Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

14 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Modern football has changed. You won’t see rivalries like that anymore. Plus, they hated each other off the pitch too. Chilwell is mates with a lot of those boys in the video. Do people genuinely think by him doing that we handed a small advantage to Villa? Bare in mind that was Ben’s best performance in recent weeks.

Of course, I dont think it gives Villa an advantage. I think people think he should be more focused on the game, save all that for afters?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Modern football has changed. You won’t see rivalries like that anymore. Plus, they hated each other off the pitch too. Chilwell is mates with a lot of those boys in the video. Do people genuinely think by him doing that we handed a small advantage to Villa? Bare in mind that was Ben’s best performance in recent weeks.

This is spot on

For the many fans who idolise modern day footballers... don’t. They generally see it as their ‘job’. They put up with playing and all the media bollox and everything else because they get so well paid

This notion of rivalry between players of different teams has largely disappeared. As the poster above says, players will be mates with different players at different teams.

It’s for this reason that I have some much respect for exceptions to the rule, like Vardy. Jamie had the chance to move to London to play for Arsenal and to earn more money. But something made him stay. Probably his position at Leicester, his home and I genuinely feel his love for the club.

But most players aren’t like Vardy. Indeed, many players actually don’t particularly like football. They do it because they are good at it and it pays them ridiculous money.

The days of Keane v Viera are largely gone. This is probably why Keane gets so frustrated at Man Utd these days. He wants to see more passion in the players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest An Sionnach

Roy Keane was and still is a misanthropic , cynical , nasty piece of work . Roy Keane is also one of the greatest players of the last twenty years.

49 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Roy Keane was and still is a misanthropic , cynical , nasty piece of work . Roy Keane is also one of the greatest players of the last twenty years.

Who in the current premier league is most like Roy Keane in your opinion?

Those days are over football moves on. The game has evolved and players are different now. Crying because Chillwell embraced a couple of villa players isn't going to change that.   

Is this really a big deal? Our fan base these days is so entitled and just jump on players backs either by booing or abusing them on social media. Its embaressing, the fact that 9/10 of these people who hurl abuse at our players via a keyboard or from the terraces would jump at the chance for a selfie with them if they saw them in the street. 

Our fan base will drive players out the club

Guest An Sionnach
41 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Who in the current premier league is most like Roy Keane in your opinion?

Those days are over football moves on. The game has evolved and players are different now. Crying because Chillwell embraced a couple of villa players isn't going to change that.   

If Hamza works really hard at it he has the potential to be the most feared midfielder in the PL . When Man City come here he can start by giving Mahrez a very hard time. A couple of crunching (hopefully fair) tackles and Pep will be getting his hook out.

12 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Seen plenty of city fans having a cry because Chilwell hugged his (Villa) mates before the game. 

If you’re one of these people you have too much time on your hands. Go read a book, or have a beer. Relax.

I think most will appreciate he has friends who play for other clubs, as many of us fans are friends with people who follow other teams.

But there's a difference between that and not being focused moments before a huge cup game when his mentality is already clearly a problem that frustrates many City fans. 

He just is not in the zone at all. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think most will appreciate he has friends who play for other clubs, as many of us fans are friends with people who follow other teams.

But there's a difference between that and not being focused moments before a huge cup game when his mentality is already clearly a problem that frustrates many City fans. 

He just is not in the zone at all. 

Like I said previously, modern footballers deal with pressure or nerves in different ways. Ben played pretty well Tuesday night and if him having a little chinwag with his pal helped him do that then he can crack on. We don’t have Gary Neville’s/Gerrard’s/Keanes playing these day who on Tuesday would have just stared ahead in silence. But I get your point. Maybe Tuesday will prove to be part of a major learning curve for our extremely young side. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Like I said previously, modern footballers deal with pressure or nerves in different ways. Ben played pretty well Tuesday night and if him having a little chinwag with his pal helped him do that then he can crack on. We don’t have Gary Neville’s/Gerrard’s/Keanes playing these day who on Tuesday would have just stared ahead in silence. But I get your point. Maybe Tuesday will prove to be part of a major learning curve for our extremely young side. 

Did he play well?

He didn’t pass the ball to the opponents 9/10 times which he has been doing of late for weeks on end, but arguably he was a fault for the first goal in letting the ball bounce in the centre circle and falling over rather than dealing with it. After 10 minutes of the game he showed no inclination to use his pace to run up the line, but continued to pass inside sideways or backwards.

While it may be improvement on the diabolical times of misplacing 22 passes in one half that we have actually witnessed I think you are somewhat ‘over egging’ what he contributed on Tuesday.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Did he play well?

He didn’t pass the ball to the opponents 9/10 times which he has been doing of late for weeks on end, but arguably he was a fault for the first goal in letting the ball bounce in the centre circle and falling over rather than dealing with it. After 10 minutes of the game he showed no inclination to use his pace to run up the line, but continued to pass inside sideways or backwards.

While it may be improvement on the diabolical times of misplacing 22 passes in one half that we have actually witnessed I think you are somewhat ‘over egging’ what he contributed on Tuesday.

