Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

We’re about to head into an almost unprecedented recession that King Power are not immune from.

This is a real point. 

King Power is a travel retail firm. 

The airlines are in big trouble already, and the duty free players can't be far behind

I can handle losing or drawing when the team is set up to win and tries their absolute hardest every game to fight for those 3 points. What I can’t abide is setting up to avoid losing. It’s an extremely negative mentality and since the restart its evident that the team and management are in a place where they feel like they cannot take any risks for fear of losing.

It happened with Puel, once that fear creeps in its hard to get rid of. A big shock like a change of manager works for a while but the fear always finds a way back. I thought Rodgers was the man to change this around as he had something to prove but i’m starting to worry that its same old same old. The fear has crept back in and sadly the manager is just not capable of turning things around.

I want to be wrong but having a 3 month break should have been a golden opportunity to readjust and sort themselves out mentally but they’ve come back even worse than before the break and mentally they are declining with each passing game. Rodgers has to take his share of the blame, if he can’t figure this out in 3 months then he can never figure it out. 

Its too early to say if its time to sack him but recent history suggests that things will only be downhill from here. 

• Like 1

He is quite simply the best manager that we are currently capable of attracting to the club.

He’s having an awful patch, and isn’t looking good in it. But he’s our manager, and we won’t get better any time soon.

Give him time and support.

Not my words, this is a post match cut and paste opinion from 'CaughtOffside' after the match which I thought was quite interesting and presumably not a Leicester City supporter's view:

Opinion: Leicester have a huge decision to make over Brendan Rodgers as the inevitable crash has arrived.

Brendan Rodgers has built a very good reputation based on what he can achieve at a club in his opening season, but history has shown that he is not a manager who can stay at a club for a long time.

It’s not clear why his teams always crash after an initial period of success – perhaps the players get sick of his smug faux-intelligence or it’s also possible that he just can’t adapt when other managers figure out how to nullify his teams.

He did well to move to Liverpool from Swansea when his stock was still high, but he’s been living off that ever since, and there’s a clear pattern that’s emerged.

He comes in and introduces a positive style of play, the fans buy into his bizarre soundbites ( Claiming a Rangers fan came up to him and thanked him for being a breath of fresh air is the pinnacle of things that just didn’t happen) and everything looks rosy.

Unfortunately after a year things start to slide, results will go against his team and he doesn’t know how to fix it, and the players will stop buying into his methods when it doesn’t result in success.

It was often said his good season at Liverpool happened because he accidentally stumbled on the diamond formation with Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge linking to great effect, but he didn’t have any answers when Sterling left.

His time at Celtic looks better because they had zero competition, but again his team stopped playing for him, other sides figured out how to play against him and he left before things had a chance to go wrong.

Once the slide starts he’s yet to find a way to reverse it

Finally it’s happening again at Leicester – the loss to Everton today means they are in serious danger of dropping out of the top four – just months after they looked set to stroll to a third place finish and Champions League football.

They are now only three points clear of Wolves in 6th spot and still have tough games coming up against Man United, Spurs, Crystal Palace, Arsenal and Sheffield United, so the fans must be worried.

It seems churlish to say that Leicester should look for alternatives this summer after the start that he had – but if this slide continues for the rest of this season then they are gambling on him suddenly finding a way of turning things round – something he’s yet to do in his career.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just suffering due to not injecting fresh blood in to the squad to build on a great start. Wide man and target man missing. 

I think Morgan and Fuchs staying is baffling if they expect to be playing next season. 

We need to cull half this squad and start again in my opinion. Too much down tooling. I think Brendan said before lock down they have only worked with the same set of players since getting the job. I think he is desperate to put his mark on the squad. I only hope it is not Taylor Mk II. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Just suffering due to not injecting fresh blood in to the squad to build on a great start. Wide man and target man missing. 

I think Morgan and Fuchs staying is baffling if they expect to be playing next season. 

We need to cull half this squad and start again in my opinion. Too much down tooling. I think Brendan said before lock down they have only worked with the same set of players since getting the job. I think he is desperate to put his mark on the squad. I only hope it is not Taylor Mk II. 

