Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

In hindsight I can't believe him and Madders went off to Dubai for a jolly when there are so many flaws in his (and even Madders) game right now. 

Chilwell should have been analysing his performances and working on improvements rather than downing Grey Goose and Bollinger for a week. 

I get the impression he doesn't quite realise how lucky he is to be in the position he is and I have a feeling he'll be crashing back down to earth with a bang in the not to distant future, probably costing us £30m in potential transfer fees as a club.

The real sporting stars in the world (Lebron James to mention just one) is an example of someone who has all the talent in the world but the amount of work he puts in behind the scenes is frightening and the thought of him having a couple of weeks off and going out on the lash would not even enter his mind, especially if he hit a poor run of form. That is every thing he is not.

I know a lot of people on here will reply back to this and be like "they deserve a break" or " what they do in their time is up to them" (as I got the impression that was the vibe from the original thread...) but I feel it's really a worrying indication of their professional mindset and I question the culture we're building at the club if no one pulled him to the side and said "Chilly, rather than going abroad, can we do some work on not ruining your career, please?"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

In hindsight I can't believe him and Madders went off to Dubai for a jolly when there are so many flaws in his (and even Madders) game right now. 

Chilwell should have been analysing his performances and working on improvements rather than downing Grey Goose and Bollinger for a week. 

I get the impression he doesn't quite realise how lucky he is to be in the position he is and I have a feeling he'll be crashing back down to earth with a bang in the not to distant future, probably costing us £30m in potential transfer fees as a club.

The real sporting stars in the world (Lebron James to mention just one) is an example of someone who has all the talent in the world but the amount of work he puts in behind the scenes is frightening and the thought of him having a couple of weeks off and going out on the lash would not even enter his mind, especially if he hit a poor run of form. That is every thing he is not.

I know a lot of people on here will reply back to this and be like "they deserve a break" or " what they do in their time is up to them" (as I got the impression that was the vibe from the original thread...) but I feel it's really a worrying indication of their professional mindset and I question the culture we're building at the club if no one pulled him to the side and said "Chilly, rather than going abroad, can we do some work on not ruining your career, please?"

Firstly, he's hardly ruined his career going to Dubai has he?

Secondly, how do you know extra work wasn't done aside from what you see in the papers? Aside from the Dubai trip, how do you know what was done in the break? How do you know he wasn't staying behind in training with analysts about his performances and where to improve?

Thirdly, of course you'll get posters saying they can do what they like in their free time because that is essentially what the break is/was for. I'm sure it would have been signed off, per se, by the club and it's not like they've gone AWOL or without permission. 

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Firstly, he's hardly ruined his career going to Dubai has he?

Secondly, how do you know extra work wasn't done aside from what you see in the papers? Aside from the Dubai trip, how do you know what was done in the break? How do you know he wasn't staying behind in training with analysts about his performances and where to improve?

Thirdly, of course you'll get posters saying they can do what they like in their free time because that is essentially what the break is/was for. I'm sure it would have been signed off, per se, by the club and it's not like they've gone AWOL or without permission. 

Well if he is been doing work with analysts it's even more of a worrying situation than I first thought as he looks as bad as ever.

It's fine to accept that they went away to Dubai if you're of the mindset that demanding the very best from a player isn't necessarily important. 

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Well if he is been doing work with analysts it's even more of a worrying situation than I first thought as he looks as bad as ever.

It's fine to accept that they went away to Dubai if you're of the mindset that demanding the very best from a player isn't necessarily important. 

Well, as bad as ever is obviously an exaggeration so maybe that needs to change?

Maybe I can demand the very best from a player but also realise they need a break and are allowed it.

Another point - if there were absolutely no leaked pictures/social media posts, you'd be none the wiser. 

People overrate him just because he’s one of our own.

Average going forward, average defensively and he’s been like that the majority of the season.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, if there’s one player in this squad that I’d like to see us cash in on it’s Chilwell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kingfox said:

People overrate him just because he’s one of our own.

