Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ha, no never, matey!!!!

PS Thinking about it, Puel became the football equivalent of Brexit, very little middle ground with fans

You started this off again and now you're bringing up the 'B' word!

Too much time hanging around with that Durham character I reckon.  lol

• Haha 1

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ha, no never, matey!!!!

PS Thinking about it, Puel became the football equivalent of Brexit, very little middle ground with fans

There is plenty of middle ground - it just tends to attract the less noisy. 

Lots of us - in fact I'd guess pretty much all - KNOW he failed in crucial areas. The art of communication is in the response that you get, and if he failed to communicate, then that makes him a bad coach (or at least the wrong coach for us). He didn't destroy the club, he just (taking you at your word) brought everyone down and made obvious mistakes. This does not make him the devil incarnate, and nowhere near as bad as various managers we've had who shall remain nameless (but Peter Taylor is pretty close).

The club did right to get rid, and what a manager we appear to have now. You're clear in your view on Puel, you've stated it numerous times. Please help us move on, the example you set here will be followed...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I do miss the cheerful fella though and especially his joyful interviews :cool:

lol Geoff, you are a driven and unambiguous man. Let no-one question your commitment on this topic.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Should be offering him a new contract honestly, you could envisage Utd, Spurs and Arsenal coming in for him in the next 6 months. 

Signing a new contract, whether it be player or manager, sends out a positive message ... but if a player or manager desperately wants to leave then usually they do.

I wouldn't say "It's not worth the paper it's written on" but one shouldn't get too excited if it happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Signing a new contract, whether it be player or manager, sends out a positive message ... but if a player or manager desperately wants to leave then usually they do.

I wouldn't say "It's not worth the paper it's written on" but one shouldn't get too excited if it happened.

This is a grey area in football that could do with some shoring up. Make contracts binding beyond 'we'll just buy it'. It would level the playing field.

No more cynicism by club or player. For a club like ours the uncertainty would erased. Either you buy in or ship out. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

He Had both Maddison and Tielemans at he's disposal when he was sacked??? 

Think he had Tielemans for one part game didn't he? You're missing my point though ie the continuity and input, possibly even right back to NP you could argue. Puel was precisely (just imo) what we needed at that time, a hatchet man and recruiter. Would Rodgers have been able to do that? Who knows, his previous forrays into the transfer market aren't spectacular, but I doubt his personal ambitions would have seen him scurrying here the mess we were in and we really were in a mess and for that alone, I'm grateful to Puel for sorting some of that out. He'd inherrited a bunch of ill bought mismatched players to a large extent, some with egos bigger than their talent. 

Rodgers took over a good bet and he'll leave when an even better good bet comes along. Nothing necessarily wrong in that, he's an ambitious man but, I certainly don't see Spurs or Arsenal for a number of seasons as a better bet than us at this moment in time. Rodgers appears to be an excellent coach and man manager thus far but don't let's think for one minute its all down to him.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ha, no never, matey!!!!

I'm fairly neutral with my opinion on him and don't think people who dislike him have an agenda.

He was a Poor man manager with a boring style of style of play however I am balanced enough to see and give a tiny bit of credit for transition of the first team from the aging title winners who were slipping badly to our current young and vibrant incarnation.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, murphy said:

Henrik you joined us when Rodgers came here I believe?

So you missed out on the divisive Puel in/out debates that were raging here beforehand.  We were not always the happy and affable family that you see today  :ph34r:

..Oh, the fun we had!  :whistle:

Anyway, that's why his name tends to still crop up nowadays I suspect.

Yeah just as Rodgers left Celtic I joined here!

12 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Probably old news, but I wasn't aware.

Could well end up being the best £8.8 million we've ever spent.

8.8M ain’t bad split among the management team we poached. Kolo Toure’s work alone saved us from buying an expensive Maguire replacement. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

it could be argued that making statements about the future in interviews is far better than signing a new deal when the existing one has many years left on it.  however, players and the manager simply wont do it as it cuts down their negotiating room when those new deals are waved in front of them  

40 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Jon Rudkin's spending of £19million saved us from having to spend a large chunk of the Maguire transfer fee on a replacement. You forget Soyuncu was already a Turkish international and was signed off the back of a cracking season in the Bundesliga who had been linked with moves to Lille, Roma and Villareal. he wasn't as many fans seem to think a nothing player he was already a talent echoed by the fact he is the eighth most expensive signing ever and fifth most expensive at the time of signing. He cost £2 million more than Maguire had the previous season before. we have forward planning to thank rather than the change in management team. Just as Claudio had the great work of Pearson to thank for leaving a team with the talent he did and a set up that spotted the talent of Kante.

Fixed that first sentence. I didn't forget anything about Soyuncu (indeed, he was highly regarded, justifiably, when we bought him), who looks astronomically improved under this management and coaching team. Buying a player and developing him are also two different things, and the player himself has given loads of credit to Kolo.

Edited by The_77
Stupid typos
  • Thanks 2

9m to get Rodgers early seems expensive when we could have got him for cheaper in the summer but IMO shows you how much Top cares about the club. He was fed up of seeing miserable supporters especially after the passing of his father so acted decisively. 

And so so far the decision looks like an inspired one. That bedding in period Rodgers has is why we’ve started so well this season. 

• Like 3