Unfortunately his transfer record at times has been a bit like King Midas in reverse,  everything he touches turns to shit. Our own scouting network in recent times on the other hand has been very good so why change it? If he's such a brilliant coach then he should be able to work with what he's given. He inherited a very good and talented already assembled young squad which was no doubt a big selling point to him. I think our own staffs success in the transfer market outways his and Congertons record in recent times. Have our current players showed significant improvement under his tutelage and tactics or, has it remained the same or worsened?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Unfortunately his transfer record at times has been a bit like King Midas in reverse,  everything he touches turns to shit. Our own scouting network in recent times on the other hand has been very good so why change it? If he's such a brilliant coach then he should be able to work with what he's given. He inherited a very good and talented already assembled young squad which was no doubt a big selling point to him. I think our own staffs success in the transfer market outways his and Congertons record in recent times. Have our current players showed significant improvement under his tutelage and tactics or, has it remained the same or worsened?

Good question.

Going through the main players in the squad.

Kasper - Yes. Better this season than last.

Ricardo - No. About equally good

Evans - Ditto.

Soyuncu- Better but inexperieced last season

Chilwell. Probably better.

Perez- Hard to say but better for Newcastle

N'Didi- Better but used all wrong before B-Rod last season.

Maddison - About the same.

Barnes - On a dire run of form of late but similar to Cags.

Tielemans - Was only around for 2 matches so hard to say. Likely better.

Vardy - Better but that wouldn't be hard after Claude.

Gray - About the same.

Kevin- On the decline sadly.

Nacho- Better. The most improved player arguably.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

He's basically a mid-table manager and not so long ago that would have been fine. We are a top half club but we need a lot more work to become a top six regular. There are 38 games in a season and maintaining top six form over that period is still beyond us. We have got to be patient it could take a few years until we can seriously challenge for a top six place every season.

Edited by An Sionnach

Anyone seeing a pattern here... we get a new manager, become Barcelona for a few weeks / months and then go back to being shit?

It’s easy to blame the players, but if you look a little closer, since we won the league, I think the pattern goes like this... new manger comes in, takes a while assessing and getting to know the players. During this period the team has more freedom to play the way they want and we look unstoppable. Manger is now settled in and is ready to make his mark on the club so starts changing the way we play.

Suddenly we look nothing like the team that was banging in goals for fun just a few month ago. Instead our style and tactics become increasingly negative but the manage continues with their new approach. We offer zero threat in front of goal, our form gets worse, the players can see the new style isn’t working and start to loose interest. At this point the manger is loosing control so we begin to see bizarre team selections and subs. Manager is sacked, players get labelled snakes. Rinse, rave, repeat. 

Every team needs to evolve, but if the new way doesn’t work, go back to the style that was workinguntil you’re able to recruit the right players for the new system. Since winning the league, rather than go back to what was successful, all our managers have decided to make changes and stick by an approach that clearly wasn’t right. 

In the space of weeks we went from being ruthless and winning 0-9, to only being able to pass the ball backwards and sideways. This current system isn’t working, we need to drop it and go back to what we were doing before December.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Good question.

Going through the main players in the squad.

Kasper - Yes. Better this season than last.

Ricardo - No. About equally good

Evans - Ditto.

Soyuncu- Better but inexperieced last season

Chilwell. Probably better.

Perez- Hard to say but better for Newcastle

N'Didi- Better but used all wrong before B-Rod last season.

Maddison - About the same.

Barnes - On a dire run of form of late but similar to Cags.

Tielemans - Was only around for 2 matches so hard to say. Likely better.

Vardy - Better but that wouldn't be hard after Claude.

Gray - About the same.

Kevin- On the decline sadly.

Nacho- Better. The most improved player arguably.

