Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Chilwell

Felt for him defensively because he was exposed all game against two very good players.

But that is no excuse for his inability to pick out a blue shirt in the opposition half. 

I can't believe people want to play Justin at left back over Chilwell. His weak flank! Yes he played there before, in League 1. And anyway, you've never seen him play a team that isn't League 2! I really don't understand this clamour to drop Chilwell. Fuchs I can almost understand, sentimental people who just want a good cross ignoring the fact that Fuchs is gassed every time he plays, but Justin?

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think they went with Chilly for his ‘ pace’ He’s faster than Fuchs anyhow and Manè is rapid.

Given, but a bit of nous can overcome those things. Also, if passes are getting completed, maybe Mane doesn't get to run at you so much.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Got some harsh criticism today but because of the system we played he had no protection in front of him for the majority of the game.

He had to deal with both Mane and Salah and we were seemingly contempt allowing TAA to run up and down that wing unchallenged. 

A tough afternoon for Ben but it was more down to tactics rather than his own individual performance. He will improve once we switch back to 4-1-4-1 and play with proper wingers.

What system does work for him......

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Given, but a bit of nous can overcome those things. Also, if passes are getting completed, many be Mane doesn't get to run at you so much.

i would have gone for a back 5 and played through the middle a bit more. that’s what got us our goal... we were never going to get success from balls into the box with our front 3 and  VVD

The asymmetrical shape wasn't great for him or Maddison, and it's worth noting that both full backs had a tough time. It's understandable to a point. He's still a great prospect and the season is very young, so we can chalk this down to a blip in form more than anything longer-term.

That said, Chilwell was dreadful in the first 15 and even though he got on the ball a lot second half his end product was terrible, not for the first time. I appreciate that we don't want to devalue our assets, but there'll have to come a point where we ask ourselves whether it's worth him taking on such an advanced role, or even being considered a shoo-in for the first team.

As for alternatives, Fuchs was an able deputy though his lack of pace presents its problems, and both Justin and Pereira have played plenty of games in that slot in spite of it being their 'wrong side' (maybe Justin is an option off the bench when Chilwell is struggling as much as today, I don't know).

But the most obvious way forward has to be for Chilwell to simply sort himself out. He's been our poorest performer of late and actually looks out of his depth, which we all know he isn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry96 said:

He’s such a Bomb scare . One of the worst performances I’ve ever seen today. Amount of times he had lost possession was mind boggling 

One of the worst performances you’ve ever seen? When did you start supporting us? Yesterday? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

He didn’t exactly help the situation. His continual loss of possession helped Liverpool’s fast breaks and he didn’t create anything going forward.

Yeah but that side of the pitch, he was isolated on.

Imo he really misses Maguire as he used to pass Chilwell the ball quite high up the pitch but Soyuncu passes it deep and it's a fair distance to get it to maddison who does not like receiving it down the line. I think Albrighton playing there would be good for him as he always gives an option but it's not necessarily the style we are trying to play. 

14 hours ago, knitro said:

Mane ran around him all day.

He was still better defensively today that he was as an attacker.

He needs to spend some time just working on crossing the ball accurately.

14 hours ago, ttfn said:

Felt for him defensively because he was exposed all game against two very good players.

But that is no excuse for his inability to pick out a blue shirt in the opposition half. 

I agree.

Our set up left him exposed. Chilwell looks better if he has some help on the left flank and playing Maddison there leaves him over exposed, even more so when you have fast and very skillful players on that side. Even against Newcastle he looked very vulnerable until Albrighton came on who tracked back and supported. Then his game, and confidence, picked up

His passing and crossing yesterday was very poor for an England international.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FIF said:

Agreed, he was never ripped by an attacker today. Yet he looked lost down that flank until the 60th onwards when the whole team came to life. 

He needs to work on his delivery of the ball and his ability to take on a player and over lap 

• Like 1

Heard him speaking on 5 live (I think it was) yesterday and he said how Brendan has instructed him to come inside more and not stick to the touchline. Personally think he's much better when he stays out wide and uses his athleticism to get up and down the pitch and carry the ball.

I don’t like bashing players, especially academy products, but Chilly has been consistently poor so far this season. It’s like he’s taken a step backwards, I don’t think he’s particularly comfortable being asked to play out from the back, he tends to panic whenever he receives the ball in tight areas. He’s good at breaking forward, but then offers little once he gets there. If Fuchs was a few years younger he would be on the team sheet every time over chilly, and I think Fuchs can feel hard done by for being dropped so quickly. There’s a lot Chillwell has to work on to get up to speed, he ended last season well, but this season, so far he has been nothing short of naff. I like the lad, but he’s got to step up. 

56 minutes ago, FIF said:

Most annoying thing about chillys crossing arent the ones where he has to make a pinpoint cross, with perfect height and pace whilst sprinting. Its the ones where he's near the edge of the box and just needs to pick out a blue shirt and keep the ball on the floor. Never see him pick his head up and look. Usually Every single one gets blocked by the first man.

Needs to improve on all aspects of his game.  The good thing is that the squad is so young that the ceiling of improvement is very high.  Crazy to think that we are all disappointed not to come away from the European Champions with some points....If we keep this group together, just imagine what we can do in 2 or 3 years time!!!  Exciting.

It's getting more evident of his tendency to be pegged in and not knowing or having confidence to get out, often launching a ball and giving away possession instead. Maybe not having a natural left wide player isn't helping.

He has time and room to grow but really staggering hes becoming Englands main left back given all this?