Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hack

The arrogance of the Media on the subject of the Top 6!!

10 hours ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

I’m not sure we can be called a ‘small club’ once the training ground is complete and most importantly the stadium is increased to 40/42,000 or whatever the proposal was.

Definitely not.Chelsea weren’t really a big club before abramovic took over and pumped all his money in.And Man City were always in Utds shadow before they were taken over.It can only make the prem more exciting with clubs like Leicester,wolves etc expanding the infrastructure of their clubs.New training ground,and 45k expansion would perfect!The only way is up for Leicester!Come on you foxes!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, browniefox said:

It won't be long until there is no Big 6. The money coming into all the other teams, allowing them to hold on to their players will create a tighter league. 

The sooner the better if you ask me. I think I may have said last year that the extra money would level the playing field and apart from Liverpool I think that's being shown. 

The media are always the last to catch on, it's going to take a while (or for a none traditional big club to win the league again) before they do. The sooner the better. 

It’s true the smaller Prem clubs can dictate terms on transfers more now.The big clubs will always get their man though(Vardy Le Tiss apart).They are the big 6 because their turnovers blow everyone else out the water.Not only do they get regular CL payments,they can do multimillion £ deals involving sponsors,endorsements and ground naming rights.They will always be one step ahead.Having the biggest wage bill usually means you finish the season at the top.Thats true in most levels of professional sport.Man U and Arsenal will be back unfortunately.Whoever is behind our recent success is a bloody genius.

Edited by Heathrow fox

5 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

I think the Premier League is in the middle of a big realignment. It's really exciting. 

It takes more than money to win titles. It takes team spirit, community, effort, optimism. A corporation can't buy those things. Only a community can make them. 

As the lower PL clubs get richer the gap between sides is determined more by those intangibles. This is why Leicester are rising. They have quite a bit of money but still are basically a community club. 

Toxic outfits like ManU and Arsenal, who rely just on superior wealth, are fading. I have a feeling this could be permanent and not just a few bad seasons. The media will be the last ones to realize this. 

Interesting times we live in...

Would love this to be true but I fear normal service will resume.Even the financial rules are bent to give the big boys an advantage.Blatantly cheating and getting caught doesn’t affect them.Arsenal and Man U have both lost their main men in recent seasons,both were warned about this.They will eventually turn it around.Chelsea are in transition.Pep obviously has his eye on the CL.Tottenham have gone through the upheaval of moving grounds but are up and running again.The likes of us and Wolves have to work 3 times harder than them and seek every single advantage.Which we currently are doing 5 fold.If the big boys have a bad season they finish mid table.If we have a bad season we go down,that’s the difference😐

11 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

TBF whilst all of this is true, we aren't exactly struggling for positive media attention

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7621891/Leicester-City-reason-expect-Champions-League-season.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50225585

https://believeperform.com/the-success-of-leicester-city-fc/

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/09/how-brendan-rodgers-has-turned-leicester-into-what-unai-emery-said-arsenal-would-be-11055595/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/leicester-citys-second-miracle-11574361829

That took me less than 5 minutes to dig up.

Last night we were first on MOTD 2 ahead of the mighty Manchester United. We've got games stacked up on BT Sky and Amazon (as has everyone) over the coming month.

Some people will not be happy to till the media is completely Leicester-centric and Chris Sutton and Mark Lawrenson are sacked for not liking us as much as we feel they should do it seems.

It's funny as in the do they mean us thread not so long ago there was a pack of Liverpool fans complaining that we get far too much coverage.

I dont think anyone is asking for that, we just dont want the media treating us as a stepping stone club, the moment we start seeing a good run of games, suddenly players and managers been linked with moves away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Great thread. I am sure it reflects the attitude of many fans. I for one am sick and tired of reading articles every day linking our players and manager with a so called Top Six side.

They don’t say Kevin De Bruyne is doing great at Man City so hey he should leave for any other club. 

It is unsettling and almost a crusade to help ensure the so called Top Six remain Top 6.

When we look closer, we often hear a random pundit, eg. Sutton, say something on TV. Another journalist will then report that as a news worthy event. That in turn then generates another piece and another piece. Soon it becomes almost like the truth. It is not even like it is a rumour that starts with some alleged leak from the inside. It is just everyone reporting what everyone else in the industry is saying, keeping the click baits going and keeping their jobs. 

A story might go around like this:

- Sutton says Rodgers suck and he thinks Leicester is a small club and should leave for Arsenal and take Chilwell with him

- A reporter then writes a piece about the above

- Other reporters then repeat the above

- Reporters and pundits then go on and say it has been “widely” reported that Rodgers may leave for Arsenal taking Chilwell with him

- Some twat will then speculate that it would take Arsenal £20m for Rodgers and £60m for Chilwell

- Some TV pundit (eg. Neville) will then take that on, because he actually doesnt do his homework and simply read today’s news before going on TV. He might say there are lots of speculations of Rodgers and Chilwell going to Arsenal and apparently for £80m. He might then add his own opinion about whether it makes sense because Arsenal is a Top Six club.

