Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Ferguson was a pretty good striker actually back in the day when Rangers were good . This never played properly manager trend  began with Wenger and Erikson . They always had experienced players as deputies , Rodgers doesn't.

No because Kolo Toure had a ****ing awful career didn’t he. 

27 minutes ago, Apollo said:

clueless 

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

"Only winning more games is making him look better than our last manager".

You dont have to agree. But bottling the Champions League from a 15 point head start with less than half a season to go, bottling a two-legged semi-final against the worst team in the league, instilling a weak, loser mentality in the squad and being so utterly one-dimensional that any old prat of a manager can turn up and do a job on us are not issues that are mitigated because we beat a few of the bottom half teams in a row 8 months ago.

Time will do its thing. Him and Congerton are not good for this club and in my opinion, they should go and soon, because they will cause lasting damage.

If I'm wrong, I will happily revisit this and hold my hands up. But we've been here before.

Just now, ealingfox said:

You dont have to agree. But bottling the Champions League from a 15 point head start with less than half a season to go, bottling a two-legged semi-final against the worst team in the league, instilling a weak, loser mentality in the squad and being so utterly one-dimensional that any old prat of a manager can turn up and do a job on us are not issues that are mitigated because we beat a few of the bottom half teams in a row 8 months ago.

Time will do its thing. Him and Congerton are not good for this club and in my opinion, they should go and soon, because they will cause lasting damage.

If I'm wrong, I will happily revisit this and hold my hands up. But we've been here before.

When?

Other than when we won the league, when have we ever been 3rd after 32 games?

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Manini said:

No because Kolo Toure had a ****ing awful career didn’t he. 

Kolo Toure is defensive coach,  not part of the management team and we do not have a problem with our defence. When Guardiola and Lampard talk football skill and technique they command respect.

The fear I have is that if we don't turn this round before the end of the season then we might start off poorly next season.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked needs to have a word though, we need to give him more time to put his own stamp onto the squad. He can start by signing a decent bloody winger, we've only needed one for 2 years now.

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

When?

Other than when we won the league, when have we ever been 3rd after 32 games?

Not what I meant, but if you insist on being like that we finished 2nd in 1928/29.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Kolo Toure is defensive coach,  not part of the management team and we do not have a problem with our defence. When Guardiola and Lampard talk football skill and technique they command respect.

If a player won't listen to a manager or coach because of lack of actual playing experience, they're probably an arsehole. Having playing experience in no way correlates to being a decent manager, Gary Neville is your example. 

I was glad to see Brendan actually show some emotion at the drinks break and his post match interview. Honesty and also admitting what they need to all do. Nowhere to hide now for the players or him as he said the results were his responsibility. Hopefully the massive kick up the bum will spur them all on. They showed periods of play that proves they can do it and he has admitted it's mentality and it being a young team.

Time to grow up lads and show what you are capable of doing! 

Edited by Hales

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

I think he deserves to be called shit for producing 4 wins from our last 16 games in the league. Only a run of very good form through a series of favourable fixtures in October and November is making him look any better than Puel at this stage.

He's not as shit as Levein, Holloway or Worthington if that makes you feel better though.

yeah you start to realise it's beating mid table dross that has made it look better than it is. doubles of newcastle, west ham and villa, then a bumped up GD thanks to 10 man southampton. not beaten any of the sides around us. had some luck with the spurs game earlier in the season and facing arsenal under unai emery. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

You have to remember that neither Rodgers nor his assistant manager have any substantial playing CV at all. They are in no position to tell the players how to play football , tactics are all they have . Guardiola , Lampard and Solksjar were top class players and as good or better than most of the players under them. Players can soon lose respect for a manager who has never done it themselves.

Think that argument is total rubbish tbh. There are countless managers in the modern game and in the history of football who’ve had average playing careers. 

Klopp was a very average player throughout his career. Never played in the European Cup 

Brendan is not a “shit” manager. He is good manager who gets results from good players. 

The problem he has got is that the team is good but the squad is not. We all know that. He got the best out of the team. However, like any team, you have a downward curve except the team that usually wins the league. When you are going for top ten, top 8 or even top 6, the performance of the team on the upward curve usually papers over the cracks (we still very much a top 6 side). When you’re going for Europe’s most elite competition, you need a level of performance consistently at a level which is very hard to maintain with 12/13 players.

