Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Player Remembers: Steve Thompson

Great player for City, always gave his all and a proper grafter. Met his Mam in Blackpool, she worked or owned a supermarket and I nipped in to get a morning paper as me, the missus and a couple of our kids were up there for a few days, one of my lads had a City shirt on and she chatted for ages about City, very very proud of her son and a lovely lady...

• Like 3

Just lacked a yard of pace to be a top top player, had great range of passing and was a real team player, great memories of Tommo especially the equaliser against Swindon, I can still picture him now running away after scoring.

At that time they were good days to be a City fan, Brian Little was doing his thing and Tommo was a big part of it, it’s funny looking back how desperate we were for any kind of success, if they could only see us now! (They can, but it fitted nicely with my memories) different times, but such good memories.

• Like 1

The signature Thompson move was a switch of play involving a Cruyff turn in and around the centre circle followed by an always accurate 30/40 yard pass out to the winger.

As someone who started following the club in the early 90's, he was the first real quality technical footballer I saw for us.

• Like 1

Brilliant player. One of my first favourites. 

Still love watching his goal against Cambridge in the play-offs. Grayson forced his way into the area before it broke Thompson who slotted it in. The celebrations you can see were fantastic. 

Edited by pds

14 minutes ago, pds said:

Brilliant player. One of my first favourites. 

Still live watching his goal against Cambridge in the play-offs. Grayson forced his way into the area before it broke Thompson who slotted it in. The celebrations you can see were fantastic. 

Ah yes, what a night that was, we looked like we could beat anyone that night. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Ah yes, what a night that was, we looked like we could beat anyone that night. 

oh yes what a night

A beautiful evening

From memory

Wright from a corner in front of the Kop

Thompson made it 2-0 before half time

Rooster made it 3-0

Wright made it 4-0

Ormondroyd 5-0 

What a night it was

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

His goal against Swindon to make it 3-3 prompted the loudest noise I've ever heard at a football match.

There was a veritable crack of sound as the ball rolled in.   

Extraordinary scenes of celebration!

I completely agree about the noise when the goal was scored and was the loudest I have ever heard at any match I’ve been at

• Like 1

Was one of my favorite players of that era. Proper down to earth guy. I remember City playing Watford away, he was injured and he sat with the fans to watch the game. He sang all the songs, took the piss out of the other players and didn't mind other City fans who wanted to speak to him. Can't imagine any player doing that now. And yes like many others I can still remember that goal against Swindon, what a rollercoster of a day that was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rocket-Ron said:

That equaliser against Swindon.

Still makes the hairs on the back of my head stand up.:wub:

Iconic moment. Not the result we wanted but we had the joy of doing Derby over the following year which was very sweet.

Deeney's play off goal was also iconic and gives goosebumps and, likewise, it all turned out well in the longer term.