Average going forward, average defensively and he’s been like that the majority of the season.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, if there’s one player in this squad that I’d like to see us cash in on it’s Chilwell.

For the money we are likely to command i agree. 

Im making a few assumptions that we have 5 first team players likely subject to big interest in the summer and that we would only sell 1 if we qualify for the Champions League. I'd hate to lose Ndidi, Ricardo or Soyuncu, id dislike losing Maddison, I'd be indifferent to Chilwell. 

A bit like last summer where we all felt Maguire was the asset we'd cope best with losing, it feels like that with Chilwell at the moment. 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Just now, martyn said:

For the money we are likely to command i agree. 

Im making an assumption that we have 5 players likely subject to big interest in the summer and that we would only sell 1 if we qualify for the Champions League. I'd hate to lose Ndidi, Ricardo or Soyuncu, id dislike losing Maddison, I'd be indifferent to Chilwell. 

A bit like last summer where we all felt Maguire was the asset we'd cope best with losing, it feels like that with Chilwell at the moment. 

We had ample replacement for Maguire so the loss was easier to adjust and cope with.

Who would replace Chilwell?

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We had ample replacement for Maguire so the loss was easier to adjust and cope with.

There is about 15 better left backs in the league (even if we ignore outside of this country) so work our way through the list to find an agreeable deal.

Edited by shanetko

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A new signing and money left to spare. 

My position is based on a view that we are likely to lose 1 of those 5 this summer. 

Chilwell is the least impactful of those, and would still presumably command a big fee. 

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

A new signing and money left to spare. 

My position is based on a view that we are likely to lose 1 of those 5 this summer. 

Chilwell is the least impactful of those, and would still presumably command a big fee. 

Happy to agree with that - he's less indispensable than other players in the squad for sure.

It's so frustrating that he is constantly blamed for everything that goes wrong. He played no worse than anyone else. There is a great player in there. He has had some fantastic performances for us and England. He is clearly a confidence player and has struggled with this the last few months. If your confidence goes your mental health suffers and you make poor decisions. They are clearly working with him and Brendan said they were providing a pathway for him and his performances have improved. I hope he flourishes at the euros as he normally does for england and comes back tougher next season. Physically he is strong and fast so clearly it's more mental.  They are a young team who have been mid table until this year and have been amazing to get to third and champions league. I hope we can keep the team together and they continue on their journey as there is a bright future. They are all experiencing new challenges, pressures and expectations which is challenging for them all but together they will be fine. They seem a tight group and the main positive thing I took away from yesterday was how they worked for one another and as a team.  

I'm proud of them all! 

Edited by Hales
  • Like 2

Just now, StanSP said:

Name them. 

Ok I'll do that by club.

Arsenal: Tierney

Aston Villa: None

Bournemouth: None

Brighton: None

Burnley: None

Chelsea: Alonso, Emerson

Crystal Palace: Van Aanholt

Everton: Digne

Liverpool: Robertson

Man City: Mendy, Zinchenko

Man Utd: Shaw

Newcastle: Rose

Norwich: None

Sheff Utd: Stevens

Southampton: Bertrand

Tottenham: Davies

Watford: None

West Ham: None

Wolves: Jonny

Deepest apologies. Only 14. 

Fuchs was at fault for the only goal of the game.

Chilly just does one or two Schluppesque things per game - like let the ball under his foot to go for a throw instead of simply controlling ti, or just dribbling into touch ..... Despite those couple of silly errors per game he's a very good wing back / full back..... better than many give him credit for.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Surprised he's getting the blame for the goal. 

Fuchs sticks with Jesus and there's no pass for Mahrez to make.

Other players could have gone towards Mahrez and at least not made it as easy for him to jog through, not just Chilwell.

Don't think he played badly. Certainly shouldn't be getting any more stick than any other players. Several times he got forward as a wing-back would, especially 2nd half, but was quickly surrounded by Man City players and/or had no options to pass. Then when he turned back there were moans and groans. Literally no other option for him sometimes.