Yes I think I'd agree with most of that, particularly Nacho though the jury is out for me with Vardy. Arguably Rodgers insistance that Vardy curtails the amount of running he does to supposedly conserve energy has been detrimental to both him and the team as a whole. I think that it was precisely Vardy's natural aggressive and high energy game that caused defensive fear and errors in the opposition. Together with a similar amount movement and pressing by our other forward players, this led to mistakes and opportunities. Rodgers playing out from the back style is both lethargic and has essentially neuted Vardy's explosive game. By the time the ball gets anywhere near the halfway line Vardy is marked. His record would show that he didn't really need much coaching, just the ball in the right areas at the right time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, shailen said:

Absolutely this. We look very predictable and easy to play against. You can't coach a player through every situation, sometimes a player has to take responsibility. 

I'm starting to wonder if Brendan views himself as being equal to Pep; the latter is known to coach his players meticulously, but he gets results. In our case, we look one dimensional, passing from the back with no real aim or focus, poor ball retention whenever we step out of our own half, wide players without a clue, and so on. The rut we're in is one I believe we can get out of, but it's dependant on Brendan's willingness to adapt his own approaches to the game.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

What exactly is it in his past that leads anyone to believe he's a fantastic coach? Apart from winning a one team league he's never actually achieved anything to even suggest that. Arguably as soon as Gerrard took over Rangers he started to look vulnerable there as well.

...I had the very same thought!!!

Gerrard just had to be half decent in order to challenge Celtic and with the chance to get back in the Premiership with the wages and a young team to coach and develop, Leicester was an opportunity he could not afford to miss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Always amuses me when football managers become victims of their own success.

Agreed, BR has us in 3rd and we are in a tricky situation no doubt but if we were around 7th and spent the whole season being inconsistent there probably wouldn’t be all these big calls being made by everyone. 

Terrible form of course but building a team takes time, often years, so patience is necessary, he’s only been here for a year after all. 

5 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

It's far too early to talk about sacking him.

Rodgers is one of the best man managers in the league. Puel did the right job at the right time for us in difficult circumstances, but we needed the guy after him to put an arm round some shoulders and command respect. The senior players and young alike are all on his side.

He is a manager that has learned from his failures. He doesn't drop Brent soundbites anymore. He has made lots of changes in his career to his style, whether that's in terms of who he works with, how hands on he is, how his teams approach the game, or how he handles egos. He won't sign Balotellis, or make ridiculous statements like those about Allen, or do the envelope stuff, or whatever.

Tactically he is a top manager. There are lots of players that have grown in this side. Ndidi and Soyuncu in particular are now very decent ball players. Morgan and Fuchs are more competent on the ball. Vardy is a much more well rounded player when he's on form. He's got a tune out of Iheanacho. He's moulded Maddison from a no.10 into a position where he can influence the game from deep where he is best. And so on.

Recruitment is not his job. And he has learned from Liverpool there too - by bringing in a head of recruitment, he is leaving that to someone else (and a very good DoF in Rudkin). He knows what player he wants, but he isn't going to interfere based on his own, probably inferior and misguided thoughts on which exact player he wants.

Kasper said before Chelsea the club have the best possible manager available. That's enough for me. 

He does have problems. He is steadfast in his approach, but then so is Guardiola, and nobody would turn him down. Do we have a plan B? Sometimes yes, we've got goals off the bench (like tonight) even despite the supposed lack of options. We'll improve in that regard when we bring in more quality options - remember, only 4 of this 25 man squad are players Rodgers didn't inherit, and one of those hasn't even played a minute yet.

This is not a top four squad. But we're 3rd with six games to go. We've had some good games even despite the bad run since December - we were good to excellent against West Ham twice, Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea among others. We have dominated all three league games since the restart and really should have took more points.

This season we've had our best cup runs for 20 years. We've had our second best league season since the 1960s, breaking tons of records. We could well have a golden boot winner here. We've scored 60+ goals, played some great football, kept it tight at the back despite losing the world's most expensive defender, won 8 on the bounce.

And even despite some poor form and some mistakes from both players and management, it is still all in our hands to finish in the top 3/4/5. Six games is all it takes. Match the results of the chasing pack in the next five games and we are there.

Wolves and United are on ridiculous runs of form. Neither will win all 6 games remaining. And if somehow they do, we don't really deserve to finish above them unless we do the same.

