Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Brendan Rodgers

7 hours ago, Gerard said:

Isn't every manager or players ambition to end up at Madrid, Barcelona, etc? Players and managers are usually as loyal as their options. 

However call me naive but I do think BR will stay as long as he feels he can keep taking this club forward. He'd probably rather be here at this moment in time with a steady ship but a good transfer budget and superb young and still developing players as he sees further improvement and a world class training facility next season. He'll probably prefer to stay where he is rather than join a bigger club like Tottenham or Arsenal with their current problems.

In addition winning something with Leicester will be a greater achievement than with a, say Man City, and be an extra bigger feather to n his cap

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gerard said:

Isn't every manager or players ambition to end up at Madrid, Barcelona, etc? Players and managers are usually as loyal as their options. 

However call me naive but I do think BR will stay as long as he feels he can keep taking this club forward. He'd probably rather be here at this moment in time with a steady ship but a good transfer budget and superb young and still developing players as he sees further improvement and a world class training facility next season. He'll probably prefer to stay where he is rather than join a bigger club like Tottenham or Arsenal with their current problems.

I agree, maybe I'm being a romantic, but if he can keep this young incredibly talented squad, add a few more gems in the next couple of windows, coupled with the 100 million pound training facility and continued progression, I could definitely see him being here for a few years, especially if we win something more than champions League qualification.

Edited by shade
  • Like 1

I don't fear Rodgers going to Arsenal or Spurs, both clubs have currently got problems and appear to be on the wane. Both teams are in need of significant rebuild with a number of players either ageing or nearing the end of their contracts with no willingness to resign. Neither are clubs known to throw huge money at rectifying such issues. Though better off in terms of finance, Man Utd too have problematic player issues and arguably need a ruthless style manager to do a Pearson or Puel type job to clear out some of their problem or not up to standard players prior to a Rodgers style manager coming in.

Rogers is certainly not a daft man, he clearly saw the excellent opportunities that were open to him at Leicester City. Talented young squad, money to spend within reason, new training ground, a stable and extremely viable ownership,  in short, very much a club on the up and, in terms of future personal footballing ambitions, he's getting on board the ride very much at the right time.

To get Leicester City, a team seen as a small provincial club by the outside world punching above it's rate will make Rodgers one of Europe's most sought after managers if it all goes to plan. So forget Spurs and Arsenal, they're just not in the running or worthy for his potential ambitious goals. The only viable temptation here may be Man City should Pep leave otherwise I foresee a big European club after at least one more season where he'll get us playing in Europe. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

I think Rodgers has more power here than we know. Top and Rudkin didn't just hire him as a football coach. They also hired a man with a vision.

And you can't create a vision like Leicester City Football Club by yourself. You need everyone pulling in the same direction. Its happening here NOW.

This is a club that is in the process of becoming a big club. When you go to a big club you don't get any say in how its run.

It already runs the way its supposed to run. There are big egos and minefields to walk. They've already been successful. Your basically hired as a caretaker.

You do your job and do what your told, within reason. Almost impossible for me to see Rodgers at that type of club. Feels hollow.

I just see Rodgers as bigger than that, I'm being selfish of course. I want to see him finish a project he starts. Or at least see the fruit of his Labor.

Its one thing to win a Champions/Prem league trophy but its something else again to do that knowing you had a hand in the building of the club and its structure.

The teamwork at Leicester isn't just on the field. Its the whole of the club. And that's the vision. I just want to keep watching the build.

20 hours ago, shade said:

I agree, maybe I'm being a romantic, but if he can keep this young incredibly talented squad, add a few more gems in the next couple of windows, coupled with the 100 million pound training facility and continued progression, I could definitely see him being here for a few years, especially if we win something more than champions League qualification.

I think it's a possibility, what an achievement it would be to come even close to getting one over the big boys. We would certainly shoot up the ladder as a club highly rated young players would aspire to. I feel quite sorry for young players like Foden who really should have been playing by now. You have to ask whether Abrahams, Odoi  Mount and others would have got their chance this season if it wasn't for the transfer embargo?

I think we have a lot going for us at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

I think Rodgers has more power here than we know. Top and Rudkin didn't just hire him as a football coach. They also hired a man with a vision.

And you can't create a vision like Leicester City Football Club by yourself. You need everyone pulling in the same direction. Its happening here NOW.

This is a club that is in the process of becoming a big club. When you go to a big club you don't get any say in how its run.

It already runs the way its supposed to run. There are big egos and minefields to walk. They've already been successful. Your basically hired as a caretaker.

You do your job and do what your told, within reason. Almost impossible for me to see Rodgers at that type of club. Feels hollow.

I just see Rodgers as bigger than that, I'm being selfish of course. I want to see him finish a project he starts. Or at least see the fruit of his Labor.

Its one thing to win a Champions/Prem league trophy but its something else again to do that knowing you had a hand in the building of the club and its structure.

The teamwork at Leicester isn't just on the field. Its the whole of the club. And that's the vision. I just want to keep watching the build.

I agree with this, there is something to be said for being actively involved in a project through the journey more than the result. I have a friend who started and sold a company for a lot of money who then retired for 3 years. After that time he started another company which is doing well, and he told me that he realised the journey was actually the thing that he enjoyed more than the success of creating a company. The ability to mentor other people, and to create something from nothing.

These days the very top clubs want coaches who can come in and win title immediately. Working for a Barcelona, Manchester United or similar must be a dream for many. But it's one where you are there to do a job rather than helping to build a project.

Jose Mourinho is the type of person that is a natural born winner and would prefer to be under pressure from day one. Hence he does not build for the future and doesn't give kids a chance as he wants to win immediately. Is Rodgers that type of person? Well he already came to Leicester for the project so we know he's already not cut from the same type of cloth. Where I would see Rodgers more definitely leaving is if the club's ambition can no longer match his. E.g. if we keep selling our best players and can't bring in new ones, then in his eyes there would be no real point in staying. Or if he thinks he's taken Leicester as far as he can, which scarily could happen this season as with Man City's injury list I genuinely think as high as 2nd position is up for grabs!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I agree with this, there is something to be said for being actively involved in a project through the journey more than the result. I have a friend who started and sold a company for a lot of money who then retired for 3 years. After that time he started another company which is doing well, and he told me that he realised the journey was actually the thing that he enjoyed more than the success of creating a company. The ability to mentor other people, and to create something from nothing.

These days the very top clubs want coaches who can come in and win title immediately. Working for a Barcelona, Manchester United or similar must be a dream for many. But it's one where you are there to do a job rather than helping to build a project.

Jose Mourinho is the type of person that is a natural born winner and would prefer to be under pressure from day one. Hence he does not build for the future and doesn't give kids a chance as he wants to win immediately. Is Rodgers that type of person? Well he already came to Leicester for the project so we know he's already not cut from the same type of cloth. Where I would see Rodgers more definitely leaving is if the club's ambition can no longer match his. E.g. if we keep selling our best players and can't bring in new ones, then in his eyes there would be no real point in staying. Or if he thinks he's taken Leicester as far as he can, which scarily could happen this season as with Man City's injury list I genuinely think as high as 2nd position is up for grabs!

Don't think 2nd is the extent of his ambition here. :) Leicester City at this place and time is absolutely perfect for him.

If Barcelona wanted to get their shit back together in a couple of years .............. they are lost now.

Has to be the right project or you're just spinning your wheels and wasting time when you could be inspiring /helping yourself/others.

10 hours ago, SO1 said:

Well Said !!

At Leicester Rodgers get talk to the owner & being involved in the path forward plan.

Poch stated a while ago that he is a coach not a manager & I don't think that is what BR wants. I think as long as the success comes he will stay.

16 hours ago, SO1 said:

I mean, Leicester City also runs the way it's supposed to run, and there's plenty of big clubs that certainly aren't being run the way they're supposed to be, but I nitpick.

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, Leicester City also runs the way it's supposed to run, and there's plenty of big clubs that certainly aren't being run the way they're supposed to be, but I nitpick.

We are not currently a huge club, but we are a big club now and getting bigger, in relation to the European and world stage, not just the prem, thanks to the owners long term vision.