Agreed, but you forget that it's fashionable to knock Chilwell. I too thought he had a decent game yesterday. Did he make any mistakes? Yes he did, as did every other player on the pitch during a game that at times was played at a hell of a pace. Jesus was down to Fuchs but, he also had a decent game notwithstanding that I personally think his positioning at centre half has always been suspect but, he was asked to do that job. Man City unsurprisingly are streets ahead of us. The game went to the form book, that wasn't a surprise either but nevertheless I thought in the circumstances we made a decent fist of it. No real complaints from me.

2 minutes ago, shanetko said:

Ok I'll do that by club.

Arsenal: Tierney

Aston Villa: None

Bournemouth: None

Brighton: None

Burnley: None

Chelsea: Alonso, Emerson

Crystal Palace: Van Aanholt

Everton: Digne

Liverpool: Robertson

Man City: Mendy, Zinchenko

Man Utd: Shaw

Newcastle: Rose

Norwich: None

Sheff Utd: Stevens

Southampton: Bertrand

Tottenham: Davies

Watford: None

West Ham: None

Wolves: Jonny

Deepest apologies. Only 14. 

Out of those, the only ones that I would class as better are probably Robertson, Digne, Tierney (who's barely even played this season), Jonny, Mendy and Zinchenko.

Shaw, Rose, Van Aanholt, Davies, Bertrand - I will disagree. 

Enda Stevens - undecided. Benefits a lot with how Sheff Utd play. In another side, not sure what he'll be like.

Alonso and Emerson have been heavily criticised by Chelsea fans. They've want them replaced for a while. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The hugging and kissing opposition players before the game needs to stop. If for no other reason than it really ****s off the fans. He might not feel that important but it'll save him a boat load of hassle. The tribal nature of football fans isn't changing anytime soon, it'll be in his best interests to knock that on the head in front of the camera. 

I thought he noticeably put in extra effort to tackle / foul Mahrez yesterday to please the fans.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It's difficult to be objective about BC as there are people that won't hear any criticism, accurate or not. 

He's good but not great yet. There's a top class player in there, absolutely, but there needs to be some improvements. 

Physically he's impressive. I think the mental aspect of his game needs work. He doesn't really seem to be mentally tough and his decision making is really, really poor when he's having a bad game. 

The tracking back is a great example of that. It wasn't lethargy or laziness. He's just decided its not his role at that point and made a bad decision costing us a goal. 

This will, however, improve with experience. Like all defenders, he'll make better decisions with age. 

The hugging and kissing opposition players before the game needs to stop. If for no other reason than it really ****s off the fans. He might not feel that important but it'll save him a boat load of hassle. The tribal nature of football fans isn't changing anytime soon, it'll be in his best interests to knock that on the head in front of the camera. 

Edit - improve wording.

This 👆

A good player, makes a few mistakes but will improve with experience but I can't be doing with all the hugging and high fiving before the game, rarely looks like he's going to win a 50/50, I'd love to just see him smash someone, it's all too nice

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Surprised he's getting the blame for the goal. 

Fuchs sticks with Jesus and there's no pass for Mahrez to make.

Other players could have gone towards Mahrez and at least not made it as easy for him to jog through, not just Chilwell.

Don't think he played badly. Certainly shouldn't be getting any more stick than any other players. Several times he got forward as a wing-back would, especially 2nd half, but was quickly surrounded by Man City players and/or had no options to pass. Then when he turned back there were moans and groans. Literally no other option for him sometimes.

There was always the option of randomly  rolling it out of play which he took once 😂

29 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Twice now Mahrez as absolutely owned the lad. Good going forward but defensively poor. 

I see this a lot that he’s good going forward. 

His cross success rate must be about 5% and he doesn’t really score goals.

Honestly wish he was much better because deep down we all want ‘one of our own’ to go well but I struggle to find the enthusiasm when it feels like he isn’t improving at all.

Think he’s gone backwards from last season possibly.