- Other pundits will then jump on the bandwagon and add to it, all sounding as if they have inside gossip, but all originally based on what, unm, Sutton said

- player agent for Chilwell may then seize the opportunity and add fuel to the speculation to generate a transfer for Chilwell or at least a pay rise so that he gets paid his fees

It is all crap.

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/www.football.london/arsenal-fc/brendan-rodgers-next-arsenal-manager-17352951.amp

Here we go again.

Us winning the title just showed the media for what they are. 

The media’s rhetoric in 2016: Leicester made us all dream and believe anything is possible. a few months later: know your place be grateful for not being relegated.  

Edited by Lambert09

Did you notice that when the fa cup draw was about to take place,  there was a list put up of the draw numbers to look out for. 

First six shown were the supposedly top six premier clubs. 

Man City, Man U, Chelsea,Arsenal ,Liverpool and Spurs!

Just shows that’s all the media  think about. 

Still not complaining, the longer we’re off the radar the better. Means we can go about our business relatively unnoticed. 

Mainstream sports media is clickbait shite now. Sky are so predictable when anyone outside the top 6 is doing well, we just read and hear why they should go to Arsenal or Man United because "ThEy Is A bIgGeR ClAb JePH".

I saw the posted an article last night reading "Grealish passes United audition". **** off

1 hour ago, demon_dog said:

Did you notice that when the fa cup draw was about to take place,  there was a list put up of the draw numbers to look out for. 

Still not complaining, the longer we’re off the radar the better. Means we can go about our business relatively unnoticed. 

It’s because they have the biggest fan bases in the country. It’s why West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds and Everton are on telly so much despite being pants. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, demon_dog said:

Yes, that's why I took note of Liverpool being 22 and therefore knew we had a homer (for a change) when 21 came out first. Ward and Nacho already on the team sheet

16 hours ago, Hack said:

I really am not sure people really read my post and what i am saying.  It has nothing to do with getting praise for the club nor is it about what they think of the club, but the bias of keeping a certain status quo in club hierarchy in the Premier League.  my point uses us and how we are doing, but it could be about any of the other 14 teams that make up the PL. All the media want to talk about and speculate about is 6 clubs. Yes it is driven by size of market and audience but I feel that is naive . 

It was more about the replies to your post than the content of your original post.

• Like 1

To add if we keep the form up, we become a big story and the media coverage grows.

You’ll find plenty of Spurs fans moaned during 15/16 that it appeared we were favoured by the media. 

Simply we were the bigger story so the media focused on us. 

At the moment, the struggles of a number of ‘bigger’ clubs sees that prioritised 

6 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Can anybody actually define what the term "big club" actually means?

It's usually defined to strengthen the agenda of the person making the argument. It could have multiple meanings, but the most relevant definition is surely recent success and trophies won. Clubs like Everton, Forest and Leeds take out the word 'recent' from that to fit their agenda, clubs like Newcastle, Tottenham and Arsenal will say fan base is the biggest factor. The newspapers will say being based in London is the biggest factor, but the truth is we are all biased and the smart man says Leicester are the biggest club in the world, and if you disagree you are fake news. 

On 02/12/2019 at 07:39, Finnegan said:

How have people still not let this sink in yet? 

Journalism is a product and its never been a more competitive market. Sky are competing with BT, the tabloids are competing with each other and there's now millions of blogs, websites, vlogs and apps all trying to push football content for advertising revenue and subscriptions. 

You sell by appealing to the most people you can and football fans are overly precious, sensitive, delicate flowers. I mean just look at this thread, or our people talking about us thread. Even or thread for pundit predictions or the one about players in teams of the week really serves for people to just moan about lcfc getting overlooked. 

Football fans want to hear nice things about their team and there's more United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans than anyone else. So that's what they write and talk about, it's just economics. It's nothing personal but little old Leicester don't make them a lot of money beyond pushing the "miracle" line. 

It's shit that it's that way but you should all be used to it by now. The Big Six is a narrative in itself that makes these people billions as an industry every year, its not going to change unless half the country (or half of China) becomes a Leicester glory supporter. 

Even Man City suffer from this, the coverage they get compared to United and Liverpool is often a bit dismissive and brief, so even if we ended up being multiple league winners you can bet we'd never get the attention of United and Arsenal even if they've still not won owt. 

Whilst it's true of these 3 of the big 6, outside of London and Manchester, Chelsea, Spurs and Man City fans are, whilst more numerous than City (sic) fans outside of Leicester, hardly going to fill the local pub when on Sky.

Chelsea especially, without the Abramovich money, could easily be just another club.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu