Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hack

The arrogance of the Media on the subject of the Top 6!!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. They will never accept us as genuine title contenders until there are 5 games to go and if we are still in the race. The media believe that success is directly correlated with the size of the club, with them also knowing that most people support one of the big 6, so keeping their interest is vital, for revenues...etc. We should be headlined on most shows like say the Debate on sky sports but the focus is always on one of the top 6 which they discuss for 45 mins and then the rest of us get a 15 min segment.

• Like 2

The long term health of the English game requires the top six to broken up and binned for good. A league in which certain sides can never be relegated and only a chosen few can win will eventually lose its lustre and appeal.

Unfortunately this is not just an English disease. You can bet that Talk Sport, for eg, will not spend much time today talking about Sheffield United or how well Wolves have done this season to combine a so far successful European campaing and still be in with a good chance of the top 6. They will be far more interested in trying to get rid of our manager to Arsenal or whatever other top team they deem to have the right to be where they are.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, reynard said:

The long term health of the English game requires the top six to broken up and binned for good. A league in which certain sides can never be relegated and only a chosen few can win will eventually lose its lustre and appeal.

Totally agree with this, it’s just not healthy for the game. 

As per the point of this thread, I do find it massively frustrating that so many media outlets try to force our players to leave. The way Sky behaved over the summer with Maguire was outrageous and I’m surprised the club didn’t make an official complaint about it. 

The thing I find really strange is that everyone loves an underdog story and Richard Scudamore the ex CEO of the Premier League even said their aim was to create more new winners because the viewing figures the Leicester City story brought in were absurd. It’s actually better for the media long term to have new clubs mix it up!

Also regarding us we are yet again setting the example for “regular” clubs in the country. No one can compete with oil money or the heritage Man U and Liverpool have, but if you get your house in order and have everyone pulling together then your club could feasibly replicate Leicester. Maybe not the title win, but to create a good team that can mix it with the best. And I’d argue to many real football fans in the country that’s more attention worthy than the latest overpriced Man U signing that isn’t performing. 

• Like 2

I agree but don't mind so much at moment as pressure and expectation are being deflected away from our boys onto the others. I thought Saturday was a new low when there was a further tv comment about the gap between Liverpool and Man City again, duh, hello, fan of invisible club here if you don't mind. But if the narrative of the season is Man City trying to catch Liverpool so be it, we'll go into our games without the incredible over hyped over analytical coverage that they'll get and according to ye olde rule book our three points are worth the same as big six club three points so we'll keep accumulating them and see where it takes us. 

Usually at least two of the big six miss out on Champions League, those owners / boards want answers and will heap pressure on their managers, let them feel that pressure, sometimes it leads to high performance often it leads to nerves and mistakes.

I do wonder what it would take to end the big six thing though, 2 or 3 consecutive years of us finishing in that 6 perhaps? Would they call it a seven or consider Arsenal to be a "former member"?

Edited by fazzyfox
few typo's, twas too early on a Monday for me
  • Like 2

It’s the immediate media (as I call them) that does it. After BBC radio Leicester went off air I switched to five live, and they were hideously bad, talking as if it was a done deal, and then some dingleberry of an arsenal fan comes on, and is talking as if he has already packed his bags and ****ed off. I know football is fickle sometimes, and this is going to sound a bit Keegan, but I would LOVE IT when he doesn’t go and they have nothing to write about....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MattFox said:

How many times have the Top 6 actually finished all in the Top 6 btw ??

Bet it’s a lot less then people think 

4 times in the PL?  There were long stretches where Liverpool weren't in it (which is probably why they're being pushed so hard now), and until 2009/10 Man City weren't up there, and 5 years before that Spurs weren't, so... Since those 4 times are fairly recent, it's definitely a recent invention (top 5 would have been valid before then, though!)  This season so far HAS been an anomaly so far for these some of these clubs though, so...

Which means we should have 4 years to make it a top 7 :D

• Like 1

That guy who was inteviewing Rodgers after the game needs a serious thumping, such an arragant **** with a forceful attitude. 

"Brendan can you confirm you have a buy-out clause in your contract?". What a loaded question that is. Next thing we have the media jumping on the Rodgers to Arsenal bandwagon, which then forces him to deny it. It's proper shit stirring.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hack said:

There is a serious attitude and arrogance which is not healthy in the media only wanting the top 6 (or perceived top 6, being Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs)  to be the legitimate title challengers.  It is if, how dare any other team force them to talk about them as contenders.  You little teams can't expect us to get to know who you are and if you do well, then hand over those players and coaches that are making you good now for the benefit of those that should be in the upper spots on the table.

This blatant media bias to not want other teams to be in Europe  contention or more importantly do what we did in 15/16 has to be reasoned by the sports editors and jurno's.  Is it because of advertisers only wanting the big 6 to be talked about?  Is it because the media haven't got a clue who anyone is, playing for the other 14 teams? is it because the pundits are all ex top 6 players and are there for colour commentary for their old teams?  Like our favorite Gary Lineker will always do his best to present the Foxes in a good light.

