happy85

Ben Chilwell

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I’m sure there was a point where Arbeloa, Reina, Mikel Arteta and one other Everton player all lived on the same street and they would go round each other’s houses for dinner etc. 

It isnt uncommon for players to be friends in the modern game. To be a professional footballer takes years of dedication, I’m sure they put that respect for eachother because they each know what it takes before anything else. Not everything has to be a siege mentality, in fact, it doesn’t even really work anymore. Mourinho has realised this after trying to do it at Man U and isn’t trying to create the same at Spurs but instead get some young players in and just focus on the football.

100% and they need friends in the same profession playing for other teams, otherwise they'd go mad or hang around with the wrong sorts. I just think on game day it should be about winning, not being friendly in the tunnel. A quick goodluck text the day before and then you can talk to them after the game.

Again this is all my opinion and many obviously disagree:ph34r:

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Not rivals but hows this for winning mentality :D 

where's the focus from Kasper and Vardy? they will never win anything with pre match antics like that ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

where's the focus from Kasper and Vardy? they will never win anything with pre match antics like that ...

I mean we did lose that game 3-0 :D 

(defo not encouraging the hate to the tunnel hugging tho btw just ironic)

Edited by pmcla26

I get what both sides of the mates issue are saying. Personally, I don't like it. It should just be a quick nod and smile, and back to focus on doing all you can to play your best game.  I was fortunate to play amateur football for just over 20 years in the local leagues, and so often played against mates - you just used to said "y' alrite?" if you saw them before the game, and on the pitch they became another of the enemy in the opposing strip. Bit extreme perhaps, but that was how I focused on my mental strength for the game.  Too much matey stuff weakens the focus! But we're all different and the modern game is so different. That said, still think the players could think about how the fans would perceive it.  It'd be interesting to see if the pro rughy players do the same.  

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

so jack grealish, whos been getting immense plaudits for stepping up in big games and dragging his team through this season has the wrong mentality, too? or is it just cos he won and in fact saying hi before kick off literally doesn’t matter. 

they all say hi to the ones they know because they are just normal people who are mates 

Grealish gets away with it because he's playing class. Ben has been poor (other than against WHU) for almost 2 months, hence the question of his mentality is being brought up. Some players don't think of opposition players as friends as soon as they step over the line, is Ben one of those players? Grealish might be, hence his good performances.

Again, it's my opinion. I'm of the opinion that it's us vs. the world. It's the same opinion Fergies United had, Joses Chelsea and it looks like Klopps Liverpool are going that way too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I mean we did lose that game 3-0 :D 

(defo not encouraging the hate to the tunnel hugging tho btw just ironic)

lollollollollol.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

But, although he's laughing, he's taking the piss isn't he, and doesn't it suggest he doesn't like it. 

1 minute ago, old koppite said:

But, although he's laughing, he's taking the piss isn't he, and doesn't it suggest he doesn't like it. 

but he's laughing and joking not staring sternly ahead focused on the game, totally unprofessional ... 

5 minutes ago, old koppite said:

I get what both sides of the mates issue are saying. Personally, I don't like it. It should just be a quick nod and smile, and back to focus on doing all you can to play your best game.  I was fortunate to play amateur football for just over 20 years in the local leagues, and so often played against mates - you just used to said "y' alrite?" if you saw them before the game, and on the pitch they became another of the enemy in the opposing strip. Bit extreme perhaps, but that was how I focused on my mental strength for the game.  Too much matey stuff weakens the focus! But we're all different and the modern game is so different. That said, still think the players could think about how the fans would perceive it.  It'd be interesting to see if the pro rughy players do the same.  

That was my original point. Obviously I brought it up so we could discuss it, but some get touchy on here if you give an opinion they don't like:whistle:

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, old koppite said:

when I was a young kid starting playing football (so a bit over 10 Years ago) it was all about fair play, I used to get told off for being a bad loser or putting in naughty tackles when I was about 7, even tho the same game I’d be up front and have scored a hat trick but someone’s parent weren’t happy cuz their boy got a little clip on the ankle lol but it’s that kind of mentality that I think when these players who get picked up at 7/8 these days and when it’s all about education in the academies it probably does make you a little bit softer than if it wasn’t instilled from such a young age that it’s all about fair play

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

but he's laughing and joking not staring sternly ahead focused on the game, totally unprofessional ... 

True- I'd liked to see the follow on footage though- bet he switches back to the lean, mean  street dog look he usually has. 

Before Villa, I noticed someone in our line, maybe Ricardo with a serious very hard on his face when the hugging was going on- maybe just completely in the zone.

Just now, old koppite said:

True- I'd liked to see the follow on footage though- bet he switches back to the lean, mean  street dog look he usually has. 

Before Villa, I noticed someone in our line, maybe Ricardo with a serious very hard on his face when the hugging was going on- maybe just completely in the zone.

given all the pre match bullshit they have to do the time they totally switch on will be in the little huddle just before kick off, it'd be different if they just ran out and kicked off but that hasn't been a thing for a decade

If he’s busy looking for his friends just minutes before we kick off a semi final are you telling me his focus is going to be 100% if he’s in a 50/50 challenge in the first minute against that same guy? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

given all the pre match bullshit they have to do the time they totally switch on will be in the little huddle just before kick off, it'd be different if they just ran out and kicked off but that hasn't been a thing for a decade

Yeah, good point.  It'd be interesting to hear from anyone on FT who has studied sport psychology recently.  

3 minutes ago, old koppite said:

Yeah, good point.  It'd be interesting to hear from anyone on FT who has studied sport psychology recently.  

Me

15 minutes ago, K1FOX said:

If he’s busy looking for his friends just minutes before we kick off a semi final are you telling me his focus is going to be 100% if he’s in a 50/50 challenge in the first minute against that same guy? 

He's a professional. So yes.

• Like 4

I personally couldn’t give a flying f what Roy Keane would think about Chilwell saying hello to his mates in the tunnel, what’s he got to do with us? Just because he was a numbskulled hard man? Big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I personally couldn’t give a flying f what Roy Keane would think about Chilwell saying hello to his mates in the tunnel, what’s he got to do with us? Just because he was a numbskulled hard man? Big deal. 

Agree with all of this 👍 except keane bring a hard man. He likes people to believe that as he is a control freak.

To be honest Ben just comes across as a nice guy and very popular with not only his team mates but also other players, many he has grown up with through the youth squad.  No-one questioned it before but since he had a dip in form every aspect of him has been analysed and picked apart.  Confidence is his problem as I'm sure most of you would agree so let's build him up and support him not constantly knock him down! 

Edited by Hales

Just now, turkish14 said:

Agree with all of this 👍 except keane bring a hard man. He likes people to believe that as he is a control freak.

There’s something not right about him that’s for sure.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hales said:

To be honest Ben just comes across as a nice guy and very popular with not only his team mates but also other players, many he has grown up with through the youth squad.  No-one questioned it before but since he had a dip in form every aspect of him has been analysed and picked apart.  Confidence is his problem as I'm sure most of you would agree so let's build him up and support him not constantly knock him down! 

Hi Bens mum

• Haha 1