I haven't had faith in a manager as I do in Rodgers for a long time. And that's because I think the players and the owners have that faith too.

Understand your argument but I have to disagree. In my opinion BR is an excellent coach but I don't think he is a good manager. I don't understand his lineups, tactics and substitutions. Also we are so predictable under him. There is no denying that by the time teams came to play us again they had us sussed and adjusted. 

We constantly played out from the back passing back and forth until we could play it to either Chilly or Ricky P. If you notice teams just double up on them to prevent them getting forward now. Now with Ricky P injured we really have no one to carry the ball out from the back. Unfortunately JJ cannot pass a ball or cross a ball to save his life. We constantly stick to the same tactics even when it is obviously not working. Why oh why do we bring on Albrighton  to swing balls in from the wing with no height in the box. Often when the ball is passed out to Vardy wide to chase no one is in the box. Really frustrating. Also when Barnes get to the byline he just crossed the ball into the box directly to a defender. Never does he look up for a team mate. Each game it is the same way of playing. A couple of Liverpool supporters I know told me at the beginning of the season that BR has only one way to play and when not working doesn't know how to change. They believe the only reason they almost won the league under BR was Suarez carrying the team. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not my words, this is a post match cut and paste opinion from 'CaughtOffside' after the match which I thought was quite interesting and presumably not a Leicester City supporter's view:

Opinion: Leicester have a huge decision to make over Brendan Rodgers as the inevitable crash has arrived.

Brendan Rodgers has built a very good reputation based on what he can achieve at a club in his opening season, but history has shown that he is not a manager who can stay at a club for a long time.

It’s not clear why his teams always crash after an initial period of success – perhaps the players get sick of his smug faux-intelligence or it’s also possible that he just can’t adapt when other managers figure out how to nullify his teams.

He did well to move to Liverpool from Swansea when his stock was still high, but he’s been living off that ever since, and there’s a clear pattern that’s emerged.

He comes in and introduces a positive style of play, the fans buy into his bizarre soundbites ( Claiming a Rangers fan came up to him and thanked him for being a breath of fresh air is the pinnacle of things that just didn’t happen) and everything looks rosy.

Unfortunately after a year things start to slide, results will go against his team and he doesn’t know how to fix it, and the players will stop buying into his methods when it doesn’t result in success.

It was often said his good season at Liverpool happened because he accidentally stumbled on the diamond formation with Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge linking to great effect, but he didn’t have any answers when Sterling left.

His time at Celtic looks better because they had zero competition, but again his team stopped playing for him, other sides figured out how to play against him and he left before things had a chance to go wrong.

Once the slide starts he’s yet to find a way to reverse it

Finally it’s happening again at Leicester – the loss to Everton today means they are in serious danger of dropping out of the top four – just months after they looked set to stroll to a third place finish and Champions League football.

They are now only three points clear of Wolves in 6th spot and still have tough games coming up against Man United, Spurs, Crystal Palace, Arsenal and Sheffield United, so the fans must be worried.

It seems churlish to say that Leicester should look for alternatives this summer after the start that he had – but if this slide continues for the rest of this season then they are gambling on him suddenly finding a way of turning things round – something he’s yet to do in his career.

Written by....

Posted by 

Tom McNeil

13 hours ago

Follow @scoutscottish

So a Scot by all accounts bet he doesn't have an axe to grind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If he wants to stay. He needs to clear out whoever the bad apples are in the squad. If there are any.

Start by dropping them now, we arent going to win another game this season so play the players that want to play for him. Drop the rest. I dont care who it is anymore, if there is a player power issue, get them gone.

Doesnt look like a player power issue to me, looks tactical.

There is a few players playing below par, barnes, vardy the two obvious one's, but I dont think he has lost the team, I just think he hasnt a clue what he is doing.

Anyone who is insistent on Lee Congerton joining them at clubs despite his track record clearly cannot be any sort of football maestro or genius.

Rodgers is basically an overpromoted office middle manager with a very noticeable fraudulent streak and he should go at the end of the season.

When will this club learn to stop handing out new contracts willy-nilly and for no reason? Its absurd.

• Like 1