fans are - many were wondering if a 'bigger' club would poach him; now some appear to want him sacked.

BR would probably admit to making some mistakes, getting some decisions wrong recently. What's important is what he learns from these. The players also share responsibility for recent performances which have been disappointing.

Let's see what reaction is to recent games and start of next season. I'm sure we will turn form around. 

7 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You need to find another forum mate objectiveness and balance will get you nowhere here 😂 

I was writing this when above popped up; perhaps it should - although controversy does make the forum interesting!

1 minute ago, winteriscoming said:

So you’d want him sacked if we don’t make CL? 

The answer to that is I dont know.

If he was sacked, lets just say I would understand the decision.

But I would probably also be ok with giving him at least a couple of months to see if the form is recovered.

It is a pretty big implosion to go from where we were to not making the CL.  We had a similar one I think under pearson in the championship, stuck with him and got promoted the following season.  So I do see it both ways, pearson is special though he seems to be able to recover from long bad runs.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

@ChrysalisFrom the last few posts i take it you would want to get rid of Brendan? If thats the case then thats your opinion be it right or wrong and its silly to argue over an opinion, so not gonna :P 

On some of the points you made, i can agree with you.. form has been getting worse from the new year compared to 2019, however one could argue that we were perhaps overachieving in this period and we are now where we should be. I don't think that is the whole case but i do think it comes into play somewhat. Losing Ricky P isn't doing us any favours either. 

I think the issue yourself and others alike are having, is the fact we are in 3rd place and in reach of CL and due to our current crap form we could bottle it and end the season in 6th 7th position? That in itself wouldnt be horrible but it would be very disappointing when we have been top 5 for most of the season. However i do think half a year really is way too early to be even considering getting a new manager, especially when you take into account the pandemic and how shitty the last few months have been not just for us but also the fitness and training of the squad.

I am still backing BR to sort this out and still optimistic we will get CL next season. The next few games will tell. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

The answer to that is I dont know.

If he was sacked, lets just say I would understand the decision.

But I would probably also be ok with giving him at least a couple of months to see if the form is recovered.

It is a pretty big implosion to go from where we were to not making the CL.  We had a similar one I think under pearson in the championship, stuck with him and got promoted the following season.  So I do see it both ways, pearson is special though he seems to be able to recover from long bad runs.

I think it’s a tough one to answer. If we didn’t make CL and got rid I don’t see any stand out candidates for the job. Unless you take a risk with a foreign manager. If we can get that first win then we’ll get in the CL. It’s just a case of when. Atm I’m struggling to see where our next win will come from. 

He is certainly talking better after this game, and there was a clear difference in the way we played 2 nd half. At least he is not claiming we played well, and says if we dont make Champions League it's because we have not been good enough.

I hope he can bring in the players to make a difference.

Guest An Sionnach

The rude awakening came when he thought he could outplay Man. City at their own game, not a good idea and of course the physical battering we took from Liverpool but more interestingly in the match against Norwich, they demonstrated that our attack could be blunted. Other managers have picked up on that and we haven't responded.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

Unfortunately seasons last longer than 6 months.

I take it Peter Taylor was a great manager then? he had a pretty good 6 months.

What? The comment I was responding to was questioning whether his lack of a playing career was an issue. I was making the point that it wasn't. If it was, the players wouldn't have responded from the start of his tenure- for 9 months they did.

What Peter Taylor has to do with that I've no idea.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
5 hours ago, Corky said:

Rodgers didn't seem to struggle to coach Luis Suarez.

Nor was his lack of a top playing career a problem from March to December last year.

I really doubt that Rodgers could teach Suarez anything about football , perhaps on pitch behaviour. It is true though that Rodgers has less playing experience than any of our recent managers . I think that's why he is so wound up in tactics, but sometimes over thinking doesn't get the job done you just have to let the players express themselves the way they are most comfortable with.