Edited by Dorkingfox

Rodgers is in a no lose situation here in terms of job security.   Providing we dont see ourselves down in the bottom 6 of the table what pressure has he realistically got here.

Yes he could go to Man City at some point or perhaps even Spurs or Arsenal etc.  But how long will their fans give him.  They expect instant silverware and if you don't achieve that, they gun for you.  And as a manager, if you're shown the door then it's a rebuild for your career again.  Does Rodgers want the risk of all that?

Like others have said, I think he might be in it for the long haul.  He knows we will have probably the best training facilities in the country soon.  We might be adding 25% to the capacity of our ground over the next couple of seasons too maybe.  All the little things coming together at once to turn us into a regular top 6 team.

This group of players depth wise is better than we had when we won the league and I only see it getting better still over the next couple of seasons if we continue  the upward trajectory on the pitch.

We know Rodgers is an ego man, so he's going to want to stick around through all of this because it would look excellent on his CV.  And he's got virtually no pressure during any of it.  

I'd be surprised if he isn't here for a good few seasons, because he's on to a winner where everything is falling in to place. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Rodgers is in a no lose situation here in terms of job security.   Providing we dont see ourselves down in the bottom 6 of the table what pressure has he realistically got here.

Yes he could go to Man City at some point or perhaps even Spurs or Arsenal etc.  But how long will their fans give him.  They expect instant silverware and if you don't achieve that, they gun for you.  And as a manager, if you're shown the door then it's a rebuild for your career again.  Does Rodgers want the risk of all that?

Like others have said, I think he might be in it for the long haul.  He knows we will have probably the best training facilities in the country soon.  We might be adding 25% to the capacity of our ground over the next couple of seasons too maybe.  All the little things coming together at once to turn us into a regular top 6 team.

This group of players depth wise is better than we had when we won the league and I only see it getting better still over the next couple of seasons if we continue  the upward trajectory on the pitch.

We know Rodgers is an ego man, so he's going to want to stick around through all of this because it would look excellent on his CV.  And he's got virtually no pressure during any of it.  

I'd be surprised if he isn't here for a good few seasons, because he's on to a winner where everything is falling in to place. 

If you want a little insight into Brendan Rogers and his addiction to Football then you could do worse than getting your hands on a copy of "Invincible". The backdrop to the book is his first season with Celtic.However his belief in "Death by Football" is what we are viewing on a weekly basis.Worth a read:scarf:

Edited by artic fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

We are not currently a huge club, but we are a big club now and getting bigger, in relation the the European and world stage, not just the prem, thanks to the owners long term vision.

True. I just meant that the background staff has mechanisms that are running very well and just as they are supposed to :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, artic fox said:

If you want a little insight into Brendan Rogers and his addiction to Football then you could do worse than getting your hands on a copy of "Invincible". The backdrop to the book is his first season with Celtic.However his belief in "Death by Football" is what we are viewing on a weekly basis.Worth a read:scarf:

Nice to hear a positive review. Heard that his 2 books were mainly exercises in PR than actual content. But that was from a disgruntled Celtic fan.

Looks like I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas.:twitch:

On 15/11/2019 at 13:19, SO1 said:

Great post. Worth bearing in mind he got every single member of staff he wanted here, including Congerton, he's not going to get that level of control at any other top club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Great post. Worth bearing in mind he got every single member of staff he wanted here, including Congerton, he's not going to get that level of control at any other top club.

There's a lot to be said for staying at a job that you feel you're in total control of, that you're still progressing and haven't reached your potential and that you feel secure in and really enjoy it. That just doesn't go for the manager but the players too.

I think as long as the manager and the players don't feel they've hit a ceiling here and believe they're on the up then we can still keep this manager and squad together. You get the impression that the manager and players here are a well knit bunch and enjoy their surroundings and time here. Anyone who is thinking of leaving for pastures new should think long and hard as they may not experience such great working conditions again in their career.

I can see why Mahrez left as he felt the club had peaked and new he was one of the few players who could take a step up. I wouldn't go as far as to say Maguire regrets leaving but I'm sure he was probably happier here than he currently is at Man Utd. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

There's a lot to be said for staying at a job that you feel you're in total control of, that you're still progressing and haven't reached your potential and that you feel secure in and really enjoy it. That just doesn't go for the manager but the players too.