Ok. Well I thought he was probably a 7-7.5/10 and if our entire XI played at 7-7.5 we might have won. I thought he went back to basics which was pleasing. He defended well and like you said, didn’t give the ball away as much like he has done for fun lately. Maybe my point has come across as generous on his performance. That was not my intention, I’m just stating that footballers these days are very different to what they used to be. 

• Like 1

He had a decent game on Tuesday.  They all did.  We didn’t lose because Ben Chilwell hugged Jack Grealish in the tunnel beforehand.  

We lost because sometimes in football, you lose.  Sometimes in football, the loss happens in an incredibly painful way.

This is how it was, how it is and how it will always be.  Also what hasn’t changed is football fans losing their shit over fvck all. We’re all guilty of it, including myself.

Best thing to do when it’s pointed out to you is to just sigh, say fair enough and look forward to the next game.  Doubling down and trying to rationalise an opinion that we weren’t ‘in the zone’ because some mates were hugging each other before a game is just bollocks.

We played well.  We created chances that were denied by heroics and we also wasted quite a lot of opportunities too.  Tough shit.

Ben Chilwell is the best English left back by far.  He’s come up through the youth ranks and cemented a place in our first team.  A team that currently sits third in the Premier League.  He does have off games as all players do, but for people to try and make out that he hasn’t got the talent that he does have is bloody ridiculous and hugely disappointing.

In terms of young talent this Leicester team is by far the best we’ve probably ever seen and are ever likely to see.

The hardest times as a supporter is to get behind the lads when the chips are down.  This isn’t even one of those times!  The chips are still very much up!! 

I understand people are frustrated, we all are.  We all wanted to go to Wembley, we all wanted to win a cup but it isn’t happening (at least not in the league cup),  but we can secure Champions League qualification but we’re not going to do it if we are getting on the players backs and stripping away their confidence bit by bit.

Sort it the fvck out.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

A lot of these youngsters are internationals and have played in tournaments through the age groups, Chillwell in particular having played for England in front of 70000 plus.

Im not sure there is that much to be gained from playing in a 2nd rate cup competition at a ground you visit in the league once a year and your team are in 3rd place.

It would be different if we were in the championship and it’s a new experience with the possibility of European football and there was a lot of pressure.

11 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

A lot of these youngsters are internationals and have played in tournaments through the age groups, Chillwell in particular having played for England in front of 70000 plus.

Im not sure there is that much to be gained from playing in a 2nd rate cup competition at a ground you visit in the league once a year and your team are in 3rd place.

It would be different if we were in the championship and it’s a new experience with the possibility of European football and there was a lot of pressure.

Any semi final is decent experience regardless of the context.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

This is spot on

For the many fans who idolise modern day footballers... don’t. They generally see it as their ‘job’. They put up with playing and all the media bollox and everything else because they get so well paid

This notion of rivalry between players of different teams has largely disappeared. As the poster above says, players will be mates with different players at different teams.

It’s for this reason that I have some much respect for exceptions to the rule, like Vardy. Jamie had the chance to move to London to play for Arsenal and to earn more money. But something made him stay. Probably his position at Leicester, his home and I genuinely feel his love for the club.

But most players aren’t like Vardy. Indeed, many players actually don’t particularly like football. They do it because they are good at it and it pays them ridiculous money.

The days of Keane v Viera are largely gone. This is probably why Keane gets so frustrated at Man Utd these days. He wants to see more passion in the players.

Sorry Col,I expected more from you...

Even back in the day..high performing.Football,RugbyHockey players,Athletes/swimmers covering all disciplines,were ok with each other....

some players/athletes, niggled each other,just to have a pop,in a Macho world...Before and After game,some were introvert,then others enjoyed each others company.

Even Training with each other. The characters of Keane ,Vierra are stories,turned into the occasional off Field or even on field spifs..!!! They had their own Cliques & friends ,competing with other clubs...Fans Gossip used to secure and Feed  childish & media opinions....

In competition,you would or might "hate" your grandma,and John cobbley,whether for  half hour,2 hours,a day,or through a tournament..but to be honest,even through tournaments and Meetings the relationships were Friendly and cordial sometimes laughing-at during the game or tournament,

Plus helping,coaching,encouraging,swapping,ideas and technic.

Actually it might of been some morose,Golf or Tennis players,that brought in the mean-streaks,and grump over or at the Opposition when facing the media....

So  then a new cut of Media-types ran with it,und found their Readers Lapped it up...

Some football /Rugby players Made it their mantra,Bit they were few and far between...

Keane & Vierra,and that man Daley-Thompson seems to have Conned a few ..!!

Many fans, & Media would be suprised,what will and where all these so called hard-men helped & encouraged each other..but be sure during the game and competition best Mates will be and were for those moments hardenned enemies....There are some like in normal life,try to be bullies,it rarely works....