This fixation trying to get BR to leave for Arsenal  and our best players to leave for whoever as an example is poor in so many ways.  I would have thought the league and the media would love another cinderella story like ours 5 years ago and for the league to be healthy with genuine competition from lots of teams.  But NO they think you need to know your place and get back with the rest of your "kind" being cannon fodder for the big clubs, how dare you make them and us wrong!!  

BR was ridiculed when leaving Celtic for us, now he is not supposed to be our saviour and needs to resurrect the faltering Man U or Arsenal etc. he is now seen to be the best available manager for them.  Hang on, he has a great job and is doing it wonderfully, why not praise him and Leicester for it and persuade the ownership of the other teams to do their own homework and find the right person for them. This is beyond lazy journalism to just go hey, Brenden you are to good for the Foxes, so take more money and fix Arsenal!! i for one, have faith the BR won't leave what he has started for a team that is in disarray in more ways than on-field.  Rodgers legacy I am sure will be more enhanced by staying and making us not just the best of the rest, but perennial top 4/6.  i hope other teams from the mid to lower ends of the League do the same in the near future and show the media they need to rethink the rights of those that have been the top teams to those rights.

How about getting behind what is happening in Leicester again (as the only other team other than Chelsea and Man C) to have won the title in recent history, so why is it so hard to believe and accept it could happen again.  Long live the Rodgers reign and long live the team we have being a top 4 team and should be going forward.

So true, but look at Man City now, the richest club in the world, worth over £3.2b

1 hour ago, shailen said:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. They will never accept us as genuine title contenders until there are 5 games to go and if we are still in the race. The media believe that success is directly correlated with the size of the club, with them also knowing that most people support one of the big 6, so keeping their interest is vital, for revenues...etc. We should be headlined on most shows like say the Debate on sky sports but the focus is always on one of the top 6 which they discuss for 45 mins and then the rest of us get a 15 min segment.

We did get first spot on MOTD last night.

2 hours ago, Hack said:

Like our favorite Gary Lineker will always do his best to present the Foxes in a good light.

He's only just jumped on the Leicester bandwagon since we won the league prior to that it was very low key and often derogatory/jokey comments.

As for the top six having big followings yes that's true but with the constant talk and wall to wall showing of their games, even the historical games that sky show it always involves at least one of these teams then their overall support will continue to rise.

The only realistic way to break in is too be continually successful and to globally push your clubs name via commercial interests. 

As much as I dislike the whole imbalance of the PL I'm not that fussed about world wide followings as I'd much prefer those fans to follow and develop their own local clubs, I think it's quite sad that these world wide fans of the PL don't have a local team that they can follow that appeals to them. 

• Like 1

To be honest BR left the door ajar about it being “out of his hands” in the interview after last night’s game. There appears to be a £14m release clause in his Leicester City contract. 

He could/should have called it there and then last night. “I’m not leaving here for x years” or “Forget it, I’m not interested”: but he didn’t. 

He is no doubt ambitious and I could see this happening, unbelievably as it sounds given where we are and their current mess. 

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I don't see any media bias towards the top 6, I'm not saying it isn't there I just don't waste my time listening to talksport or having sky sports news on a constant loop or trawling Twitter for any mention of Leicester. (I waste it on here in my Leicester loving echo chamber)

If you don't like it don't listen/watch/subscribe there is quality journalism out there, like the Athletic and tactics based podcasts and YouTube channels. 

The point about the media bias is the constant attempt to undermine the holding of players and coaches/mangers towards the traditional big clubs.  The reporting time given to smaller markets is sort of understandable, but the pushing for BR and or our players to leaver for" a bigger" club is my main issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

How have people still not let this sink in yet? 

Journalism is a product and its never been a more competitive market. Sky are competing with BT, the tabloids are competing with each other and there's now millions of blogs, websites, vlogs and apps all trying to push football content for advertising revenue and subscriptions. 

You sell by appealing to the most people you can and football fans are overly precious, sensitive, delicate flowers. I mean just look at this thread, or our people talking about us thread. Even or thread for pundit predictions or the one about players in teams of the week really serves for people to just moan about lcfc getting overlooked. 

Football fans want to hear nice things about their team and there's more United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans than anyone else. So that's what they write and talk about, it's just economics. It's nothing personal but little old Leicester don't make them a lot of money beyond pushing the "miracle" line. 

It's shit that it's that way but you should all be used to it by now. The Big Six is a narrative in itself that makes these people billions as an industry every year, its not going to change unless half the country (or half of China) becomes a Leicester glory supporter. 

Even Man City suffer from this, the coverage they get compared to United and Liverpool is often a bit dismissive and brief, so even if we ended up being multiple league winners you can bet we'd never get the attention of United and Arsenal even if they've still not won owt. 

Just shows you how sad it is, I have closed all my sky accounts and other useless media ones.

Great post.  It seems to be this year more than any other in terms of the media trying to sabotage our squad/management.  This doesn't annoy me half as much as most pundits still looking down on us.  Danny Murphy, Paul Merson, Charlie Nicolas, Savage, Sutton...I could go on.  They all seem blinkered, fixated, desperate for the top 6 to return to the 'big clubs' so normal service can be resumed.

Let's keep disrupting this industry, that's all i can say.