I think as long as the manager and the players don't feel they've hit a ceiling here and believe they're on the up then we can still keep this manager and squad together. You get the impression that the manager and players here are a well knit bunch and enjoy their surroundings and time here. Anyone who is thinking of leaving for pastures new should think long and hard as they may not experience such great working conditions again in their career.

I can see why Mahrez left as he felt the club had peaked and new he was one of the few players who could take a step up. I wouldn't go as far as to say Maguire regrets leaving but I'm sure he was probably happier here than he currently is at Man Utd. 

I still can't figure out the Maguire move. I get that it's United, but they have been in turmoil since Sir Alex left, both on and off the pitch.

I'm sure if he had committed himself to Leicester, they would have given him a very good contract. It really just comes down to the history and brand of United. I'm sure they'll turn it around at some point, but it's a major footballing risk for anyone to go to United right now. Managers have changed frequently, big money signings have not worked out, Pogba is doing damage with his nonstop flirting with Madrdid.

It's just not a project that I'd want to be a part of right now. Leicester has so much more appeal with their overall philosophy and the football that Rodgers has brought.

12 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

One of the most interesting things to me is just how little turnover there has been in the club since Rodgers has arrived.

Says much that the coaching staff that's here can work with Rodgers ideas.

Shows how little I know about the versatility of professional coaches to adapt to different styles of play.

The fact that Steve Beaglehole is still here and watching the development squads transition to more of a Rodgers style is a credit to the club.

4 hours ago, SO1 said:

One of the most interesting things to me is just how little turnover there has been in the club since Rodgers has arrived.

Says much that the coaching staff that's here can work with Rodgers ideas.

Shows how little I know about the versatility of professional coaches to adapt to different styles of play.

The fact that Steve Beaglehole is still here and watching the development squads transition to more of a Rodgers style is a credit to the club.

Brendan Rogers would have been well aware of who Steve Beaglehole was prior to joining the club. He sees the progression of under-age players making  the first team and he knows Beagleholes Coaching is a reason for it. Roger's  is very aware of the young players coming up with Academy system. He also brought his own staff who have in-depth knowledge of the how he thinks about the game and Coach the players accordingly. :scarf:

Edited by artic fox

Excluding the very biggest (Barca and...?), i dont necessarily see why we have to assume he will leave.

If... IF he has success here, if he wins or even challenges for the league.... if he wins the FA cup... if he makes a solid run (Semis?) at the CL... then what does anyone else have to offer him?

The same applies for the best players... if we are a competitive champions league club, we are attractive to the best in the world.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Excluding the very biggest (Barca and...?), i dont necessarily see why we have to assume he will leave.

If... IF he has success here, if he wins or even challenges for the league.... if he wins the FA cup... if he makes a solid run (Semis?) at the CL... then what does anyone else have to offer him?

The same applies for the best players... if we are a competitive champions league club, we are attractive to the best in the world.

The training ground and especially the player accommodation will really help showing prospective players round the gaff in the summer if we have CL football.

• Like 3

On 16/11/2019 at 23:15, cstrafe said:

I still can't figure out the Maguire move. I get that it's United, but they have been in turmoil since Sir Alex left, both on and off the pitch.

I'm sure if he had committed himself to Leicester, they would have given him a very good contract. It really just comes down to the history and brand of United. I'm sure they'll turn it around at some point, but it's a major footballing risk for anyone to go to United right now. Managers have changed frequently, big money signings have not worked out, Pogba is doing damage with his nonstop flirting with Madrdid.

It's just not a project that I'd want to be a part of right now. Leicester has so much more appeal with their overall philosophy and the football that Rodgers has brought.

It was his dream to play for them since he was young, his Mum tweeted something about achieving your dreams. I think every club would have been a stepping stone until he actually had a offer to join them. So he got an offer, didn't do a Mahrez and made us a better team without trying. 

So, Congrats on achieving your dream, and thanks for making us more solid at the back. 

• Like 2