Mountain out of a molehill ( Or even an ants crap)....but then some People bite...and dive into the Shit pile...:whistle:

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Whilst it doesn't really bother me either way, the guys you have list are all winners and had a win and all cost attitude, we probably lack a little bit of that mentally.........

We are a little naive and too nice at times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Whilst it doesn't really bother me either way, the guys you have list are all winners and had a win and all cost attitude, we probably lack a little bit of that mentally.........

We are a little naive and too nice at times. 

Yep I can’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I think the age and inexperience of our squad contributes towards that. We’ll come back stronger for this I think. 

15 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry Col,I expected more from you...

Even back in the day..high performing.Football,RugbyHockey players,Athletes/swimmers covering all disciplines,were ok with each other....

some players/athletes, niggled each other,just to have a pop,in a Macho world...Before and After game,some were introvert,then others enjoyed each others company.

Even Training with each other. The characters of Keane ,Vierra are stories,turned into the occasional off Field or even on field spifs..!!! They had their own Cliques & friends ,competing with other clubs...Fans Gossip used to secure and Feed  childish & media opinions....

In competition,you would or might "hate" your grandma,and John cobbley,whether for  half hour,2 hours,a day,or through a tournament..but to be honest,even through tournaments and Meetings the relationships were Friendly and cordial sometimes laughing-at during the game or tournament,

Plus helping,coaching,encouraging,swapping,ideas and technic.

Actually it might of been some morose,Golf or Tennis players,that brought in the mean-streaks,and grump over or at the Opposition when facing the media....

So  then a new cut of Media-types ran with it,und found their Readers Lapped it up...

Some football /Rugby players Made it their mantra,Bit they were few and far between...

Keane & Vierra,and that man Daley-Thompson seems to have Conned a few ..!!

Many fans, & Media would be suprised,what will and where all these so called hard-men helped & encouraged each other..but be sure during the game and competition best Mates will be and were for those moments hardenned enemies....There are some like in normal life,try to be bullies,it rarely works....

Mountain out of a molehill ( Or even an ants crap)....but then some People bite...and dive into the Shit pile...:whistle:

you're both right in a way.  The generation Z player are different from before. Eddie Jones talked about this on the radio - about how he needs to work with the  player after a poor game.  20 years ago he would have just bawled then our at full time... now they have to "process it" and come back in a few days and work on what is wrong. 

There are some key things to learn about this type of match (villa) - where we are playing big game against a team we should beat.  I think the players have to learn to be much more focused and to  leave the camaraderie with their opponents until afterwards. we have to be ready top counter their tactics and to be much tougher... these young player just got taught a lesson... they can change and learn to overcome such problems... if they want to?

IT is by recognising that "the generational flaws" might be leaving a young team o[pen to defeat.... that Brendan must put in place the mindset and habit to counter it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If Hamza works really hard at it he has the potential to be the most feared midfielder in the PL . When Man City come here he can start by giving Mahrez a very hard time. A couple of crunching (hopefully fair) tackles and Pep will be getting his hook out.

So Hamza Choudhury a player who has started 6 games this season is the player most like Roy Keane in the current premier League?

Kind of proves my point that that type of player is finished. You can't kick flair players out of matches anymore and even if he did  manage it he would at least be on a booking (if not worse) and Bernardo Silva or Sane would be warming up and ready to do some damage!  

10 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Everyone just gonna ignore Barnes was also hugging his mates?

If you're a grown man getting upset by this then that is very troubling.

Wouldn’t say upset, just would prefer to see a bit of focus instead before a game. He might not then run the ball out of play so much. 

7 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

He had a decent game on Tuesday.  They all did.  We didn’t lose because Ben Chilwell hugged Jack Grealish in the tunnel beforehand.  

We lost because sometimes in football, you lose.  Sometimes in football, the loss happens in an incredibly painful way.

This is how it was, how it is and how it will always be.  Also what hasn’t changed is football fans losing their shit over fvck all. We’re all guilty of it, including myself.

Best thing to do when it’s pointed out to you is to just sigh, say fair enough and look forward to the next game.  Doubling down and trying to rationalise an opinion that we weren’t ‘in the zone’ because some mates were hugging each other before a game is just bollocks.

We played well.  We created chances that were denied by heroics and we also wasted quite a lot of opportunities too.  Tough shit.

Ben Chilwell is the best left back in England.  He’s come up through the youth ranks and cemented a place in our first team.  A team that currently sits third in the Premier League.  He does have off games as all players do, but for people to try and make out that he hasn’t got the talent that he does have is bloody ridiculous and hugely disappointing.

In terms of young talent this Leicester team is by far the best we’ve probably ever seen and are ever likely to see.

The hardest times as a supporter is to get behind the lads when the chips are down.  This isn’t even one of those times!  The chips are still very much up!! 

I understand people are frustrated, we all are.  We all wanted to go to Wembley, we all wanted to win a cup but it isn’t happening (at least not in the league cup),  but we can secure Champions League qualification but we’re not going to do it if we are getting on the players backs and stripping away their confidence bit by bit.

Sort it the fvck out.

Yes, well said.