This is the problem and the only problem. When players have lost form, got injured etc. The replacement is probably half the level of them - the team subsequently loses the consistency level required i.e. Ndidi getting injured, now Riccy P. Decent players replaced them but not top 4 level players. 

Unless you spend like Man C it takes time to build a squad of that capability. We would be foolish to let Brendan go without building that squad given where he has taken the team. He has had 18 months for god sake. 

We are in safe hands and will be stronger as a team and better as a squad after the summer. For now though, we need to scrape a win or two. 

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Think that argument is total rubbish tbh. There are countless managers in the modern game and in the history of football who’ve had average playing careers. 

Klopp was a very average player throughout his career. Never played in the European Cup 

Rodgers played for Newbury Town , Chris Davies hardly played at all.

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

Rubbish. Alex Ferguson had a mediocre playing career. Jose Mourinho started as an interpreter for Bobby Robson. I don't think Jürgen Klopp had a particularly great playing career either. There will be literally hundreds more examples, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

There's also plenty of top class players failing abysmally as managers 3 that instantly spring to mind are Frank McLintock, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton

1 minute ago, davieG said:

There's also plenty of top class players failing abysmally as managers 3 that instantly spring to mind are Frank McLintock, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton

Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Alan Shearer, Gary Neville, Stuart Pearce etc

• Like 1

The only comfort I’m finding is this is his first full season in charge and we’re finding out the limitations with our players and squad from a lofty position, rather than it dropping us in serious shit.

Rodgers has been both naive and stubborn recently though, we can moan all we like about the players but basically everybody in the league is more dangerous than us right now. We don’t have the capability to play poorly and still win which suggests a soft underbelly to me.

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers played for Newbury Town , Chris Davies hardly played at all.

Mourinho similar career. Arrigo Sacchi never played. Arsène Wenger professional career of 11 games. I can keep on going. Gerard Houiller. 

59 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Well, Klopp never made it to the Bundesliga as a player and spent his pro career at Mainz in the 2nd Liga. I guess the likes of VvD, Mané, Salah, Hummels, Götze, Coutinho never gave a flying one about what he says in the dressing room.

Rodgers was first choice to replace Puel way before he was sacked and I suspect the club and the owners assume Rodgers is here for the long term to develop young players.  So all you Rodgers haters....he's going nowhere soon.....I think?  I'm no big fan of Brenda's 'David Brent speak', but what is the alternative?

@jeffschlupp said:

Tactically he is a top manager. There are lots of players that have grown in this side. Ndidi and Soyuncu in particular are now very decent ball players. Morgan and Fuchs are more competent on the ball. Vardy is a much more well rounded player when he's on form. He's got a tune out of Iheanacho. He's moulded Maddison from a no.10 into a position where he can influence the game from deep where he is best. And so on.

...what you are describing is a good man manager, nothing to do with tactics!!

being a skilful player does not make you a good manager. there are many who have natural talent with the ball but totally lack the intelligence to read the game or the leadership qualities of a good man manager. Some may be brilliant coaches but not managers (Shakey comes to mind). You see this in all sorts of professions, being  a great surgeon for example does not mean you can run a hospital. I think the days of the Cloughs and Fergies are gone, that's why we have head coaches and directors of football to look after the transfer and contracts side of things. Obviously the manager must have input into the types of player that they need to suit their systems etc.

On another point, i keep reading how Rodgers has no plan B etc, is stubborn in his ways and so forth, but when he does try to shake things up he gets berated for changing the side/system. Not saying that his selection for the Brighton game was a good one but nobody can deny that he did not try something different. With the lack of serious quality we have in depth he is limited in what he can do. A football managers lot is not an easy one. Every one of us is an armchair manager and has their favourite players/combinations and tactics etc and when we fail to win then those people will resort to the keyboards to say it is all the managers fault for picking/dropping xyz, not playing what they think should be the system. It is a results business and they will ultimately stand or fall by their decisions but we should look at it objectively and not simply resort to criticism when things do not happen as we would like.

Ultimately time will tell how good/bad a manager is but let us not become entitled and match our expectations to reality. Regardless of what happens for the rest of this season, we need to see what the summer brings in terms of new recruits (bearing in mind that it is not the managers fault if we fail to sign Messi or Ronaldo because we cannot afford them) and kick on from there. If the club provide the resources and results are then poor that is the time to rethink the situation.